2005 jersey numbers

GrayEagle

The jersey number assignments have been made and posted to the roster on the athletic site.

There are 110 athletes on the roster. It includes walk-ons already enrolled and scholarship freshmen. There are a few assignments that I do not understand.

With only 95 available numbers and a 110 man roster, it is inevitable that some will have duplicate numbers but in four cases(18,27,39 and 69), THREE athletes have been assigned that number. Yet, there are seven unused numbers to which no one was assigned 11, 12, 57, 71, 78, 87, and 99).

The other thing that baffles me is why Tight End Robert Harmon wears #69 when 87 is available.

Gentlemen. Start your flaming...

I am opposed to retiring numbers.

I think we should expect great things from our athletes, and unless or until one of our players wins the Heisman Trophy, I think we belittle our program by retiring jersey numbers.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

(didn't Abner Haynes wear #28 ?)

Edited by greenjoe

Gentlemen.  Start your flaming...

I am opposed to retiring numbers. 

I think we should expect great things from our athletes, and unless or until one of our players wins the Heisman Trophy, I think we belittle our program by retiring jersey numbers.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

(didn't Abner Haynes wear #28 ?)

I tend to agree with that. I believe that, instead of retiring numbers, the athletic dept should designate those numbers to be worn by outstanding players.

The jersey number assignments have been made and posted to the roster on the athletic site.

There are 110 athletes on the roster.  It includes walk-ons already enrolled and scholarship freshmen.  There are a few assignments that I do not understand. 

With only 95 available numbers and a 110 man roster, it is inevitable that some will have duplicate numbers but in four cases(18,27,39 and 69), THREE athletes have been assigned that number.  Yet, there are seven unused numbers to which no one was assigned 11, 12, 57, 71, 78, 87, and 99). 

The other thing that baffles me is why Tight End Robert Harmon wears #69 when 87 is available.

I think we can give a good guess as to why no one is using #12...

I agree that it is fitting and proper not to use the #12 for a period of, say ten years. What I'd really like to see in lieu of a retired number is for all special players to receive a 10-year moratorium on their number and then, perhaps, have the number reissued to all-conference/all-americans only; similar to what Silver Eagle said. The same would be true for those who died while a team member or use their number with a black arm band for a period of time.

The three who went on to become all-pro are certainly deserving of special recognition. Richard Gill had the potential to be our very best linebacker and died indirectly because of an injury suffered so he, too, deserves special recognition. I just don't think that retired numbers are the way to go.

Back to my earlier comment. I can certainly understand the need for duplicating some numbers until the roster is firmed. What I can't understand is triplicating numbers. It can really be confusing when it's unnecessary.

I believe that 12, 55, and 75 are three of them, but I do not know the fourth one.

UNTrivia answer:

1. c. Richard Gill -- An all-conference linebacker for North Texas in 1968 and 1969, wearing jersey No. 55. He was to return to the team during the 1970 season, following routine knee surgery for an injury he suffered during practice prior to his senior year. Gill suffered an untimely death when a blood clot reached his lungs shortly after the surgery. He was survived by his wife and son and a daughter, who was born after his death. In 1971, Gill was the first North Texas player to have his number retired.

2. d. Joe Green -- A three-time all-Missouri Valley Conference defensive tackle who anchored a unit nicknamed the "Mean Green," which led to his own nickname "Mean" Joe Greene. After being a consensus all-American pick in 1968, he went on to a Hall of Fame career in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers. North Texas retired his No. 75 jersey in 1981 and inducted him into the UNT Hall of Fame in 1988.

3. a. Abner Haynes -- A two-time all-Missouri Valley Conference running back for the Eagles. Haynes ranked seventh in the nation in rushing and fifth in scoring as a senior in 1959. He led North Texas to an appearance in the 1959 Sun Bowl post-season game and was named an All-American by Time Magazine that same year. He was inducted into the UNT Hall of Fame in 1986, the same year North Texas retired his No. 28 jersey.

4. b. Ray Renfro -- An all-American running back for the Eagles in 1951 who went on to play 12 years in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns. Renfro was the Browns' most feared receiver in the mid-to-late '50s, and he played in three Pro Bowls. Later, Renfro served as an assistant coach with the Dallas Cowboys and participated in Super Bowls V and VI. He was inducted into the UNT Hall of Fame in 1988, and his No. 33 jersey was retired posthumously in 2000. Renfro died in 1997 at the age of 67.