Why don't we have more QB's

MeanGreenSig

QUOTE(GreenN'walinsVet @ Aug 19 2005, 10:27 AM)

Maybe its just me, but im not seeing the point of this post. Yall are saying that we didnt bring in any QB's. Now let me get this straight.

When the recruiting process was going on,

#1 We didnt know Byerly was having elgibility problems (if we did then i doubt he would of been participating in Spring Ball and then named the starter coming out of it).

We did not know ,but the coaches or some who has that responsibility had to have had a clue that there was a problem , or someone is not doing there job keeping track of academics.

#2 We also knew that Meager would be pushing for a starting job (at this time he was injuryless during his time at NT).

We also knew he had major surgery and had been injured before

#3 We tried and came very close to signing one of if not the top JUCO QB out there.

thats great, my point was we should have come close to morethan one. it is a numbers game. you are telling me you would bet the whole season on one guy's decision

#4 We brought in 3 (and if you count special K) 4 Freshman QB's during this recruiting period.

I count three and I would be suprised if any of them were recruited to fill the spot this year adn obviously that was not enough so far

So were are we getting that DD just left the cupboard empty on the QB front???

from where I sit YES

#1 Im going to guess but Byerly was prabably not close to flunking out after the fall semester, but as we all know it only takes one bad semester to blow things up. This in my opionion is what happend during his spirng semester.

#2 Yes Meager had a major surgery in high school but had come back and led his team to the playoffs injury free and made it through the fall workouts injury free. So are you saying that since Cobbs has had a major surgery that we should assume that he will not make it through the year without getting hurt. What about Scott Hall's injury a few years back, how that work out with his durabiltiy his junior and senior year?

#3 I dont think going after 3 or 4 JUCO QB's is the answer to our problems, say we would of landed one or two, the problem is there gone after two years and were back to the same problem we have now.

#4 How can you say that the freshman weve brought in this year arnt going to be very good and our answer to the QB??? They havent even finished there first two-a-days yet and your already labeling them as busts.

Back in Febuary this freshman class was labeled the best class that DD has signed yet, and the QB's were a big part of that.

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet

So these MAGICAL JUCO QB's we were supposed to bring in, How many snaps have they taken at the Division I level?

I didn't say anything about magical JUCO QBs. My point was that last year was the opportunity to get Byerly some playing time (even if it was mop up) given that he was the likely starter going into this year. For whatever reason, that didn't seem to happen - maybe it did. I honestly don't know how much playing time he got, that's why I was asking. If he didn't get much then the reasons I can come up with are:

There was never really the opportunity.....it was necessary to keep Hall in the entire game to deliver the win (or loss).

DD didn't have confidence in Byerly (he wasn't the heir-apparent we've all though he was).

There was aready suspicion that he might be an academic casualty this year.

Just thinking out loud and frustrated that we're in the position we are.

Keith