Mustain To Transfer

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

I should have linked this but I'm not sure of the reference now. Maybe someone will find it and link it for us but it was reported that Mustain is leaving Arkansas and will transfer to Southern Cal.

The article said that he was disappointed with the run-oriented offense which he didn't expect after his high school coach was hired. I believe that his HS coach is either at Tulsa or Louisville so he still won't be reunited with him.

Anyway, he won't be eligible until 2008. Now I know that Arkansas has better athletes than we do but I think that our game with them just got a little more promising.

Updated: April 19, 2007, 8:33 PM ET

Sources: Mustain to transfer to USC

By Joe Schad

Special to ESPN.com

Former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain plans to transfer to USC in the second week of May, sources close to the quarterback said Wednesday night.

Mustain has attended USC's spring game and practices and is currently attending classes at Arkansas, where the semester ends May 8.

Mustain, considered by some the nation's top recruit before last season, enrolled at Arkansas in large part because coach Houston Nutt hired Mustain's high school coach, Gus Malzahn, as offensive coordinator.

But Arkansas didn't utilized Malzahn's no-huddle, spread offense and he left for Tulsa, where he'll be co-offensive coordinator. Mustain, who was benched at the end of last season, then announced his intention to transfer.

Arkansas won the SEC West last season and began 10-1 before losing the final three games of the season.

This week Nutt released a statement denying rumors he was pursuing other jobs and did not promptly respond to hate e-mail sent to Mustain. He also denied a rumor that he had an affair with a local television anchor.

Updated: April 19, 2007, 8:33 PM ET

Sources: Mustain to transfer to USC

By Joe Schad

Special to ESPN.com

Former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain plans to transfer to USC in the second week of May, sources close to the quarterback said Wednesday night.

Mustain has attended USC's spring game and practices and is currently attending classes at Arkansas, where the semester ends May 8.

Mustain, considered by some the nation's top recruit before last season, enrolled at Arkansas in large part because coach Houston Nutt hired Mustain's high school coach, Gus Malzahn, as offensive coordinator.

But Arkansas didn't utilized Malzahn's no-huddle, spread offense and he left for Tulsa, where he'll be co-offensive coordinator. Mustain, who was benched at the end of last season, then announced his intention to transfer.

Arkansas won the SEC West last season and began 10-1 before losing the final three games of the season.

This week Nutt released a statement denying rumors he was pursuing other jobs and did not promptly respond to hate e-mail sent to Mustain. He also denied a rumor that he had an affair with a local television anchor.

That's a serious travel budget for a college kid.

. Now I know that Arkansas has better athletes than we do but I think that our game with them just got a little more promising.

I'm not sure Mustain leaving helps our chances any. They still have McFadden at RB/QB plus Casey Dick as the true QB. BTW in the Red & White spring game red beat white 44-9.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This kid is a headcase and will be a bust wherever he goes.

You could be right. All I know is that Arkansas was 8-0 when he started and 2-4 when he didn't. And, Nutt's offense did not cater to his strength.

Most #1 recruits are pretty full of themselves and I'm sure that he's no exception.

I just think that there's some discontent at Arkansas and that has to help us.

You could be right. All I know is that Arkansas was 8-0 when he started and 2-4 when he didn't. And, Nutt's offense did not cater to his strength.

Most #1 recruits are pretty full of themselves and I'm sure that he's no exception.

Headcase may be a little strong, but he doesn't have the maturity to lead a team at this point and is spoiled rotten.

I'm not sure Mustain leaving helps our chances any. They still have McFadden at RB/QB plus Casey Dick as the true QB. BTW in the Red & White spring game red beat white 44-9.

Mustain leaving doesn't really affect our chances. We still have to stop DMac and Jones. Casey Dick is a HORRIBLE QB.

if mustain couldn't get on the field at arkansas how is he going to play at usc?

Mustain couldn't stay on the field because of the ridculous coaching of Houston Dale Nutt. That guy is a moron. We won't win 10 games this season because of his stupid coaching moves. Mustain won't play for a while, but he will.

This kid is a headcase and will be a bust wherever he goes.

I will have to disagree with you on this one. The Headcase is Houston Nutt, not Mitch. Nutt lied to Mahlzan and Mitch, as well as the WR just to get them on campus. Mitch may not be a great QB, but will start baring injury at some point.

Perfect example there - went 8-0 and the head coach benches him for a QB that can barely throw the ball over the line. Add to that, he then goes out and recruits his brother to come play for Arkansas. This being a kid whos top school was Rice. Yea, I see him working out at QB real well once Houston is gone after this coming season.

DUMB MOVE! He coudln't play at Arkansas becuase of Casey and the incoming Nathan Dick (Casey's bro). And he surely won't play at SC....John David Booty and the mexican guy (Sanchez I think?) will be taking snaps until 2010. Stupid move Mitch. I wouldn't want him here though.

I don't think Nathan Dick was a lock to go there until Mustain left, and it is extremely doubtful that he would have put significant pressure on Mustain for the starting job. Mustain was a freshman, and still had some developing (and growing up!) to do. Assuming he straightened out his attitude, he probably would have been the starter next year, and certainly by his junior year. Whether Mustain can compete with Sanchez for the starting job in '08 and '09 remains to be seen.

Nathan was committed to Rice, the only reason he went to Arkansas was because Todd Graham jumped ship, it was before the Mustain debacle.

Mustain was fully cleared to leave Arkansas over a month before Nathan committed. Mustain thread link

Nathan Dick decommited to Rice and was looking about the same time Mustain left. Nathan Dick thread link

Mustain couldn't stay on the field because of the ridculous coaching of Houston Dale Nutt. That guy is a moron. We won't win 10 games this season because of his stupid coaching moves. Mustain won't play for a while, but he will.

Is this the most confusing statement ever posted here?

"Eight dollar blockbuster eight dollar D dollar....."

DUMB MOVE! He coudln't play at Arkansas becuase of Casey and the incoming Nathan Dick (Casey's bro). And he surely won't play at SC....John David Booty and the mexican guy (Sanchez I think?) will be taking snaps until 2010. Stupid move Mitch. I wouldn't want him here though.

Not true.

First kid wanted to red-shirt and they threw him in the fire. He started eight I-A games and Arkansas won every one of them. Arkansas was 2-3 with Casey starting.

Here's the deal. There is a great book that details his recruitment. He wanted to sign with Texas, his high school coach showed his displeasure with the idea of him announcing that prior to the season so he held off. Coach pressures him to pick a school (note the oddity) he announces for Arkansas because he does like the QB coach. Season wraps up Arkansas fires the QB coach. He had been having second thoughts and wanted to go to Notre Dame. Is set to go visit Notre Dame who then demands he commit prior to taking an official visit. Doesn't like the Weiss strong-arm. Arkansas then hires his high school coach to be offensive coordinator. He signs with Arkansas.

Staff mocks his high school coach, calling him "High School" because Malzhan is apparently too hard to say. Gets thrown to the wolves late in USC game and rips down the field for TD. State goes ape over him and the other members of his high school team that signed with Arkansas. Arkansas rolls along but word leaks of the book coming out where Mustain had watched a Hog game in high school where Arkansas won late on a big pass play (fans were hard after his play calling) and Nutt practically screams that "He called that play, I called that play brother". Writer is watching with Mustain who says "What a dork"

Mustain, now playing at Arkansas goes to Nutt and apologizes for the comment. All is purportedly good.

Play calling gets more conservative.

Friend of Nutt's brother (an assistant at Arkansas) sends an scathing email to Mustain trashing him and says the players ought to call a team meeting and force him to apologize. Nutt's brother's phone records show he was in contact with the email writer shortly before it is sent. Surprisingly (not) a players only meeting is called and the specific players mentioned in the email demand he apologize to Nutt for the quote in the book (remember he had already privately done that). Emailer also sends another email critical of Mustain, his high school coach and others from Springdale. Copy is sent to various people including Nutt's wife who forwards it to friends with added note that the parts about the Springdale people is "funny".

Mustain throws a pick early in South Carolina game and is immediately pulled for Casey Dick and never starts again.

Season ends Mustain announces he will transfer.

Now there is a bunch left out of that, but there is a misconception that all the mess was Mustain's. That is far from the truth.

And Mustain wanting to transfer to U$C is relevant to North Texas football how?

If he was transfering to a conference rival then I can see how North Texas fans could be interested.

Guest GrayEagleOne

And Mustain wanting to transfer to U$C is relevant to North Texas football how?

If he was transfering to a conference rival then I can see how North Texas fans could be interested.

According to my schedule, we play Arkansas this fall. Let me repeat....with Mustain the Arkansas quarterback, the Hawgs were 8-0. Under Dick, they were 2-4. Based on their 10-4 record last year, and our 3-9, it would seem that we would be 40 or mor point underdogs. I just think that since they didn't do that well with Casey Dick at QB, we have a much better chance. They'll still be good; I just don't think that they'll be Top 20 good.

It doesn't matter to me where Mustain went, only that we won't have him to contend with next year.

According to my schedule, we play Arkansas this fall. Let me repeat....with Mustain the Arkansas quarterback, the Hawgs were 8-0. Under Dick, they were 2-4. Based on their 10-4 record last year, and our 3-9, it would seem that we would be 40 or mor point underdogs. I just think that since they didn't do that well with Casey Dick at QB, we have a much better chance. They'll still be good; I just don't think that they'll be Top 20 good.

It doesn't matter to me where Mustain went, only that we won't have him to contend with next year.

i think you might want to tap the brakes there a little bit.

mustain was 7-0 against opponents with a 34-50 record.

Only Auburn was ranked and only Auburn (11) and Alabama (6) had more than 4 wins.

Arkansas only scored 27 pts in 4 of his 7 games.

Dick was 3-3 against opponents with a 56-21 record.

4 teams were ranked and only 1 had a losing record at 3-9

Arkansas scored at least 26 pts in 5 of 6 games and lost the 3 games by a total of 18 pts to LSU, FL and WISC.

There end season stats are almost identical so I'm not sure I'd anoint one the high and mighty and the other a bottom feeder.

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Casey Dick 65 132 991 49.2 7.51 9 6 125.7

Mitch Mustain 69 132 894 52.3 6.77 10 9 120.5