FCA Myrle Greathouse All-Star Classic Recap

Harry

http://www.sanangelostandardtimes.com/sast...3832088,00.html

Chiefs' Payne named offensive MVP

By NATHAN WRIGHT nwright@sastandardtimes.com or 659-8246, Staff Writer

June 5, 2005

ABILENE - Former Lake View High School running back Robert Payne rushed for 183 yards, and teammate Matt Phillips ran for two touchdowns for the South, but the North rallied for a 22-21 victory in the sixth annual FCA Myrle Greathouse All-Star Classic Saturday at Shotwell Stadium.

Payne set game records for rushing attempts (27) and yards (183) as he was named the Gordon Wood Offensive MVP.

Prior to the contest, Payne received the Jon Rhiddlehover Memorial Spirit Award. The award is given in the memory of Rhiddlehover, a former player and coach who died in 2000 after a long battle with cancer.

''It was an honor just to play in this game,'' Payne said. ''It was a blessing just to be here.''

Payne got plenty of help from Phillips, who completed 11 of 15 passes for 98 yards. He scored on a pair of 1-yard touchdown runs.

The South took a 21-0 lead into halftime, but the North scored 22 unanswered points in the second half to win.

''In the first half everything was clicking,'' said Phillips, who is headed to the University of North Texas, an NCAA Division I-AA school in Denton. ''I had a great offensive line and receivers that could catch. In the second half, everything was flat.''

With two seconds remaining in the game, Abilene High's Matt Adams kicked a 55-yard field goal to give the North the victory.

To start the game, Phillips took the first snap from Central's Caleb Steed and handed it off to Payne for a 3-yard gain.

That would become a recurring theme throughout the first half.

On the opening drive alone, Payne rushed 13 times for 58 yards, and Phillips completed 4 of 4 passes for 51 yards, including an 8-yard completion to teammate Christian Perryman.

Phillips ran it in from a yard out to put the South ahead 7-0.

After a punt by the North and fumbles by both teams, Phillips and Payne were both on the field again late in the first half.

Payne, who said Saturday he is attending North Texas as a preferred walk-on, broke off an 84-yard run down to the North's 1-yard line, and Phillips took it in from there to give the South a 14-0 lead after the successful conversion.

''It was long,'' Payne said of the run. ''I hadn't been conditioning like I should've.''

Perryman caught two passes for 11 yards, and Central's Derreck Ratcliff had four tackles, one for a loss. Teammate Cody Bahlman had three tackles, one for a loss.

Sweetwater's Jeremy Thompson rushed eight times and had 94 yards and a touchdown for the North. He scored on a 74-yard TD to begin the North's comeback from a 21-0 deficit.user posted imageuser posted image

Be easy on Nate,Am sure it was a type-o. Nate gives NT a lot of type in west texas!

I don't think it was a type-o. When you make a point of talking about a schools NCAA status, then that's intentional.

If, as you say, he's been giving us a lot of press, then he should have been knowledgable enough to say something like "Sunbelt Conference member North Texas" or "Sunbelt Conference Champions North Texas" instead of "NCAA Division 1-AA North Texas".

Here is the response from Nathan Wright to my e-mail.

"Okay, let me clarify a couple of things: First, I did not mention North

Texas' NCAA status in the story I sent in. Our assistant sports editor

added

it in because our new upper management (specifically our managing

editor)

has now made stuff like that necessary. It is our readers that he

thinks are

ignorant. Of course we are supposed to get stuff like that right.

Our assistant sports editor realized he had made a mistake the next day

and

we promptly ran a correction. We apologized to the media relations

person at

North Texas that first brought it to our attention. You can email our

assistant sports editor at tthomas@sastandardtimes.com and let him know

how

ignorant he is. I have forwarded this to him. I know he was upset when

he

realized he made the mistake. I don't know what else to say in his

defense.

He made a mistake - something he doesn't do very often - and has been

notified about iit.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention again. Again, we at the

Standard-Times apologize for our mistake."

cool.gif

good grief, he sounds like he was heart broken over whatever you wrote... what did you say to him? haha

Well, in my e-mail I asked why anyone would mention a University's NCAA status in the first place. I then suggested that since they labeled us as 1-AA, there could be only three reasons for that happening.. 1. ignorance, 2. laziness, or 3. someone was taking a deliberate shot at us. He chose ignorance.

His response seems to imply that whenever his paper runs sports stories about any of the B-12 schools, they will include a statement about those school's NCAA status.

Call me cynical, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't. wink.gif

Well, in my e-mail I asked why anyone would mention a University's NCAA status in the first place. I then suggested that since they labeled us as 1-AA, there could be only three reasons for that happening.. 1. ignorance, 2. laziness, or 3. someone was taking a deliberate shot at us. He chose ignorance.

His response seems to imply that whenever his paper runs sports stories about any of the B-12 schools, they will include a statement about those school's NCAA status.

Call me cynical, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't. wink.gif

Of course, something else for the west Texas journalist to think about is how many freakin' NCAA D1-AA schools have played in a bowl game the last 4 years in a row? And a bowl game, ie, the NO's Bowl that ESPN advertises as "kicking off the bowl season?" They should put their correction on this in 3 inch headlines! ! ! laugh.gif

Do they sell Dave Campbell's TEXAS FOOTBALL magazine in San Angelo, too? That would have given any Texas sports-scribe a pretty big hint of what competion level we are. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Phillips, who completed 11 of 15 passes

Payne, who said Saturday he is attending North Texas as a preferred walk-on, broke off an 84-yard run

I was glad to see Phillips passing stats were good, then I was very glad to see Payne would be attending UNT also.

Nice guy or not, the 1-AA comment deserved emails; they need to learn to proof read details like that. I bet if they labeled UT 1-AA they'd get some mail! mad.gif

If that is what you said in your e-mail, you are a jackass! I hope the next person who catches you in a mistake rips you a new ass!

They ran a correction, it was an honest mistake, you are the type of person who gives hard core fans a bad name! You sir, should be ashamed!

You have hurt NT's image more than his damn article!

If that is what you said in your e-mail, you are a jackass!  I hope the next person who catches you in a mistake rips you a new ass!

They ran a correction, it was an honest mistake, you are the type of person who gives hard core fans a bad name!  You sir, should be ashamed!

Seriously, don't sugar coat it Big Dawg. Tell him how you really feel.

BIG DAWG

If that is what you said in your e-mail, you are a jackass! I hope the next person who catches you in a mistake rips you a new ass!

They ran a correction, it was an honest mistake, you are the type of person who gives hard core fans a bad name! You sir, should be ashamed!

Obviously your not sick of these so called mistakes yet.

Good email Silver, glad to see there's still folks out there unwilling to roll over like a.....?.

Rick

I am not rolling over like anything! Also, if your going to imply it, go ahead and come out with it! Don't give me the, "..." crap. Be a man and say it!

I wish people wpuldn't make those stupid mistakes, but I am not going to roll on them like Silver did. I have sent my fair share of e-mails, but I didn't show my ass when I did.

He went over board, and there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. He did it the wrong way.

The best way to fix these problems is on the field! We are on our way, but until we get there, we are going to deal with little shit like this. Once again there is a wrong way, and a right way.

Dawg, maybe Silver should have toned his email down. But, after reading your responses, I'm not sure how much room you have to talk about keeping it professional in redressing percieved wrongs.

And calling out FFR to be a man? A guy whose job description includes charging into burning buildings to save people? Really? What do you do?

Dawg, maybe Silver should have toned his email down.  But, after reading your responses, I'm not sure how much room you have to talk about keeping it professional in redressing percieved wrongs.

I'll agree with that. Starting to sound like www.baylorfans.com around here with all the infighting and profanity.

Edited by shaneb

If that is what you said in your e-mail, you are a jackass!  I hope the next person who catches you in a mistake rips you a new ass!

They ran a correction, it was an honest mistake, you are the type of person who gives hard core fans a bad name!  You sir, should be ashamed!

Well, as it turned out it wasn't his mistake but the mistake of "management". I don't know if I went overboard or not, but he and I discussed it via e-mail and it's over.

Quite frankly, as a long-suffering North Texas fan/alumni I've become fed-up with being a good sport to the media. Through the (corridor of) years they've made denegrating, derisive, and dismissive comments about North Texas and I'm sick of it. Maybe most of those comments have been "honest mistakes", but after a while they have a cumulative effect on how the general public views our school's athletic program.

If that newspaper had printed the same comment (NCAA Division 1-AA) about A$M, Tech or Texas, their fans would have flooded the paper's e-mail box with loud and angry protests. I will go even further, and guess that the same aforementioned fans would contact the owner of the paper, and would be making demands that the reporter and his boss be fired.

I settled things with the reporter in my e-mail exchange between us. Maybe you don't like how I did it, and that's too bad. But I'll guarantee you that that reporter (and his bosses) will not ever think that North Texas fans are the apathetic, ho-hum, milque toast fans that the media has been used to for decades......and decades. wink.gif