Other football games cancelled or postponed

NT80

LSU-North Texas game postponed

August 30, 2005

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- LSU postponed its scheduled football game Saturday night against North Texas because of Hurricane Katrina.

``The events of yesterday and this morning have made it clear that this is not the time to play a football game,'' LSU athletic director Skip Bertman said Tuesday. ``This is a dire situation that rivals any in the history of our state, and our priorities are on participating in recovery efforts.''

LSU has canceled classes until Sept. 6.

``The scope of this tragedy is becoming more evident as time passes, and LSU's focus is on assisting in the recovery effort of our state,'' LSU chancellor Sean O'Keefe said. ``LSU is a primary evacuation site and we are not going to conduct any activities that could deter from our mission of assisting in the recovery mission.''

LSU's Carl Maddox Field House is being used a Special Needs Shelter, the Pete Maravich Assembly Center has been designated as a triage unit for medical emergencies, and the Bernie Moore Track will be used as a helicopter landing site.

The school hoped to announce the date for the postponed game in the next two to three days. LSU is ranked fifth in the country.

Also, the Tulane-Southern Mississippi game scheduled for Sunday in Hattiesburg, Miss., has been moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

``We have been in contact with the administrators for both universities and we all agree that the focus of our attention should be on the continued safety of the student-athletes, coaches and the lives of those affected by this storm,'' Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said. ``Playing a football game is not our highest priority at this time.''

Tulane's football and women's soccer teams fled New Orleans on Sunday, making a 9 1/2 -hour bus ride to Jackson, Miss. They've been practicing at Jackson State.

In other changes, Nicholls State's game at Utah State on Saturday has been canceled. Nicholls State is located in Thibodaux, La.

Also, Southern University's game Saturday at McNeese State in Lake Charles, La., has been canceled, and Jacksonville's game Thursday night at Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond, La., has been postponed indefinitely.

In other changes, Nicholls State's game at Utah State on Saturday has been canceled. Nicholls State is located in Thibodaux, La.

Also, Southern University's game Saturday at McNeese State in Lake Charles, La., has been canceled, and Jacksonville's game Thursday night at Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond, La., has been postponed indefinitely.

I see a few teams we could play instead of LSU! rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

I doubt they would want to get on a plane on such short notice; no telling how much that would cost.  But, any of the I-AA teams could probably bus in for a game at any point there was an opening available.

Wow hadn't heard about McNeese and Southern. Must be at Southern's request because from what I had heard Lake Charles area had no damage and they were prepared to play.

I doubt they would want to get on a plane on such short notice; no telling how much that would cost.  But, any of the I-AA teams could probably bus in for a game at any point there was an opening available.

I'm sure the logistics just wouldn't work, but here's an idea:

Get McNeese or somebody to come up here for a game. Instead of selling tickets, admission is free with donations to the Red Cross encouraged. Cover the opponent's travel expenses out of the kitty maybe.

I'm sure the logistics just wouldn't work, but here's an idea:

Get McNeese or somebody to come up here for a game.  Instead of selling tickets, admission is free with donations to the Red Cross encouraged.  Cover the opponent's travel expenses out of the kitty maybe.

McNeese will bus to Denton for free? They wouldn't bus to Lafayette for $90,000 when it was offered to them this year.