UNT: Too many students' 2nd choice

SUMG

Silver is exactly right.  It's the herd mentality.  It takes more courage to wear your NT clothing and brag about the big things NT is doing than to be an aTm or UT fan.  Why?  You don't have a whole gang of lemmings to back you up.  Next time you see someone in a UT or aTm hat or t-shirt ask them what year they graduated.  I guarantee you 9 out of 10 people will say "I never went there but they're my favorite."  It's not just football success and it's definitely not academics.  It's being a part of the "crowd" that appeals to people.  Ask that same person what programs at UT or aTm are nationally ranked and they'll probably be honest and say "I don't even know, I just think they're cool."

Stand Up, don't be disheartened.  You are among the few with your own devotions, your own convictions and the ability to make your own decisions.

This is exactly true... I didnt go there but I like the football team.

"UNT" is only a slight to those who allow it to be. I use both UNT and NT, and don't get bent out of shape, if someone calls us "UNT".

Inasmuch as I work at a DFW area college as a recruiter, I have heard "UNT" many times from those not affiliated with our school who slide that phrase off their tongues without the slightest hint of a laugh or giggle.

I prefer NORTH TEXAS, too, but many times North Texas can mean so many other things such as we often hear on DFW area TV: "The "North Texas" weather is going to be hotter than hell today." blink.gif

Lets build a new football stadium and see if that helps with our name ID because of the level of school we will get to come play in that new stadium and see if the perceptions of our school will continue to improve (as we know it has dramatically in the last decade).

What's funny about all this to me is since NT opened for business in 1890, you'd think we would (by now) have this name thing resoved! biggrin.gif

Now back to the" correct shade of green at NT" discussion! blink.gif

(just kiddin') tongue.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thats cute. I guess if trying to look at the facts without letting my positive feelings of NT get in the way makes me an apologist, so be it. God forbid someone have a different opinion- I guess I should join the herd. wink.gif

IT'S SUNDAY MORNING COMING DOWN--TIME TO DO SOME KEYBOARDING! {:>(

Eagle1855, of course we are going to have different opinions or this board would not be as well visited as it is. Hang in there with your opinions because having opinions means you give a damn about NORTH TEXAS. (Emmitt01 did have a smilie at the end so he was not being mean-spirited by any means and he is not that way as it is).

UNT officials read this board quite frequently (and they are always welcome), but funny enough, many will tell you they don't browse GMG.com (although some of the conversations some of us have had them would prove other-wise).

IMO, the smarter NT employees realize they can get the true pulse of a very, very large segment of the NT constituency they serve by reading this GoMeanGreen.com---whether they like what they read or not. They are all welcome to register and voice their approval or displeasure with what is posted here, too. I feel the whole NT branding scenario proved that some from other parts of the NT community also read this board, hence, the email that showed up on FFR's computer by mistake? You can tell the the ones from athletics who read this board, too, by their attitude with you, the way they choose to greet you in public or the way they choose not greet you in public. Hopefully, maturity will prevail for all concerned.smile.gif I always liked what the only President of the USA I've seen in person, one Lyndon Baines Johnson, said when he said: "Come let us reason together." (Of course, LBJ borrowed that phrase from a certain Book many of us Amercans are familiar).

I admit that we (with me toward the top of this list with others) go on our little tangents from time to time, but I graduated from NORTH TEXAS and have followed this program almost since I first stepped onto the campus and that has been 33 years ago now so..............I believe I have earned the right to have an opinion or 2 (right or wrong) about our alma mater--just like anyone else does who just stepped onto the campus for the first time.

Some of us were once in our 30's (believe it or not) fighting some of the same battles you who are in your 30's are fighting today--or should I say "we" are still dealing with today because "fighting" might be a bit too strong a word. I hope some of you in your 3'rd decade of life following NT don't suddenly wake up in your your fifth decade and discover that the lofty goals we have today have not been achieved. Now that would be a sad chapter for all concerned.

It is my hope that we have those at our alma mater who really want to be employed @ North Texas and prove it with their actions. rolleyes.gif As much as I appreciate whats going on at our Eagle Point Campus, we really had no choice but to do all those things no matter who our NT chancellor, president or AD is, because the only alternative to not be doing what we're doing at our new Mean Green Athletic Village would be to drop to 1-AA or drop football periond (and that AIN'T going to happen in Denton, Texas, America)!

<>*<> AT THE TOP OF MANY OF OUR WISHLIST? A new football stadium? Believe it or not-----for many of us it is not--that is probably #2 on the list for all of us, though. Yet many of us would be very pleased if our NT Administration, NT Athletic Department and campus groups would attack this football attendance dilemma as if there are no tomorrows. We seem to be hesitant to attack this problem in a big way and our recent averages at Fouts Field is the main barometer we have to go by.

Solving the attendance deficiencies at NT starts with us on this very forum, ie, GoMeanGreen.com because if we are not buying football season tickets or even just buying them at the ticket office on Game Day, then who the hell out there is?

So to quote greenjoe: Join the Mean Green Club & Buy Season Tickets. One can do this on weekdays by calling NT Athletics @ 1-800-UNT-2366

Edited by PlummMeanGreen