Please Provide Some In-game Updates

SouthBendGreen

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts of this thread proves the old saying that some people will complain about anything. With DD it was always throw the ball. Now with TD it's why can't we run. People piss me off at times.
If we were winning no one would complain. That's the issue. Regardless of whether we are running with DD or passing with TD the end result is the same...losing.

If we were winning no one would complain. That's the issue. Regardless of whether we are running with DD or passing with TD the end result is the same...losing.

IT IS GAME #2 of Dodge's NT career... The program is going through tremendous change. I want to win, but I am going to give Dodge some time before I start complaining about losing under his helm.

what we saw was Meager rake in the yards but anytime there was the least bit of pressure he folded like a card house. Look at the last 2 INTs and the sacks in the last few drives. Won't even comment on the snap screw-up while down at the 1 yd line. Bring on Vizza, Meager has already had plenty of time.

You are complaining about a guy that posted a 156 passer rating. Why don't you go bowl a 270 (Is that possible? Hopefully, you still get my point) and lose. That's probably your fault, because you cracked under the pressure, right?

You are complaining about a guy that posted a 156 passer rating. Why don't you go bowl a 270 (Is that possible? Hopefully, you still get my point) and lose. That's probably your fault, because you cracked under the pressure, right?

If Meager cracker under the pressure, then what in the hell did the defense do?

Hopefully Gilmore can work his way into the lineup; their seems to be some openings on the defense for playmakers.

Yea, I'm disappointed in the loss, but to try and say that this is just same old same old is just crazy. It's going to be same old same old for awhile. I HATE throwing out this cliche, but it's true. Rome wasn't built in a day. Damn, I feel like a dork for even typing that, but it's true. Yea it sucks to lose and our D probably will suck all year, but I still sense something different with our program and it's good! It's positive and we can take a lot of positives from tonight's game. If we just get better on a week to week basis I can't complain and won't. In our society today we want instant gratification, it ain't gonna happen! As my mom always said Patience is a virtue. How about that, two lame cliches in one post.

I will admit I really wanna see what Vizza can do on the field, but at the same time Meager showed tonight that he can make plays. I'm just a frustrated as everyone else is, but a majority of our problems tonight were on defense. They need to step it up next game. Hopefully they can take these next two weeks to work on adjustments and more importantly...tackling. Here's to hoping we see an improved defense in two weeks.

Edited by cdizzle86

I'm not asking for a running game.

I'm asking for a defense that can hold their own and a quarterback that doesn't fold under pressure.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but after watching the game in person, our entire defense is just too small and too slow to compete with a QB of Willis' ability. We could not put consistent pressure on Willis, tackling again seemed very hard for some reason, and our DBs are just not I-A right now.

Now that I got that outta my system, please know that this game was a great game to be at for so many reasons. Atmosphere was AWESOME, intensity was terrific, and there was absolutely no quit in either team. If the folks on th Hilltop can't see why we need to be playing each other every year, then I guess they are doomed to never get over a 15K home attendance average anymore. Just a terrific game and a blast to be at, except of course for falling short. Just made me realize how different this Metroplex rivalry game was compared to going to Ft.Worth in the Dickey-era when "THROW THE BALL" became a legendary chant with our crowd.

Just got back from the game, and I have no idea what's been said - but I thought Meager did a very good job. He made some great passes, and to throw for 600 yards when you have no running game is amazing. Yes, he had two bad interceptions at the end of the game, but this was truly a team loss. Missed opportunities on both sides of the ball cost us. That and some really good plays by Willis. I have no problem with Meager being the starting quarterback. He's learning and he's improving.

Tonight was definitely a step forward. The whole team grew up some tonight, and we got a glimpse of what this offense is capable of. The defense, abused all night, made some plays the in the fourth quarter to give UNT a chance. And a 99-yard drive in the fourth quarter to tie the game was impressive. The running game will come, but tonight there was no reason to run. SMU was daring us to throw, so we threw. And threw. And threw. I'm very optimistic, and from I read on SMU's board, much more optimistic than the Ponies are.

Consider this: against a team with no running game, SMU gave up 600 yards of passing. And they still haven't figured out what to do with Casey Fitzgerald, who is going to have a massive, record-breaking season. I'm impressed with some of SMU's players, but I just don't see them getting to a bowl game unless they significantly improve. They had better beat Arkansas State next week to have a chance.

Disappointed, but very proud.

Edited by Smitty

what we saw was Meager rake in the yards but anytime there was the least bit of pressure he folded like a card house. Look at the last 2 INTs and the sacks in the last few drives. Won't even comment on the snap screw-up while down at the 1 yd line. Bring on Vizza, Meager has already had plenty of time.

How in hell is a snap WAY over the quarterback's head the fault of the quarterback?

And why shouldn't Meager be the starter next year? He has already improved dramatically in two weeks, and done so while learning a radically different system. I'm am extremely impressed with him. He has absolutely earned the starting job.

Anytime there was the least bit of pressure he folded? You mean, like when he drove the team 99 yards in the fourth quarter to a game-tying touchdown? That wasn't pressure? That was folding? Yes he made mistakes, but he did much more right than wrong, and he took some big steps forward tonight.

By the way, if anyone wants to build us a football stadium just like Ford (except in green and white) that's fine by me. Great place to watch a game.

Anyone who is laying any sort of blame on DM for this loss is seriously delusional. It's been years since I've seen this kind of performance by a QB. And it's been years since I've seen this kind of improvement in just a week.

Tonight Todd Dodge showed us what his system can truely do.

I don't know the passing stats of this game, but the single game record for passes thrown and completed was

61/42 by Rusty Hill vs Tulsa in 1982. 22 of those receptions were by Marvin Walker.

Parts of this thread proves the old saying that some people will complain about anything. With DD it was always throw the ball. Now with TD it's why can't we run. People piss me off at times.

People who are satisfied with 37 yards rushing piss me off ALL the time. Based on past performance, I think that number would piss off most SLC fans. Hey, just about every soul that posts on this board is with the Dodge program. When you lose, people are going to complain about something regardless of the numbers. Don't be so sensitive to complain about people who believe that the only God to worship lives in heaven.

Anyone who is laying any sort of blame on DM for this loss is seriously delusional. It's been years since I've seen this kind of performance by a QB. And it's been years since I've seen this kind of improvement in just a week.

Tonight Todd Dodge showed us what his system can truely do.

I don't know the passing stats of this game, but the single game record for passes thrown and completed was

61/42 by Rusty Hill vs Tulsa in 1982. 22 of those receptions were by Marvin Walker.

I agree. In the heat of battle I was a bit pissed at Meager for the interceptions, but those are incredible numbers. Of course I wasn't able to attend the game so all my opinions are based on what I heard. Haven't even had a chance to analyze the stats. yet.

All I am saying is that if Jamario couldn't go tonight, he shouldn't go the rest of the season, keep the fish in there, get his feet wet, and let him get ready for the future. It's a shame what has happened to Jamario, but we need to prepare for the future.

The future as a Boise-esque BCS busting team that won't take crap from nobody.

Edited by ntmeangreen11

This from the official Mean Green Sports account:

"Meager broke Steve Ramsey’s 38-year old single-game passing record with a 601-yard performance. The junior had a career night, completing 46-of-64 passes, both school records. He also had three touchdown passes. Meager also had a career-high long pass of 66 yards to Fitzgerald, which set up a third-quarter field goal.

"Meager also threw three fourth-quarter interceptions, two of which led to SMU touchdowns.

"Fitzgerald set the North Texas single-game receiving record with 327 yards. He caught a career-high eight passes, including two touchdown passes. The 327 receiving yards is also the fourth-best single-game performance in NCAA Division I history.

"As a team, North Texas also broke school records. The Mean Green broke single-team records for total offensive yards (613) and passing yards (524). The previous record was set in 1969 game against Southwest Louisiana."

My observations:

It seemed to me that the first two picks DM threw were actually well thrown, but the receivers got beat. The third was just a bad throw.

Overall, I thought DM played with tremendous poise under pressure. Most of the time, his quick release was what made the play work. Other times, he had to scramble because the OL is still fairly permeable.

We killed ourselves with penalties -- stifled several of our drives and revived a couple of theirs. Way too many illegal motions, especially on Venegas. They need to switch him to decaf.

And you know, sometimes a guy's going to hike the ball over your head. It happens. In the NFL, sometimes your starting quarterback fumbles a placekicking hold.

This is the beginning of a tremendous team, well-coached, that never gave up. And no draw plays on 3rd and nine.

Other thoughts:

Their attendance and enthusiasm were pathetic. Their band, while all nice kids, would be OK as a 4A high school band.

When building our stadium, don't let them sink it below ground. Absolutely no wind gets to the stands or the field.

Don't let them have both teams in our new stadium use the same tunnel.

All the players should stay for the alma mater (those who tried to go in early got sent back out).

And ... finally ...

how 'bout them Green Brigade polos and hats?

I'm OK with Meager. His arm never had this type of workout, and that may have been a factor in the late interceptions.

Imagine what he coule have done if he had an offensive line that didn't collapse around him all night.

In the post-game wrap-up, they talked a bit about this. During the game, I must admit I was very frustrated with Meager's poor timing in throwing the interceptions (is there every really a good time to throw an INT?). However, after listening to the post-game and hearing about Meager's overall production for the game, I think fatigue really does play a part in it. At the end of the game, although it pains me somewhat to say this, I agree with Dodge's decision to keep Meager in the game and not to put in Vizza. I would love to have seen Vizza play, but I think pulling Meager would have really hurt his confidence when it seems it's just now starting to get better.

In hindsight, I think it might have been better to let Vizza run a few drives throughout the game, maybe in the second or third quarter, to give Meager more of a rest. I just don't think he can handle this much work in a game. I wonder if maybe next time Dodge tries this tactic.

One last observation on Meager: Several posters have mentioned that Meager tends to run too much and gets out of the pocket rather than standing in and finding the open receivers. I agree, but I don't think he can be completely coached out of it. I think it's a product of getting the ever loving sh*t beat out of him the last two years and suffering the concussions. I can't blame him a bit for it, but I think that's what's keeping him from being the best he can be in this system.