Why don't we have more QB's

MeanGreenSig

OK, I know we got a few with long-term potential in this years class, but if we knew that our potential starter was on the academic bubble and our potential number two was injured and having major surgery, why did we not recruit more or better at this position? Were was the JUCO QB ( I do not mean the one's that went somewere else)?

I mean what were we thinking? I don't get it, anyone figured this one out? (please I have thought about the obvious answers-run heavy offensive scheme, etc) We had to know that JB was questionable grade wise. I can't beleive more people are not raising hell about this.

Signed

Puzzeled as a mother F*&@%#

OK, I know we got a few with long-term potential in this years class, but if we knew that our potential starter was on the academic bubble and our potential number two was injured and having major surgery, why did we not recruit more or better at this position? Were was the JUCO QB ( I do not mean the one's that went somewere else)?

I mean what were we thinking? I don't get it, anyone figured this one out? (please I have thought about the obvious answers-run heavy offensive scheme, etc) We had to know that JB was questionable grade wise. I can't beleive more people are not raising hell about this.

Signed

Puzzeled as a mother F*&@%#

You go boy!! I totally agree, poor decision not to effectively address this known concern. We might just pay the price come this season...

"It was way too big of an opportunity to pass up," Taylor said. "Coming to Lincoln, and being around all of the tradition, seeing the fan support at the basketball game, it was pretty unreal. Actually, it's a pretty easy decision."

Hmmmmm...........

Sorry for the implied language.

But, I am not refering to the lost recruits. If good ones get stolen and we know this, why do we not recruit MORE? Or to put it another way 2-2=0 and 5-3=2new recruits instead of none. I just do not see enough thought put into this on whoever plans these things.

You are right!

Why don't we recruit more??!

Why don't we start building a new stadium tomorrow?!!?

Why don't we buy time on ESPN and broadcast all the games nationwide?!

Resources.

You only have some much time/money to spend.

Let's also not forget that Andrew Smith is supposed to be here, and these guys are supposed to be learning under him, and the guys that are getting pushed into backup roles now are supposed to be red shirting.

Let's also not forget that Andrew Smith is supposed to be here, and these guys are supposed to be learning under him, and the guys that are getting pushed into backup roles now are supposed to be red shirting.

Before anyone pings me on this, let me just add that the coaches knew they wouldn't have Smith this year, it was thier responsibility to someone for the QB position, and they did try and almost landed a high quality player.

Thanks for cracking that code for everyone Lifer, I didn't realize my post would have any questions as to its meaning.

I understood it, I just did not understand how it was related to the subject at hand and this is the football board.

And Cerebus- my point exactly on smith and everybody else. somebody had to know we had a deep need. Also I did not know "yelling" was against the rules and posts will be deleted if they contain such "yelling" my post that was deleted did not contain anything that deserved a delete, gimme a break this is getting way to sensitive

Maybe its just me, but im not seeing the point of this post. Yall are saying that we didnt bring in any QB's. Now let me get this straight.

When the recruiting process was going on,

#1 We didnt know Byerly was having elgibility problems (if we did then i doubt he would of been participating in Spring Ball and then named the starter coming out of it).

#2 We also knew that Meager would be pushing for a starting job (at this time he was injuryless during his time at NT).

#3 We tried and came very close to signing one of if not the top JUCO QB out there.

#4 We brought in 3 (and if you count special K) 4 Freshman QB's during this recruiting period.

So were are we getting that DD just left the cupboard empty on the QB front???

I understood it, I just did not understand how it was related to the subject at hand and this is the football board.

Seriously? I can understand if you are just playing devils advocate here or perhaps you just trying to keep the word basketball off of this forum.........but it seems pretty apparent how that snippet was related to the subject at hand.

Here is the chain of how I got there.

1. We didn't recruit enough QB's

2. Well we did, but we lost out on a good when Nebraska stole him away , see "here"

3. Hey, check out what was said in that article. Wonder if he ever attended our bball games? I wonder if it left as much of a negative impression as Nebraska left a positive one?

I don't want this thread to stray, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to point out something that could be harmful to us in football recruiting.

As far as the QB's are concerned, I do think DD went after what he thought he needed. I get the feeling that it simply was not considered that Byerly might not make it last spring. THAT is where the coaching staff probably made a mistake.

Maybe its just me, but im not seeing the point of this post. Yall are saying that we didnt bring in any QB's. Now let me get this straight.

#1 We didnt know Byerly was having elgibility problems (if we did then i doubt he would of been participating in Spring Ball and then named the starter coming out of it).

#2 We also knew that Meager would be pushing for a starting job (at this time he was injuryless during his time at NT).

#3 We tried and came very close to signing one of if not the top JUCO QB out there.

#4 We brought in 3 (and if you count special K) 4 Freshman QB's during this recruiting period.

My thought as well.

Maybe its just me, but im not seeing the point of this post.  Yall are saying that we didnt bring in any QB's.  Now let me get this straight.

We did not know ,but the coaches or some who has that responsibility had to have had a clue that there was a problem , or someone is not doing there job keeping track of academics.

We also knew he had major surgery and had been injured before

thats great, my point was we should have come close to morethan one. it is a numbers game. you are telling me you would bet the whole season on one guy's decision

I count three and I would be suprised if any of them were recruited to fill the spot this year adn obviously that was not enough so far

from where I sit YES

Seriously?  I can understand if you are just playing devils advocate here or perhaps you just trying to keep the word basketball off of this forum.........but it seems pretty apparent how that snippet was related to the subject at hand.

Here is the chain of how I got there.

1.  We didn't recruit enough QB's

2.  Well we did, but we lost out on a good when Nebraska stole him away , see "here"

3.  Hey, check out what was said in that article.  Wonder if he ever attended our bball games? I wonder if it left as much of a negative impression as Nebraska left a positive one?

I don't want this thread to stray, that wasn't my intention.  I just wanted to point out something that could be harmful to us in football recruiting.

As far as the QB's are concerned, I do think DD went after what he thought he needed.  I get the feeling that it simply was not considered that Byerly might not make it last spring.  THAT is where the coaching staff probably made a mistake.

We bet on one horse or mabye two and lost. Was that smart in our current situation? That is the question.

<snip>

Even IF Byerly had made the grades, how much game time experience would he have had coming into this year as our starting quarterback? Does anyone know how many snaps he had under his belt?

Keith

Even IF Byerly had made the grades, how much game time experience would he have had coming into this year as our starting quarterback?  Does anyone know how many snaps he had under his belt? 

Keith

So these MAGICAL JUCO QB's we were supposed to bring in, How many snaps have they taken at the Division I level?

We had a proven winner scheduled to start, but tragedy struck.

Going into the last recruiting season Dickey had Byerly and Meager penciled in as the #1 & #2 guys. He went after a high profile QB but didn't get him. He still filled the coffers with several Frosh QB's who would have a few years to develop behind Byerly and Meager.

I say scrap the whole thing and run the Single Wing.