• Create Account

Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com Forum

Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com Forum, home of University of North Texas students, alumni and fans.  Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the GoMeanGreen.com family by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Get access to the chat room, member map, arcade, photo gallery and much, much more!
  • Customize your experience here
  • Access premium content and features only available to registered members
  • Registration is simple and easy as we allow use of valid Google, Facebook and Twitter accounts:  Click here to register
Thanks for visiting and as always -- GO MEAN GREEN!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who Is Damon West?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GreenBat

GreenBat

GoMeanGreen.com Addict

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

Just saw a report on channel 8 that said former UNT QB Damon West was the Mastermind behind a burlary crew in Uptown Dallas. I've been following NT for 20 years. When did this guy play?

Edited by GreenBat, 15 May 2009 - 07:29 PM.

My Name is Brett Tulloss

I'd rather have an honest enemy, than a fake friend!

When is Rick Villarreal going to admit that Tony Benford means LOSING College basketball?

QUOTE (Kenneth Lyons from July 3, 2011 George Riba, Ch. 8 WFAA report) 

"I'm Mean Green for life!"

I support Markeith Knowlton for the 2014 NT Hall of Fame!

#2 gangrene

gangrene

Mean Green Eagle

• Moderators
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

I remember this story from last year. Here's the gmg thread about it. You should find all your answer there.
"Sports are "side-events" for fans and it is supposed to be enjoyable." - KRAM1

"How you respond to the challenge in the second half will determine what you become after the game, whether you are a winner or a loser. " - Lou Holtz

Past performance does not guarantee future success.

#3 DeepGreen

DeepGreen

"Has an Offer You Can't Refuse" Eagle

• Members
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(GreenBat @ May 15 2009, 06:20 PM) View Post
Just saw a repot on channel 8 that said former UNT QB Damon West was the Mastermind behind a burlary crew in Uptown Dallas. I've been following then T for 20 years. When did this guy play?

Damon West was a very capable 5A QB out of Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson (now Memorial HS), and son of Port Arthur News Sports Editor Bob West. I don't have a football guide in front of me but I believe he played in '96 - '97 as a true Freshman. He got his baptism against Arizona State. His Soph. year he was injured against Texas A & M and was out for the season. The following summer as he was preparing for the fall season, he slipped in his shower and cut/tore his achilles tendon. That was the end of his career. I want to say that he did get a degree from NT but I'm not sure. What a waste of talent, and what a shame that he is involved burglary.

If I find my media guide I'll update this post.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste the protected will never know.

"Nothing wrong with me that a little Grey Goose won't cure." - Coach Dan McCarney

helmet-70eagle3.png

#4 SUMG

SUMG

You've been a great audience...

• Members
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(DeepGreen @ May 15 2009, 06:39 PM) View Post
Damon West was a very capable 5A QB out of Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson (now Memorial HS), and son of Port Arthur News Sports Editor Bob West. I don't have a football guide in front of me but I believe he played in '96 - '97 as a true Freshman. He got his baptism against Arizona State. His Soph. year he was injured against Texas A & M and was out for the season. The following summer as he was preparing for the fall season, he slipped in his shower and cut/tore his achilles tendon. That was the end of his career. I want to say that he did get a degree from NT but I'm not sure. What a waste of talent, and what a shame that he is involved burglary.

If I find my media guide I'll update this post.

Deep...I remember him being around here for several years. But the media guide shows that he was a letter winner in only one year---1995.

Edited by SUMG, 15 May 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#5 shaft

shaft

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

So he was on the team when they stole those VCRs?

#6 eulesseagle

eulesseagle

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:56 AM

http://www.dallasnew...n1.4ce5f5c.html

re: west

#7 SilverEagle

SilverEagle

LOTS OF ATTITUDE at No Extra Charge Eagle

• Members
  • 9,120 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

This just burns my butt. Every time someone commits a crime, and if they ever spent one day as a student or athlete at North Texas, their main identity then becomes "Former UNT Student/Athete (insert name here)". Since he was most recently hired to work as an aid to Garry Mauro, why couldn't his identity be "Former aid to Garry Mauro, Damon West on trial"?..... mad.gif
I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE!

MADNESS TAKES IT'S TOLL........PLEASE HAVE CORRECT CHANGE.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
-Sinclair Lewis

#8 eulessismore

eulessismore

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(SilverEagle @ May 16 2009, 08:24 AM) View Post
This just burns my butt. Every time someone commits a crime, and if they ever spent one day as a student or athlete at North Texas, their main identity then becomes "Former UNT Student/Athete (insert name here)". Since he was most recently hired to work as an aid to Garry Mauro, why couldn't his identity be "Former aid to Garry Mauro, Damon West on trial"?..... mad.gif

Probably for the same reason that the Yahoo article about Bruce Smith's DUI arrest refers to him as "former NFL star" instead of "hotel developer".

Wikipedia on Bruce Smith

And, let's face it, even among us diehard Democrats, Garry Mauro is pretty much old news, unless you know something I don't. There was a feature posted on the Internet yesterday about Lane Kiffen's(sp?) search for a starting quarterback at Tennessee, which stated how important it is for their quarterback to have good character. Maybe this shows why: "ex quarterback of <place university name here> arrested for <put crime here>" just sells newspapers. Rent a copy of the old movie "Shipping News" to hear a good explanation of why controversial headlines are good for newspapers.
eulessismore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users