Developer Plans 50,000 SF at UNT's Gate

Cerebus

Campus Corner, which is on the north end of the University of Oklahoma, is a good example of what could be done with right off campus real estate. I was up there about a year ago, and I remember that it was mostly locally owned establishments, but it was well maintained. Had alot of shops, bars, and resturants geared towards the students of OU.

OU Campus Corner

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnDenver

Now if we can only get some attention pointed towards the west side and start replacing the dilapidated apartments and renthouses? 

Rick

I think this is starting to happen..

At the corner of Ave H (N. Texas) and Hickory, there *WAS* a crappy apartment complex. It was torn down a few years ago and is now a parking lot. The College Inn is slated (or has it happened) to be torn down. There are tons of nice apartments on the other side of Bonnie Brae and the University shuttle actually goes out there. Now that area is surrounded by UNT properties and is patrolled by UNT police... slowly it will be taken over and those apartments will be torn down.

See, this is exactly what the problem is. When people in Denton speak out against this kind of bull they are labeled as anti-business.... when in reality they are Anti-Tear-All-The-Cool-Places-Down-And-Build-A-Starbucks.

One day soon Denton will wake up and be Lewisville... all of its charm, all of its personality (the reason people are moving there in the first place) will be long gone and replaced by national "upscale lifestyle retail" businesses.

This is BS my friends.

But they are anti-business and very conservative (the "don't change 'nuthin" crowd).

Starbucks started as a one-location local coffee shop. Barnes & Noble started as a student bookstore owned by students. But what happens when the people owning these small businesses become successful? They're shouted down by hippie conservatives who want to protect businesses which pay less in taxes, employ less people, are less charitable and create less value for cities just like Denton.

And it's a very good thing for UNT as well. My high school didn't get hundreds of computers from Joe's Local Computer Shoppe, Microsoft donated tham. SMU didn't get its bookstore bailed out and jobs saved by the head shop down Mockingbird, Barnes & Noble bought them out. And UNT won't get massive "community relations" donations from Uncommon Grounds. Seems Starbucks did donate enough to SMU to end up with an ad spot in Ford Stadium.....maybe here as well.

It's not Denton's responsibility to make things "homey" for temporary residents (college students). And its in Denton's interest to become like Lewisville. If people actually believe this crap about "charm" and "personality", move to Detroit, or buy a low rent house with no air-conditioning in rural Mexico.

Ya know, shaneb's right. This is BS my friends.

How much, if any of this will/did the university have say in?  Anyone know?  Surely the university is involved at some point, and if so I'm glad.  It means someone at the top cares about the university's image to improve.  Fry and it's ugly problems have been a major eyesore  for far too long now.    I see no reason why this can't be a mix of the old with the new, hopefully for the better.  Now if we can only get some attention pointed towards the west side and start replacing the dilapidated apartments and renthouses? 

Rick

Totally agree unfortunately at $1 million an acre that is an expensive eyesore to try and correct on the Westside of campus.

The hypocrisy on the board is amazing.....  We gripe that a developer is taking over land we don't control while denouncing Denia residents who do the same thing.

Free market prevails y'all.  If you want Fry Street to stay you'd best start drinking more.  You have your mission....

laugh.giflaugh.gif zing!!!! And I agree.

This land is in the hands of a private owner, they can do with it as they please. I think an upscale commercial/residential area near campus would be good for the University, I just don't know why other parcels of land, as near to campus, and also as under utilized, where not used instead.

My only concern is that this is going to be the death knell for the fair. I don't see retail outlets letting people shut down the street. That is something, like a bowl game, that lets people all over the country know about Denton and North Texas.

Also, I will be deeply, terribly emotional when I eat my last Slice Special on a lunch break.

This land is in the hands of a private owner, they can do with it as they please.  I think an upscale commercial/residential area near campus would be good for the University, I just don't know why other parcels of land, as near to campus, and also as under utilized, where not used instead.

my thoughts exactly.

Did I say I supported tearing it down?

I didnt say you did. Your point was that "80%" of denton thought this way. I dont think this has anything to do with the desires of the Denton community. Its money. Plain and simple. The bars, restaurants, and office space are all privately held, willing to sell, and a development company thinks it wil be a profitable investment to tear it down and put something else in its place. I havent see the exact plans, nor do I know what they will put in its place. I am just wary of seeing another generic "town center" type development. I personally find them to be boring. Bland. Vanilla. pick an adjective.

Edited by Eagle1855

The DRC has an article up on this

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...a.2e937a0f.html

so does the NT Daily http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage...gepublisher.com

Accordingto the NT Daily article the current Mayor does not support the razing of Fry St. As for the new candidates I am not sure other than Justin Bell. McNeil will likely be more for it even though he is endocrced by Mayor Brock.

This part of town is part of the heart of Denton. To see it go would truly be sad. Please start getting involved and attending the City Council and Planning and Zonning meetings.

Guest JohnDenver

Bad news.

I have a nice upscale, trendy, Mockingbird Station type building in mind ... something that would give the area new life and show off the already good vibe.

Looking at the developers existing properties ... we could be in for a NIGHTMARE.

http://www.unitedequities.com/Properties_All.asp

Fiesta marts and strip center galore.

Oh my.

The block right across the street from the english building with ricks place, garage, sidebar, tavern, jimmy johns, riprocks, and lous would be left untouched... right?

It's all of the eyesore crap across the street and the parking lot that no one ever pays for that they are talking about knocking down. There are vacant buildings there. Why in the world would you guys want to save this part of town? There is nothing historic about it. The best looking building on that whole block is the Denton Police Station. It needs to be torn down. If they don't do it, I hope someone else does.

Ok, I'm confused....we're basically losing the side of Hickory that was full of dives (outside the Tomato, Cool Beans and Chopsticks). I frequented those places less than 10 times the entire time I was in Denton. Now, if this was Riprocks, Lou's or anything on the campus side of Hickory I'd be worried. Those places actually attempted to not suck. ....oops, didn't see MeanMag's post before posting mine...

Most of the Fry corner is not as crowded as people on this board are trying to make it sound...oustide of one day late in April when the Fair is going on...and this whole argument about conservative vs. arts kids is ludicrous as well. The bottom line is that people need to develop a connection to the university to be moved enough to give back when the opportunity presents itself. Developing more attractive hangouts near campus can only help our "commuter" image problem and help keep kids in Denton. Keeping students IN Denton on the weekends will go a long way to improving our fortunes. Getting more business(I was a business grad) students on campus during weekdays doesn't do us much good if they never latch onto NT.

Edited by TIgreen01

Bad news.

I have a nice upscale, trendy, Mockingbird Station type building in mind ... something that would give the area new life and show off the already good vibe.

Looking at the developers existing properties ... we could be in for a NIGHTMARE.

Oh my.

Oh CRAP! I take back everything I said. I'd take any of the dumps that are already on that corner over a Fiesta Mart! Sheesh....

BUT, the biggest point here is that this will make the school more attractive on the weekend! It is dead around there on Friday and Saturday. Some nice bookstores and coffee shops will help keep students in town and increase attendance.

That's what I was interested in on the weekends, books and coffee. ph34r.gif

Bad news.

Oh my.

ok so I do not get banned I'll just say if these are the types of businesses they will place here then I am not a fan of the development. dry.gif