Nt Should Open Practices

Mad Hatter

Evan

We always seemed to complain that there was never enough coverage in the papers about NT. And as I remember last week people were throwing a fit that parents were allowed in but not fans or reporters, and we were turning away big donors.

--- I don't see that closing practice especially in the first year of being the head coach is being "disrespectful" of anyone.

MeanGreen61

There's another old saying. "Don't let the tail wag the dog".

I am just baffled that so many, highly intelligent inviduals can continue to obviously miss my POINT about my rant last weekend. If you didn't, and were referring to others who also missed my point last week and continue to do so, I apologize, now.

For the 1,000th time,

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CLOSING PRACTICES. THERE IS SOMETHING MAJOR WRONG HOWEVER WITH PRINTING MISLEADING INFORMATION ABOUT PRACTICE FOR 4 DAYS, THEN CHANGING THAT AT THE LAST MOMENT, THEN EXPECTING PEOPLE TO STILL STAY AWAY. AND ONCE PEOPLE WHO WERE SOMEHOW SUPPOSE TO GET THE LATE MEMO BUT DIDN'T, ARE TO SHOW UP AND BE RUDELY TREATED AND TALKED TO LIKE DOGS. ON TOP OF THAT, ASK THE LOCAL MEDIA TO PRINT IT IN THE PAPER TO GET THAT LAST MINUTE MEMO OUT, THEN NOT EVEN TELL THEM THEY THEMSELVES ARE EXCLUDED UNTIL THE MORNING OF THE SCRIMMAGE. AGAIN, NOTHING WRONG WITH CLOSING PRACTICE, NOT AT ALL, MAJOR WRONG HOWEVER, IN MISTREATING MEAN GREEN NATION FAMILY MEMBERS WHO MISTAKINGLY SHOWED UP.

DOES ANYONE HERE STILL NOT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you don't want members of the press to get rubbed the wrong way, treat them with respect and be upfront with them. Otherwise your asking for it, and who in hell at North Texas can afford that?"

But you don't let the press tell you how to run the show and they sometimes feel they are being rubbed the wrong way or disrespected when they can't have their way. Thus my comment "you don't let the tail wag the dog".

Before TD, the press could virtually roam around at will and talk to/interview just about whomever they pleased. With TD there is a much tighter control of access/interviews, etc. There's a new sheriff in town and the free range is over. Somethin' folks need to get use to.

Edited by MeanGreen61

There is a right way of doing things and the wrong way...

He is the right guy to write for us, but this article was completely unprofessional and the wrong way to handle the situation

and Rick your point was not missed on me, totally agree...Closing practices is fine, but don't announce it at the last minute when so many have made plans to attend and blame the construction at the stadium as the reason when that is not truly the reason.

"If you don't want members of the press to get rubbed the wrong way, treat them with respect and be upfront with them. Otherwise your asking for it, and who in hell at North Texas can afford that?"

But you don't let the press tell you how to run the show and they sometimes feel they are being rubbed the wrong way or disrespected when they can't have their way. Thus my comment "you don't let the tail wag the dog".

Before TD, the press could virtually roam around at will and talk to/interview just about whomever they pleased. With TD there is a much tighter control of access/interviews, etc. There's a new sheriff in town and the free range is over. Somethin' folks need to get use to.

No one posted a damn thing about the press shold be getting their way or their say. You still don't get it, and of course you wouldn't, considering you live 400 miles away and probably have not talked to anyone involved in saturday's practice mishap, other than me. You remind me of that poster who would read:

"Sean @#$#@$, an absolutely horrible SID in each and every way, not only does he mispell our players names and print confusing and wrong information in the media guide, but at times has been standoffish and rude to those he speaks with in person and refuses to give out student and fanbase website reporters any press credentials stating simply that they are not "official" press members. Thank goodness RV got rid of him when he came aboard. NMSU will regret theis hire".

.........To which a poster like yourself would come on and type: Well, I called him one time to ask a question and he was nice to me?

Your wearing me out Joe!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

No one posted a damn thing about the press shold be getting their way or their say. You still don't get it, and of course you wouldn't, considering you live 400 miles away and probably have not talked to anyone involved in saturday's practice mishap, other than me. You remind me of that poster who would read:

"Sean @#$#@$, an absolutely horrible SID in each and every way, not only does he mispell our players names and print confusing and wrong information in the media guide, but at times has been standoffish and rude to those he speaks with in person and refuses to give out student and fanbase website reporters any press credentials stating simply that they are not "official" press members. Thank goodness RV got rid of him when he came aboard. NMSU will regret theis hire".

.........To which a poster like yourself would come on and type: Well, I called him one time to ask a question and he was nice to me?

Your wearing me out Joe!

Rick

Isn't this thread about the press? Didn't you mention the press in the last paragraph of that post ? My comments are about the press and not about Saturday's occurance that you discussed at length in another thread.

.........To which a poster like yourself would come on and type: Well, I called him one time to ask a question and he was nice to me? l Hmmmm. now you're also a psychic? :ph34r:

Edited by MeanGreen61

My comments are about the press and not about Saturday's occurance

And what day of the week was "THE PRESS" in fact asked to leave after originally being led to believe they were welcomed? Saturday? :blink:

MeanGreen61'

There's a new sheriff in town and the free range is over. Somethin' folks need to get use to.

Of course it would be a lot easier to do just that, get used to it that is, if you rarely ever "free ranged" in the first place.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Where should I start here? Have you guys ever heard of the Internet? Or is your mom printing out the posts on this board for you to read while you listen to Billy Joel on your Walkman?

Tim wrote a blog post. Blog posts appear on the Internet and tend to be highly opinionated. And Tim's opinion's is correct. If Big Media needs to take pictures of Todd Dodge wearing a dress and doing the splits on the 50-yard line during the middle of practice then Todd Dodge needs to do it to increase the profile of our little college football team.

Not being able to watch practice is one thing. Not being able to talk to players afterwards is another. If you can't talk to players, you can't write about them or do a feature story about them on the 10 o'clock news.

Because of Napolean Dodge's new rules if a newspaper needs one more college football story for the next day's paper or a nightly newscast needs one more feature to fill up its time slot they can't just send a reporter up to Denton at the last minute to get the story because they don't get access. The overall profile of UNT football suffers because less is written/broadcast about it. We as fans suffer because the information we have about the team isn't as good or colorful. And UNT's competitors for the entertainment dollars of DFW sports fans win because every story that is not written about UNT will be written about SMU, TCU, or the UTA women's golf team instead.

if a newspaper needs one more college football story for the next day's paper or a nightly newscast needs one more feature to fill up its time slot they can't just send a reporter up to Denton at the last minute to get the story because they don't get access. The overall profile of UNT football suffers because less is written/broadcast about it. We as fans suffer because the information we have about the team isn't as good or colorful. And UNT's competitors for the entertainment dollars of DFW sports fans win because every story that is not written about UNT will be written about SMU, TCU, or the UTA women's golf team instead.

Yes, what he said. Media helps sales. Less media = less sales = less fans = smaller program.

Where should I start here? Have you guys ever heard of the Internet? Or is your mom printing out the posts on this board for you to read while you listen to Billy Joel on your Walkman?

Tim wrote a blog post. Blog posts appear on the Internet and tend to be highly opinionated. And Tim's opinion's is correct. If Big Media needs to take pictures of Todd Dodge wearing a dress and doing the splits on the 50-yard line during the middle of practice then Todd Dodge needs to do it to increase the profile of our little college football team.

Not being able to watch practice is one thing. Not being able to talk to players afterwards is another. If you can't talk to players, you can't write about them or do a feature story about them on the 10 o'clock news.

Because of Napolean Dodge's new rules if a newspaper needs one more college football story for the next day's paper or a nightly newscast needs one more feature to fill up its time slot they can't just send a reporter up to Denton at the last minute to get the story because they don't get access. The overall profile of UNT football suffers because less is written/broadcast about it. We as fans suffer because the information we have about the team isn't as good or colorful. And UNT's competitors for the entertainment dollars of DFW sports fans win because every story that is not written about UNT will be written about SMU, TCU, or the UTA women's golf team instead.

I thought media had access to the players, just after the practice not during... If a newspaper can't schedule around a printed schedule and specifics about the first 30 minutes being open to the media then tough for them.

However, don't lump these comments into the first scrimmage debacle. The first Saturday scrimmage stands part from the discussion of open practices as a mistake on the part of the AD in communications. They messed up and people have the right to call them on it!

Geez, the guy just got here and has yet to coach a game! If he wants secrecy at this point, then I say he should get secrecy at this point. He'll probably loosen up after the ball gets rolling. As far as media attention is concerned, I am sure we will get our share once we start winning football games. If we don't win football games, none of it really matters much anyway.