Dickey, Villareal contract extensions

Baby Arm!

I keep having these haunting nightmares of a "football hating" Wally Cox-lookin' Mr. Peepers-type taking over from Norval Pohl. blink.gif  Jeez!  I have awakened with a cold sweat in the middle of the night with this nightmare. rolleyes.gif  (uh, just kiddin, folks).

Here's hoping, though, that NT doesn't take 5 giant steps backwards with our next NT Presidential hire.  We cannot afford that now, especially since we are just making up for lost time with the modernization of our athletic facilities which are being built not so much as luxuries but as necessary miniumums--even our new football stadium will fit in that criteria. 

I do have to think NT Board of Regent chairman Bobby Ray, a self-avowed Mean Green football enthusiast, is not going to let this particular hire get out of hand, though.  The jury is still out on his board's hiring of Lee Jackson, who I personally think was hand-picked by Dr. Al Hurley.

GMG!

PS:  I whole-heartedly agree with FFR and his assessment of our coaching staff and their situation.  We must raise all their salaries and I hope others than collegiate smack board posters know this.

Well, Plumm - you just made something obvious to me. As bummed out as I am about losing Norval Pohl - I guess that it is coming at the right time. After all, we are losing the BOR next summer - so this current BOR will have to approve of the new Prez (I am guessing). I guess that this is one small light being shined on the recent developments.

As to Matty thinking that having a non-Norval type as NT Prez - you are just going to have to trust us on this... the folks that sat through the years of Alfred Hurley and his pacifist/laisez-fare atttitude towards athletics to explain it to you... without a Norval Pohl running the show, your football team is an afterthought.

Many things can be taken away that we have been given to us under Pohl. You risk taking away the power of moving finals so that students can attend the bowl game and celebrate their University with pride. You risk taking away the power of letting the Athletic Director serve as the Emcee of Freshman Orientation and instilling Mean Green SPIRIT and PRIDE in our new students from day ONE. You risk taking away a President that sees that the only way this University can get the National attention that it deserves (like getting a Front Page article in the USA Today) is through the glamour and glitz of entertainment - in the South that is the phenomenum that is Texas Football. You risk taking away contract extensions and raises for the coaches. You risk taking away brand new athletic facilities being "built" not just "talked about being built". You risk taking away (extensive) coverage of the teams in the Alumni magazine. In a nutshell - you risk taking away the power. Saying that the President of the University has no power is like saying that the President of the U.S. has no power because of the "checks and balances" regulated by Congress.

This whole thing got turned around the day that Pohl stepped foot on campus. I know that you know nothing else other then winning (at least conference games) since you have only been a student for a few years... but you are just going to have to trust us on this one... the reasons why many of us are very upset at Pohl's resignation are ver valid ones. We have seen the dark side and do not want to go back. Couple that with the terms coming to a close on our athletic-friendly Board of Regents and you have a very scary future for the program. But Plumm did point out something that I had not thought of... if Pohl had to leave, this is the year for him to do it... that way the CURRENT BOR can nominate and elect the new President. So we got that going for us dry.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Plumm did point out something that I had not thought of... if Pohl had to leave, this is the year for him to do it... that way the CURRENT BOR can nominate and elect the new President.  So we got that going for us  dry.gif

This BOR has generally been kind to Athletics, but they also hired Chancellor Lee Jackson. mad.gif

This BOR has generally been kind to Athletics, but they also hired Chancellor Lee Jackson.  mad.gif

I think the hiring of LJ is a case of buyer's remorse. I want to say we were looking for one thing but got something totally different. LJ was touted as having politcal pull who could also help reel in donors for the numerous projects that are planned.

I think the hiring of LJ is a case of buyer's remorse.  I want to say we were looking for one thing but got something totally different.  LJ was touted as having politcal pull who could also help reel in donors for the numerous projects that are planned.

Bingo - LJ was brought in specifically as a fundraiser and the current BOR is very unhappy that he has not lived up to his promises of bringing in the bling bling.

Now will the BOR have the cajones to get rid of the problem and bring in someone that does not talk like a politician, but can actually get the job done.

We are already losing Dr. Pohl lets stop the bleeding now.

Oh yeah RV and DD do deserve raises and extensions just based on what they have done for UNT athletics the past 4 years.