Just What Is NT Getting From Sportexe.com ?

...........seems to infer in the Sportexe.com website feature concerning UNT's purchase that that is what we are getting, but that is not what we are getting; that is, what the Super Dome has as its turf. Best I can tell, the Super Dome has Momentum turf from the Sportexe company, but we are getting their other turf, ie, Omni-Grass.

Not suggesting that there is any semblance of deception on what we are being told about all this turf business, but most all the other colleges (including Stephen F. Austin U) are getting Sportexe's Momentum turf. So I guess the question is: Is Omni-Grass superior to Momentum or visa-versa? Anyone with any answers to this please enlighten some of us novices because these same questions were asked to me from another fellow alum yesterday who wanted to know....."what's up with all this?" rolleyes.gif

I know we are all very appreciative that our Mean Green team has new turf which will be ready to play on at our home season opener against the Tulsa U Golden Hurricane; but just reading the different articles and perusing the Sportexe website on this the last few weeks, does there seem to be some slight inconsistencies?

I probably over-looked it on the Sportexe website, but what other major colleges or NFL teams are using Omni-Turf as their main venue or stadium turf?

This is from Sportexe.com

Sportexe® Omnigrass® is a state-of-the-art turf system — and the safest synthetic field on the market today. A proven performer, Omnigrass®' ideal combination of firmness, durability and cushioning provides years of year-round use for a multitude of sports. A cost effective surface with unsurpassed levels of shock absorption, it's no wonder Omnigrass® is a favorite for athletes at every level of competition.

EXPECT PERFORMANCE

Omnigrass® is built for safety

Proven safest in the industry by the Human Performance Laboratory at the University of Calgary based on the Study Properties of infilled artificial playing surfaces

Provides stability, traction, and speed, simulating a perfect natural grass surface

Offers an extremely fast, yet safe playing field

Developed to support the highest levels of competition

EXPECT QUALITY AND DURABILITY

Omnigrass® is built to last

Face weight — heightened for added durability and a longer life span

Uniform fiber matrix for more stability — better traction in all directions

Sportexe’s QuadBack™ technology — FOUR layers of primary backing

Infill — 100% ground SBR rubber particles

Seams — sewn edge-to-edge, firmly and securely

EXPECT INNOVATION

Omnigrass® is built on innovation

Tailored to meet customer needs

Brought to the market by the company leading the turf industry in research and development

Sportexe® offers two height and weight combinations, with high density and Equal Matrix™ backings:

2” (41 oz. face weight)

2.5” (51 oz. face weight)

user posted image

The difference between the Sportexe® Momentum™ and the Sportexe® Omnigrass® is the filler between the blades.

The Momentum™ infill is 70% ambient ground rubber and 30% sand, while the Omnigrass® is 100% ground rubber.

I think the reason that Omnigrass® was selected was because it can be moved to another location (indoor practice facility) at a later date. According to the sales expert that FFR conversed with, the sand filled fields are nearly impossible to relocate without destroying them.

user posted image

Omnigrass infill

user posted image

Momentum infill

Edited by ADLER

The difference between the Sportexe® Momentum™ and the Sportexe® Omnigrass® is the filler between the blades.

The Momentum™ infill  is 70% ambient ground rubber and 30% sand, while the  Omnigrass® is 100% ground rubber.

I think the reason that Omnigrass® was selected was because it can be moved to another location (indoor practice facility) at a later date. According to the sales expert that FFR conversed with, the sand filled fields are nearly impossible to relocate without destroying them.

user posted image

Fair enough...

Almost $700,000 of (basically) taxpayer's monies are being spent on this and my main concern was why all the other progarms were choosing Momentum for their main football venues (not practice fields) while we chose Omnigrass. Thanks, ADLER, for the answer to my question. Sounds like a good choice and the words "indoor practice facility" is music to all our ears.

GMG!

Taxpayer money?!  I doubt it.  Athletics has never been funded at any university in Texas by taxes.  More then likely this is from revenue and student service fees.

Of course, these monies were a loan to NT Athletics (approved by our Board of Regents) from what used to be called the NT President's Discretionary Fund for the purpose of improving facilities. I suppose I should have said our taxpayer's sons and daughters tuition as approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board since that large a loan might have to be approved by the state agency? You who work (or worked) for NT, just where do the taxpayer's monies come into play at our alma mater?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I emailed Dr. Bland, who is my professor for Revenue Policy in the Public Administration program. Here's what he had to say:

Q: I had a question pertaining to revenue and the university. How much

of taxpayer's money actually ends up at the university? I mean, does

the state supply the universities with grants based on tax revenues?

Response: Good question. And the answer is quite complex. But here is the essence: UNT will receive about $145 million next year from the state (on a total budget of $465 million). In terms of operations, the $145 million represents about 42% of university expenditures. BUT, the state legislature includes in its apprpriation about $45 million in tuition, so the net tax subsidy to UNT is around $100, less than one-fourth the operating budget. Details on the UNT budget can be found at www.unt.edu/ereports/budgets/untfy05.xls