All-Time Mean Green Team

Eagle-96

I would also have to add:

Brian Smith as a punt returner.

Brock McGrew and JT Smith returning kickoffs.

David Brown who played opposite Redwine in the early 90's was a great receiver as well.

I would add Matt Simon as the starting Diet Coke Boy.

I would also have to add:

Brian Smith as a punt returner.

Brock McGrew and JT Smith returning kickoffs.

David Brown who played opposite Redwine in the early 90's was a great receiver as well.

I would add Matt Simon as the starting Diet Coke Boy.

Was it Brock or Broderick?

Anyway...please let's EVER mention the name Matt Simon again. Noticed he had to take a job way up in Yankee country (running back coach for Baltimore Ravens)...just to get away from the ridicule. ph34r.gif

Was it Brock or Broderick?

Anyway...please let's EVER mention the name Matt Simon again. Noticed he had to take a job way up in Yankee country (running back coach for Baltimore Ravens)...just to get away from the ridicule. ph34r.gif

His name was Broderick but many people called him Brock.

I have taken your points into consideration and have moved Matt Simon to 3rd string Fresca Light Holder.

You know what is funny is that everyone can name lots of skill players but not many lineman, especially offensive linemae.  Look about at Cooley's list.  There are tons of other player but the spot that has 5 men on the feild lists five players.

Matt,

You are dead-on. I have a hard time naming O-lineman that played prior to the 90's and I think that others on the board have difficulty remembering the O-Lineman from eras other than the time they started watching the Mean Green. It's ironic that O-Lineman don't get the recognition they deserve considering you guys perform the dirtiest, nastiest, roughest job on the field. You guys hit(and get hit) on EVERY PLAY and pop up to do it all over again.

Who would you consider the best lineman you ever played alongside?

Who would you consider the best defensive player you played against?

Best lineman I played against would be a tie - Brewster and Andy Lott

Brewster was just an animal. We called him grave digger because when we had one on one pass rush drills he would start off getting beat and then sink down and bury the defender.

Lott was all conference my freshman year and pretty darn good. If he got his hands on you it was over. He didnt come into camp my Soph year in shape and because of him I moved to offense.

Best defender on our team DT would have to be Booger, I remeber my Soph year we would watch him in one on one pass rush and no one could stop him not even the upper classmen.

DE - This is really a toss up. Adrian Awesome was young when I was done but OK. I think I would go with Corbin M. he was just mean and ripped. Hard to stop.

Haven't been around as long as some, and haven't seen enough to construct a complete team, but here are some guys that I will still be likely to consider in 20 years. Keep in mind, if I were to make a team, it would include the greats like Greene, Haynes, Ramsey, and so on, but these are those I have seen that could be seriously considered in the future.

RB: Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, Kevin Galbreath

WR: Johnny Quinn

OL: Andy Brewster, Nick Zuniga

DL: Booger Kennedy

LB: Brad Kassell, Cody Spencer

DB: Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones

P/K: Jason Ball

It's amazing the quality of backfield talent I have seen in my short time following the Mean Green. I listed three backs above, with two national rushing champs and a bowl game MVP...and there is more to come.

Edited by Coach

I think Grey, Cooley and other pretty much covered it all. I was going to add Kieth Chapman but someone already did. I saw him hit some of the biggest, decisive kicks ever including three monster hits to help us come from behind to beat Ttech as a 1-AA in '88.

Interestingly, Marcus Camper is a cop in Arlington and I believe Troy Redwine is a firefighter in Irving now. They were our Mighty Quinn's of the 80's and 90's. If you ever get a chance to see a replay of that catch in '88 that little 5 foot 8 inch Marcus Camper made against Texas you will know how amazing that guy was.

Rick