Damage In New Orleans

MeanGreen61

Scary thing is this could have been much worse had Katrina not hit a dry air patch and lost a little force as well as making a jog to the East.

The photos coming out of MS and AL look like a bomb went off.

50 miles further west and the brunt of the storm surge would have hit New Orleans rather than Biloxi/Gulfport and been eveb worse.

MS even if the storm had made a direct hit on NO or just to the West, would have been crushed still, in a hurricane that NE quadrant is the most dangerous, next to the eye wall due to the storm surge.

NO might have been in better shape except they have Lake Ponchitrain bordering them and then had the strong winds blowing in from the North.

Imagine if Lake Okeechobee was due North of Miami as a border and a hurricane went past Miami about 50 miles and you would have same effect. ohmy.gif

MS even if the storm had made a direct hit on NO or just to the West, would have been crushed still, in a hurricane that NE quadrant is the most dangerous, next to the eye wall due to the storm surge.

I'm aware of that. But I'm not sure the entire MS would've been as devestated. She was a big storm, but Gulport to NO is about 80 miles west. They would've been more on the outer fringes of the hurricane winds(which were about 105 miles from the eye). So more like 100mph winds and 12ft storm surge instead of 145 and 25ft.

Edited by CMJ

50 miles further west and the brunt of the storm surge would have hit New Orleans rather than Biloxi/Gulfport and been eveb worse.

At this point, I don't think the situation could be any worse. After the levees failed and flooded the city, I think you saw what might have happened had the hurricane hit the city head-on.

At this point, I don't think the situation could be any worse.  After the levees failed and flooded the city, I think you saw what might have happened had the hurricane hit the city head-on.

The main difference has been that most of the flooding took place after the storm passed and happened at a relatively slow rate. If it had been head-on, a lot of those folks rescued could not have been reached and the water would have come in much faster with more force. It was bad enough as it was.