North Texas and LSU connections

LSUfan4444

where you aware that your head basketball coach Johnny Jones was at the center of the recruiting scandal sorrounding LSU in the early 90's. He was an assistant at LSU who was accused of giving then LSU recruit, Lester Ear, who later transferred to Kansas, cash payments enticeing him to play at LSU.

ALSO,

did you know

Rick Villarreal - the AD at North Texas was a admin assisitant at LSU and also the tight ends coach and recruting coordinater at one point.

AND

did you know

Mike Bugar- your defensive tackles coach was once the d-coordinater at LSU from 90-93

AND

did you know

Chris Soroka - the mean green strength and conditioning coach was also on the staff here at LSU.

Just a little information you may not have known.

And NT basketball Coach Johnny Jones was exonerated from all alleged charges by the NCAA office. I think it important that that gets pointed out, too.

Good luck, LSU, with your 2005 season except-----------well, you know. smile.gif

We are glad to have all your other ex-employees here at NT, too, except they could probably utilize more monies that people like us on this forum could help them get by joining the Mean Green Club. They are all very talented but (I have always felt since Day One) a bit short-handed and staffed in the athletic department for which they all serve.

When I want our Rome built over-night in Denton, I have to keep pinching myself to remind myself how far we've come and how little money these guys (and gals) have had to get that far.

Even in the area of athletic marketing which is a prime interest area of mine (since my own career is involved in that area somewhat) I just keep having to remind myself of this and is the very reason SUMG was able to talk me into doubling my own MG Club donation this athletic year. I encourage all who have never given to the MG Club to start no matter what amount because it will truly give you that warm, fuzzy feeling doing so. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Our head coach, Darrell Dickey, also has LSU connections having served as tight ends coach a couple of seasons in the early 90s.

One other point about Johnny Jones. JJ would not undermine anything that would have jeopardized Dale Brown. And, as Plumm said, was cleared of any wrongdoing. Could've been that the one that 'turned him in' was bitter over losing Shaq.

If Johnny's coaching ability can match his character then we'll be fine.

Woohoo!  What's up, my Louisiana brother?  We gonna both whup some NT arse?!!  tongue.gif   just messin' with you NT guys smile.gif

Oh how I love collegiate message boards where you can tell someone you are going to pulverize them to a limb-less state and then tell them in the next sentence............ "Oh, I was only kiddin'!" laugh.gif

I still think NT wins against LTU because of the time of the season our team we will be playing them (among other reasons), but heaven forbid if for some reason we didn't it would really make many of us question the direction of our Texas/Oklahoma HS-based recruiting, but I just don't think it will come to that.

We have 2 RB's that the very prestigious Maxwell Award's people have placed on their check list and that is not a list to be taken with a ho-hum attitude. NT is the first school to ever have 2 RB's on this list the same year as I understand it.

NORTH TEXAS also has 2 running backs who can score from anywhere on the football field at any time of the game with NCAA D1-A schools that are ranked Top 50--119 and maybe even a few inside the Top 50.

Any 2005 NT opponent who thinks we strictly play paddy-cakes should see how effective the 2004 Mean Green rushing attack (w/o Patrick Cobbs) was against Big 12 Colorado AND when the Buffalos rushing defense was ranked #5 in the nation before that kick-off in Boulder. That alone would tend to bother me about the Mean Green's potent rushing offense in 2005 if I were an opponent of North Texas. NT will have a QB who will be playing with all cylinders by the time we get to Ruston.

But again............I guess that's why they play the game? blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We have 2 RB's that the very prestigious Maxwell Award's people have placed on their check list and that is not a list to be taken with a ho-hum attitude.  NT is the first school to ever have 2 RB's on this list the same year as I understand it.

NORTH TEXAS also has 2 running backs who can score from anywhere on the football field at any time of the game with NCAA D1-A schools that are ranked Top 50--119 and  maybe even a few inside the Top 50. 

You know, in all of this chest-beating about Patrick and Jamario, we seem to be forgetting that we are about 3-deep at RB. That "score from anywhere on the field" description also applies to Kevin Moore (#30 on your program), who put us in some great field positions last fall with his timely (and long) kick-off returns. Give Kevin a crease and that guy will be gone.

We also seem to forget that when Jamario and Kevin were not able to play in the ArkSt game, we inserted our FB James Mitchell into the RB spot and he responded with 166 yards......in LESS than ideal playing conditions.

ANY Sunbelt school would be glad to have the services of either one of those guys.

You know, in all of this chest-beating about Patrick and Jamario, we seem to be forgetting that we are about 3-deep at RB. That "score from anywhere on the field" description also applies to Kevin Moore (#30 on your program), who put us in some great field positions last fall with his timely (and long) kick-off returns. Give Kevin a crease and that guy will be gone.

We also seem to forget that when Jamario and Kevin were not able to play in the ArkSt game, we inserted our FB James Mitchell into the RB spot and he responded with 166 yards......in LESS than ideal playing conditions.

ANY Sunbelt school would be glad to have the services of either one of those guys.

Of course, I totally agree, Silver...

And James Mitchell had that superb performance on one of NT's several TV games last year. It was quite an exhibition from JMitchell in that game.

Kevin Moore has also turned into quite the kick-off return artist as well. Still pleases most of us how we recruited him right from under U of Houston's nose. UH had him projected as one who would have been one of their top signees (if not their #1 signee) the year Kevin was a HS senior AND then would later sign with us. We are most blessed in the RB Department at NORTH TEXAS. cool.gif

Now that NT offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry has made the Outland Trophy nominee list is really spicing things up for NT this pre-season. We do have some talent on this team. Too bad the recruiting gurus haven't figured it out yet. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen