Upgrades To The Super Pit

NT03

We would also love to hear from you guys about what upgrades you would like to see at the Super Pit. from RV's chat

I want the student section to be on the floor right behind the goals to distract the opposing teams free throw shooter like this :story-behind-the-speedo-guy.jpg

Edited by NT03

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the student section to be on the floor right behind the goals to distract the opposing teams free throw shooter like this

And that guy forever banned from college basketball games across the country. That or an upper deck beer garden with a view of the game. Then that guy might become more palatable...or downright attractive.

Adequate concession areas would be nice....the lines are too long sometimes. Also, get rid of those hokie conference banners around the bottom of the floor and put them somewhere in the concourse. Better yet, just show them electronically on the electronic board a couple of times during the game with the SunBelt logo. Also, put the ticket sales further inside the concourse so as to allow people to line up to buy tickets inside instead of lined up out the door...more than one ticket table would be good. Sadly, crowds probably don't dictate those changes right now. However, if we ever had a real crowd for a game it would be a zoo with the current configuration. A drinks only concession would probably speed things up, too.

The first thing I would do and redo the locker rooms. Although I have never seen them, I am willing to bet they are really old looking. If we were to invest in really fancy locker rooms I bet it would pay in recruiting.

The Second thing I would do is cosmetic changes both inside and outside the super pit. Although I think the super pit is a great venue, let be honest its ugly! If the university made some updates to the outside of the pit as well as the concourse I think it would make a huge difference. For example, I would like something to be done with the gigantic ugly black roof outside. Additionally, I think the walls and flooring on the concourse are really ugly as well. If the university updated these three aspects I think the pit would look awesome.

Third, I would like to see a jumbo tron. I think the jumbo tron would really add to the pit in that it would make the program feel more "big time."

Finally, I do not like how the court is sunken. Thus, I would lift the court and ground floor to be level with the first row seats. I think this would allow the crowd to have a greater effect on opposing teams during free throws.

Don't know how it's changed since I've been there, but the concessions used to be as bad/worse than a high school football game. Get someone in there that does something other than warming up gigantic buckets of imitation cheese and pouring it over tostitos. Take a cue from the Rangers who have a regular concession or two, and then a specialty for fries or fajita dogs, or whatever.

There needs to be a team store somewhere in the Super Pit. It brings in money from bored people, and allows first timers or people who can't get to the UU to have some NT gear. It seems like such a no-brainer, but I guess it isn't?

I'm also in favor of a traditional scoreboard over the court. I know it would probably cost $1m or more, but it would do amazing things for the atmosphere.

On gameday, I think they should have banners like the one below (with SOW and "Mean Green" on it, of course) at least on the side of the Pit that faces NT Blvd.

BuildingWrap_0.jpg

DIMMABLE LIGHTS! I know it's a huge investment, and don't know what the payoff would be, but having dimmable lights and a scoreboard at the center of the arena with some sort of production right before the players are introduced? :o

I'm sure there are other things that could be improved, but that's my list for now.

The Second thing I would do is cosmetic changes both inside and outside the super pit. Although I think the super pit is a great venue, let be honest its ugly! If the university made some updates to the outside of the pit as well as the concourse I think it would make a huge difference. For example, I would like something to be done with the gigantic ugly black roof outside. Additionally, I think the walls and flooring on the concourse are really ugly as well. If the university updated these three aspects I think the pit would look awesome.

I have never been to an attractive bball area. The status quo seems to be court + school-color seats + concrete floors/steps.

I really like the Super Pit. I do not know a lot about the behind-the-scenes area.

Edited by greenminer

DIMMABLE LIGHTS! I know it's a huge investment, and don't know what the payoff would be, but having dimmable lights and a scoreboard at the center of the arena with some sort of production right before the players are introduced? :o

I'm sure there are other things that could be improved, but that's my list for now.

I talked with RV about being able to dim the lights and he said there is too much risk involved. There are no hand rails plus the stairs are not lit, so it is a trip hazard and the university would be held liable if someone were to fall and get hurt when the lights are dimmed/turned off. This may or may not be the reason why the Pit hasn't hosted a concert in a long long time.

I also asked RV about future upgrades and one thing he said he wanted to add was LED ad boards that would line the baseline of the court.

While I understand people's desire for an overhead scoreboard, it isn't nice when you are sitting very close to the floor. You literally have to look straight up to see it. This was how things were at the Hot Springs conference tournament. If we do get an overhead scoreboard, I'd want us to keep (or upgrade) the existing boards we have. A better sound system would also be a nice thing to add.

I have never been to an attractive bball area. The status quo seems to be court + school-color seats + concrete floors/steps.

I really like the Super Pit. I do not know a lot about the behind-the-scenes area.

This statement is somewhat true. However, why not make ours the exception? I think such upgrades would help take the program to the next level by adding to the wow factor instead of taking away from it.

This is good!! I was a student at North Texas when the Super Pit was built. The campus talk all evolved around how this was going to lift our BB program to the next levels, bring increased recognition to North Texas, fill the seats, etc, etc. Most of the same augments for the new football stadium were used 35 years ago for the Super Pit. Thirty-five years from now, will we be complaining that the new stadium is ugly?

If you think it is ugly now, you should have seen it when it was built. Instead of green upholstery, all the seats were burnt orange! The exterior was designed in the "brutalist" style of architecture which was in vogue at the time. There is another classroom building on campus built in the same style. I don't know what they call that building now but it has no windows and is near the museum.

State of the Art scoreboard over the court would be nice!

GMG

Im sure Jerry could spare us part of his. I wouldnt mind having a video scoreboard over the court, or at least bigger video screens at each end where the scoreboard is now.

Adequate concession areas would be nice....the lines are too long sometimes. Also, get rid of those hokie conference banners around the bottom of the floor and put them somewhere in the concourse. Better yet, just show them electronically on the electronic board a couple of times during the game with the SunBelt logo. Also, put the ticket sales further inside the concourse so as to allow people to line up to buy tickets inside instead of lined up out the door...more than one ticket table would be good. Sadly, crowds probably don't dictate those changes right now. However, if we ever had a real crowd for a game it would be a zoo with the current configuration. A drinks only concession would probably speed things up, too.

Half of the concession stands are always closed, never understood that.

They should put in a few ticket sales windows on the sides of the pit. You know, they way EVERY other sports venue in the world does.

Get someone in there that does something other than warming up gigantic buckets of imitation cheese and pouring it over tostitos.

There needs to be a team store somewhere in the Super Pit. It brings in money from bored people, and allows first timers or people who can't get to the UU to have some NT gear. It seems like such a no-brainer, but I guess it isn't?

On gameday, I think they should have banners like the one below (with SOW and "Mean Green" on it, of course) at least on the side of the Pit that faces NT Blvd.

BuildingWrap_0.jpg

Gagree about the food selection. There is a portion of the Pit's concourse that is unusally wide. This would be the PERFECT place to put in a small memorbilla store. I dont know about a vertical banner, but a large horizontal one would look good.

Hey, I still thank God we got reid of those orange seats.

As I remember, the ceiling in the Super Pit used to be white. Now it is a flat black which sucks all the life and out of the building. If the ceiling was white, the light would reflect back down and create a brighter, more energetic atmosphere. The green seats contribute to the darkness, but of course they need to stay.

For being almost 40 years old the SuperPit is still a quality facility. The sightlines are good from every seat and the concourses are wide in the concession areas. The seating change from Orange to Green seats with cupholders was a huge improvement. The video boards are nice, but too small and distant in their current locations.

As for changes, I agree with many already suggested. Larger video boards. The need to move the ticket purchase and entry points further into the concourse so fans are not waiting outside, especially on the NT Blvd side. Open additional concession areas for pre-game and halftime, add drink-only lines. Add a ring of lightboards to floorlevel, midlevel, and upperlevel to coordinate with music or spur fan support. Add more exterior lighting, ability to light the outside of the SuperPit in bright Green on game nights or after wins. Add quality OOC opponents....and get us into CUSA!!!

Edited by NT80

Agreed with everything except for CUSA. Last thing I want for athletics, and especially basketball, is to be dragged down with SMU, Rice, and Tulane. UTEP, Houston, and Tulsa are fine, but they wouldn't draw that many more people to the games than any other D1 opponent, imo.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

CUSA is a stronger basketball conference at the top with Memphis. But depth wise it really isn't that much of a step up. In fact the Belt has gotten 2 teams to the NCAA recently than CUSA has. However, it should be noted that Tulsa did with the innagural CBI, and UTEP was in the finals last season. Can't spell CBI without CUSA?

Agreed with everything except for CUSA. Last thing I want for athletics, and especially basketball, is to be dragged down with SMU, Rice, and Tulane. UTEP, Houston, and Tulsa are fine, but they wouldn't draw that many more people to the games than any other D1 opponent, imo.

Strictly from an attendance standpoint we would draw better hosting SMU, Rice, Tulane, UTEP, Houston, or Tulsa than against most all SBC teams. Travel to those locations would be easier for NT fans too.

Most NT fans won't travel from Carrollton to Denton, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Second, the current CUSA setup is the "Memphis Conference" where Memphis dominates everyone in the league and then gets the sole bid to the tourney in March. The bottom half of the conference is as bad or worse than the bottom half of the Sunbelt. I can somewhat see the draw for football, although I think being in a conference with four other Texas schools hurts recruiting. In basketball, the CUSA just makes very little sense at all. That is unless you never want to be active again well into March.

Most NT fans won't travel from Carrollton to Denton, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Second, the current CUSA setup is the "Memphis Conference" where Memphis dominates everyone in the league and then gets the sole bid to the tourney in March. The bottom half of the conference is as bad or worse than the bottom half of the Sunbelt. I can somewhat see the draw for football, although I think being in a conference with four other Texas schools hurts recruiting. In basketball, the CUSA just makes very little sense at all. That is unless you never want to be active again well into March.

I say basketball attendance would double playing known, regional CUSA teams rather than SBC schools. Plus we'd get double the print and TV media coverage. CUSA would be a much better conference for North Texas in all sports, not just basketball. Having the closest SBC conference opponent now 300 miles away is not economically sound.

Attendance would not double for regularly bringing in CUSA schools. It wouldn't even come close to that. Coverage would only be higher when we play a "local" school. Again, unless you think that we can top Memphis or that CUSA is going to start getting multiple bids, there's absolutely no way it's a better basketball conference for us.