A couple of Hot Sports Opinions about the

Harry

There may be a few snakes and alligators, but I doubt they will actually be a major problem.

This is a huge problem. I waited out Hurricane Carla in 1961 and when all was over, the creatures came out-snakes. I remember pictures of sidewalks that were line up with dead reptiles - 100's of them. And we were 80 miles west of where Carla hit. Water Moccasins were a real threat. wink.gif

From someone who deals with the criminal element on a daily basis let me just say I am glad they are able to shoot looters.

It has been suggested that "ruined" items are ok to take. I'll save my expletives and just point out that at the point where you let people decide what constitutes justifiable theft vs. stealing you lose the idea of having a civilized society. Things like theft, killing, etc. are hard and fast rules BECAUSE we can't let people pick and choose when to be moral not just for the sake of convenience.

And to say it's ok because it's insured? Ok, let me know where you'll be on Saturday so I can come run into your car. It's insured, right?

And before anyone says that we're talking about people who just need food and water understand that theft is theft is theft is theft. Need isn't a justification. I know it sounds harsh and may not sound the most humane but, again, we can't go around deciding when other people's property is no longer worth respecting.

I'm against them shooting the looters...but not because I think it's "okay". There are still hundred, maybe thousands of ppl that need to be saved from the flood water. I'm more concerned with getting every available person helping with the rescue effort - including law enforcement.

Maybe the looters will drown.

This is a huge problem. I waited out Hurricane Carla in 1961 and when all was over, the creatures came out-snakes.  I remember pictures of sidewalks that were line up with dead reptiles - 100's of them.  And we were 80 miles west of where Carla hit.  Water Moccasins were a real threat. wink.gif

Deep, as a youth, I worked on some of those Gulf Coast rice fields (near Alvin) and I will 2'nd that motion about water moccasins because they ARE a real threat; especially if you're surrounded by 2 or 3 of them or you cannot see where the others are.

Speaking of Hurricane Carla, the Surfside bridge that spans the inter-coastal canal leading to the Surfside beach just outside of Freeport, Texas, was covered with moccasins, rabbits, coyotes, dogs, cats, etc, etc, etc, according to Coast Guard personnel. They also reported that all the animals on Surfside Bridges all seemed to be getting along just fine (which I thought was the interesting part of that report). If you or any of you others from the Houston area have ever seen that very tall span bridge, you'd know it is very high off the flat salt grass land and was all these animals only protection from the high waters of Hurricane Carla back in 1961.

Houston's CBS affiliate KHOU TV Channel 11 had a young reporter named Dan Rather who made his first national "splash" (pardon pun) reporting back to the national guys headed by CBS' Walter Cronkite. 2 years later, the assassination of JFK in Dallas and the coverage provided by the young Houston TV reporter solidfied his accesension with CBS.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A reporter in a story said he spotted a 3-foot shark cruising a flooded street.  ohmy.gif

Strangely, the shark was carrying a trashbag full of money in his mouth. And what kind of shark was it........?

Closing in on 1/10th the number of Plumm's posts and losing ground fast.

Keith

Ok... allow me to go on a short rant about the following quote from NO mayor:

"According to the mayor, Black Hawk helicopters were scheduled to pick up and drop massive 3,000-pound sandbags in the 17th Street Canal breach, but were diverted on rescue missions. Nagin said neglecting to fix the problem has set the city behind by at least a month.

"I had laid out like an eight-week to ten-week timeline where we could get the city back in semblance of order. It's probably been pushed back another four weeks as a result of this," Nagin said."

Link to full article on CNN

Ok, at some point you have to say, "the city is going to be a mess for a long time, so it's worth more to save people's lives." This is the kind of political BS that makes me sick. What kind of person is spending more time thinking about how to save your political career rather than getting all those people out of NO. They're saying it's going to be 16 weeks or so before everyone can get back to survey the damage. This may be the end of NO as we know it.... sad.gif

Well, besides the fact that there are now masses of people w/o homes, there are just as many people whose place of employement no longer exists. How are they going to earn a living?

Some people are talking about starting a public works program to employ these people towards rebuilding the damaged areas.