Freshman making climb on QB chart

NT80

Freshman making climb on QB chart

11:41 PM CDT on Thursday, August 18, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Freshman quarterback Matt Phillips has moved to second on the depth chart after an impressive performance in practice. Phillips is one of several young players competing for the starting job. He gradually has earned more playing time and worked with the first-team offense Thursday.

Redshirt freshman Daniel Meager entered fall practice atop the depth chart but has been limited by a series of injuries, including a pulled hamstring. Phillips has received additional practice time with the first team in place of Meager.

..........................................................................................................

"...impressive performance in practice..." Is this based on factual performance or because he's a freshman playing with veterans or just editorial slang for snowjob to LSU? huh.gif

Edited by NT80

I noticed that Phillips is a BIG guy, maybe that will keep a little bit more healthy than a certain other QB!?!?

He is listed at the same height as said QB, but is 40 pounds heavier (220lbs)

Maybe this is the direction we should go.

I would love for Meager to play, no one has been a stronger advocate, but if he can't get in there and prove himself, he won't beat anyone out for that #1 spot.

I will say this, if healthy, I believe he could do some things at this school that would blow us a way. I have talked with his coach at Richardson, Bobby Reyes, I almost took a job there, and I came away thinking that this guy has the POTENTIAL to be the best guy we have ever had at this school!

We know what potential is all about though biggrin.gif

Hell, maybe Phillips is the future @ QB!

I still believe it was a huge mistake not nabbing a JuCo QB during the Spring.  Also, if it turns out we have a down year due to our QB situation, I believe we should recruit a JuCo QB- any thoughts?

A Juco QB would have to deal with the same learning curve that a freshman has to deal with. I'll lean toward a QB with Texas HS playoff experience over a JUCO from ....wherever.

If we were going to go JUCO, we should have brought one in during the spring practice.

Also, if it turns out we have a down year due to our QB situation, I believe we should recruit a JuCo QB- any thoughts?

There is no reason to get a JUCO QB! Not at this school if we are to go the places we all want to go.

We have a pool of young guys here to get the job done, it might just be shaky this year.

DEVELOP A GUY THIS YEAR, THAT CAN LEAD YOU FOR 3 YEARS, 2006, 2007, 2008!

Remember Scott's first year wasn't peaches and cream, but he gave us three solid years after.

A JUCO is going to more than likely come in hear as a junior, have a rough first year learning the system, maybe have a better year than a fresh. out of HS, but only have one good year left.

NOT WOORTH THE PAIN. TO HAVE A GREAT PROGRAM WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUNG GUYS.

There is no reason to get a JUCO QB!  Not at this school if we are to go the places we all want to go.

We have a pool of young guys here to get the job done, it might just be shaky this year.

Remember Scott's first year wasn't peaches and cream, but he gave us three solid years after.

A JUCO is going to more than likely come in hear as a junior, have a rough first year learning the system, maybe have a better year than a fresh. out of HS, but only have one good year left.

NOT WOORTH THE PAIN.  TO HAVE A GREAT PROGRAM WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUNG GUYS.

Good point Big Dawg.

There is no reason to get a JUCO QB!  Not at this school if we are to go the places we all want to go.

NOT WOORTH THE PAIN.  TO HAVE A GREAT PROGRAM WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUNG GUYS.

I noticed Nebraska shares your thoughts. huh.gif Oh, BTW, their new starting QB is a JUCO we went after.

What do we want our QB to do? Throw Aikman-like laser beam passes to Quinn and Nwigwe as they burn defenders down the field. Engineer 6-play, 80-yard touchdown drives on demand.

Now, what do we NEED our QB to do? Hand off the ball. Throw a screen pass. Hand off the ball. Catch the secondary sleeping and lob one out to Quinn. Don't fumble. Call the plays. Know when to call a timeout. Don't be hurt all the damn time. Did I mention hand off the ball?

Given this, I think you play the guy that has the best combination of smart and tough, that won't turn the ball over. In other words, someone like Scott Hall.

Later, if another guy turns out to be a stellar passer and has had some time to PROVE it, put him in.

What do we want our QB to do?  Throw Aikman-like laser beam passes to Quinn and Nwigwe as they burn defenders down the field.  Engineer 6-play, 80-yard touchdown drives on demand.

Now, what do we NEED our QB to do?  Hand off the ball.  Throw a screen pass.  Hand off the ball.  Catch the secondary sleeping and lob one out to Quinn.  Don't fumble.  Call the plays.  Know when to call a timeout.  Don't be hurt all the damn time.  Did I mention hand off the ball?

Given this, I think you play the guy that has the best combination of smart and tough, that won't turn the ball over.  In other words, someone like Scott Hall.

Later, if another guy turns out to be a stellar passer and has had some time to PROVE it, put him in.

Yes, and they should be able to hand off the ball laugh.gif

Guest UNTMike81*

Yes...we want a QB to do all the things Moot talked about. However, if we get a QB that can do all of the things Moot referred to while being an above average passer then our offense would be unstoppable. That would have to change DD and RF offensive style somewhat. The only reason we aren’t seeing the coaches do this is because we don't have anyone who can do this or they haven't delevoleped the skill to do this yet. Time will tell, when we have a QB that can make this happen the offensive scheme will change. Trust me on this, all of the coaches want to advance their careers and they will when we have the right QB.

Southern Cal has been known as Tailback U for years and it didn't seem to hurt them. I don't think anyone wants to see us deemphasize the running game or throw the ball 30 to 40 times a game, but I would like to see an increase from the current 12 to 15 times a game.

We need someone to take the pressure off of the running game by keeping the defense honest. I would love to see us average 20 to 25 throws a game.

You don't think a respected passing game would have helped out in the bowl game? I love Scott Hall, but he was never the same after his chest injury. We were not going to win any games if the other team shut down our running game, and we didn't have the passing attack to mount comebacks. Hall's strengths were his leadership ability and his ability to minimize mistakes not a strong arm.

It's my understanding NT had heavily recruited Zac Taylor, a JC QB...evidently thought we had him, them Nebraska came in and he went there....and will start for them this year.

Phillips was a very late signee as evidently NT couldn't get another JC QB they wanted.

One interesting tid bit..when NT was recruiting him, .Rivals had Taylor listed as a 3 *, when Nebraska signed him they listed him as a 4 *. Both the 3* and 4* were shown at the same time on the two different Rivals sites for potential recruits of NT and Neb.