Inside Dish:Scheduling difficulties for mid-majors

Inside Dish: Scheduling difficulties for mid-majors

By Matt Hayes - SportingNews

Mid-major schools are finding it difficult to schedule for the new 12-game seasons that will begin in 2006. In theory, when it comes to scheduling BCS schools, the extra game should give mid-majors leverage as they try to secure one home game in a three-game series. But one mid-major coach says, "I'd say about 80 percent of (BCS schools) will tell you to kiss off."

Although Oregon recently signed a home-and-home series with Boise State, that's far from typical. A prime example: Hawaii has been trying to schedule Florida for years -- as far back as when Steve Spurrier was the coach--and has inquired routinely about a two-for-one series. Hawaii just completed a deal to play the Gators -- one game, in Gainesville, in 2008. . . .

Why is this shocking?

12 game was pushed because the biggest schools could make more money playing a 12th game than they could from a small playoff (ie. less than 8).

Some very anti-playoff people jumped on the bandwagon because they saw it as a way to make a full playoff less palatable (not going to happen unless the season is scaled back costing money).

There is very little incentive to schedule home/home or 2 for 1 for the big money schools. They can buy a lower I-A or I-AA and make more money.

What 12 OUGHT to do is create more home/home series between the non-BCS leagues and the occasional game against a lower tier BCS that doesn't make good gate.

Florida isn't going to travel to Hawaii. Lose at Hawaii and you've all but lost your shot at BCS at-large berth.

If the non-BCS AD's play smart they won't fill those 4/5 non-conference dates with a steady diet of road money games and purchased home games against I-AA's. They will go home/home with their peers for at least 2 dates, maybe take one money game and buy one I-AA for a six game home slate.