?'s On Our Talent Level

Green Dozer

Just curious, but I have read a couple of posts that say that Dodge new there was not much talent when he came here. One said that freshmen and sophomores beating out juniors/seniors is an indication. What I would like to know, is there that much difference between our talent and the players at Rice, Tulsa, and other mid-majors? Yes, points put up against us by these teams answer the question to some. But, is it really true, or does Dodge not know how to prepare (motivation, work ethic, etc) at the college level?

We have no team speed period. Deloach has been a very successful so something gives. The whole team is young. Every kid other than Toby on defense and Casey on offense is young and is asked to make all the plays. Where is Latiff? Where is Sticker? Where are the Juco OL man and the Juco DB's?

We have little if any leadership and confidence coming from Juniors and especially seniors, Zip, nada, nothing.

Just curious, but I have read a couple of posts that say that Dodge new there was not much talent when he came here. One said that freshmen and sophomores beating out juniors/seniors is an indication. What I would like to know, is there that much difference between our talent and the players at Rice, Tulsa, and other mid-majors? Yes, points put up against us by these teams answer the question to some. But, is it really true, or does Dodge not know how to prepare (motivation, work ethic, etc) at the college level?

Right on!!!! I follow recruiting closely, and DD's last few years were really really really bad in terms of recruiting. And this is what has come from those last few years of DD recruiting. This isn't meant to start a DD debate. But honestly his last few years were horendous. There is talent on this team, and there is speed on this team. Young talent and young speed. Both Tulsa and Rice have very good teams. Rice is being led by a couple of 4 yr starting Srs.

Talent level my rear-end!

We had a defense full of upperclassmen last year - guys who were either redshirting or freshmen during our last Sun Belt title run, guys with experience.

It's coaching.

Worth repeating - Dodge is the one who said the talent and speed of opposing DBs surprised him in year one. Ridiculously arrogant. It just shows that the guy expected to walk into Denton and have the college football world fall at his feet. Now, he won't even make post-game comments.

Anyone, with half a brain knows the game of football is won and lost on the lines. But, Dodge has spent two recruiting classes loading up at WR and DB. It's so stupid it's maddening to think about.

There is no "pipeline to Dodge" of the top high school recruits. No one cared. Not one of them ever cared. Kids want to win. They want to go to bowl games. They want to play on TV. They could give a flying flip about what a coach did in high school. The best of Dodge's own high school players don't even choose to come play for him.

As I said last season, it's a joke. A sham. A circus act with Rick Villareal in the middle wearing the tophat. We're the suckers in the crowd. Sucked in time and again by the smoke and mirrors that have produced nothing.

It's a masterful performance by Villareal, too, you've got to admit. He's got many so mesmerized that they turned on the only coach in the history of the school to produce a bowl winning team, and the only one to produce multiple bowl participating teams.

It's a ruse, you all. Nothing but a ruse. And, it will continue until we get a president and board who understand what type of leadership it takes to run a major college athletic program in the 21st Century.

Popcorn, anyone?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

There is a serious dearth of talent on this team. It has been like this for 4 years. Remember the Vic Trilli days when the talent left because of his coaching? That kind of dearth of talent.

I had the opportunity to choose between golf at White Bluff or watch the UNT/FIU game next weekend, I chose golf. This just isn't any fun for me when my team can't compete. I've got better things to do. Please don't get me wrong, I would like to see a rebuilding process. This is just too bad to spend my time watching every home game.

So count me in as one of the guys that says it's talent.

That all being said, Adler has it figured out. We need to address "The Problem."

Come-on !!!

Even decent Sophomore and Freshman and no upperclassmen should do better than we are doing... allowing 50+ per game... or even 70 to Rice. There may be a shortage of talent BUT this is the worst North Texas has done in our ENTIRE history of football.

Come-on !!!

Even decent Sophomore and Freshman and no upperclassmen should do better than we are doing... allowing 50+ per game... or even 70 to Rice. There may be a shortage of talent BUT this is the worst North Texas has done in our ENTIRE history of football.

Here is what gets me about the Rice game (other than the simple fact that it was Rice) - they had 77 points on the board with 3 minutes left in the THIRD quarter. And, they had already stopped trying on offense at that point. If they just score one more time it is 84 and two more times it would have been as bad as when Andre Ware and Houston beat SMU 91 to 20something years ago. That is futility folks. It will be interesting to see the line for this weeks game.

And to think we were only 16 point underdogs to Rice.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

they had 77 points on the board with 3 minutes left in the THIRD quarter.

Right, and Cook then brought the kickoff out to the NT 37 yard line and what did we do 4 plays later? We threw yet another FREAKING PASS..........for an INT. Now that's.....well,..................I don't even know what you call that? :bangin: It's a wonder Rice didn't put up 120 plus?

Rick

My vote goes to the lack of coaching camp over the lack of talent camp. Not to say that we are loaded with talent, but there are just TOO MANY mistakes being made out there. I remember the days when we were basically recruiting over half of our kids from small town North Texas communities like Pilot Point and Sanger and we were still competitive. We may not have been lighting the college football world on fire, but we we certainly played tough and were not embarrassing ourselves out on the football field. It's pretty obvious to me that changes need to be made. Anyone have any clues as to who is coordinating and monitoring our off season conditioning and training program? That looks to me to be a total failure over the last couple of years. It needs to be a MAJOR priority if we want good things to happen at NT. I know that it ain't easy to monitor kids 24/7 365 days a year, but if your talent level is marginal, the more success that you have with your players in the off season, the more likely you are to have success in the "on season."

I would say no to this question, but one can't help be be alarmed knowing the D has 2 true freshman starting. The hardest thing for mid-major schools is getting enough talent & experience on the defensive side of the ball. True freshman can come right in and make an immediate impact on offense at ANY level of college football, but not so much on the defensive side. The defensive side of the ball requires major experience & athletic ability to be an impact player. The defense flat out lacks an impact player, specifically on the D line & at LB.

Offensively, I personally think this team has "enough" talent to compete, but just lacks speed at the WR & QB positions for what Dodge wants to do(or just hasn't shown it yet with 20+ WR's already riding the bench). A true dual threat QB would THRIVE in this system. Can Riley do it?? I don't know with his height (I know he's listed at 6ft but he can't be more than 5'10") and seeing how that High School team from Miami killed him with their team speed, I have my reservations.

Special Teams, i won't even get into that. Bottom line, you have to win 2 of the 3 phases of Football to win. This team ALREADY gives up one phase on special teams.

Edited by Got5onIt