• Create Account

Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com Forum

Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com Forum, home of University of North Texas students, alumni and fans.  Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the GoMeanGreen.com family by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Get access to the chat room, member map, arcade, photo gallery and much, much more!
  • Customize your experience here
  • Access premium content and features only available to registered members
  • Registration is simple and easy as we allow use of valid Google, Facebook and Twitter accounts:  Click here to register
Thanks for visiting and as always -- GO MEAN GREEN!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Female students strip to pay for college

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MeanGreen61

MeanGreen61

GoMeanGreen.com MVP

• Members
  • 10,134 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

Female students strip to pay for college tuition

MICHELLE MASHBURN
Daily Reporter

April 29, 2005

Pulsing multi-colored beams pierced the swirls of smoke that filled the air at the Texas Showgirls club Wednesday night. Hip-hop music thundered through speakers as a young woman in a short black dress and shiny stiletto heels took center stage, attaching a recently acquired dollar bill to her garter.

Many students are familiar with the setting of an adult club, particularly the young women working there to pay for college expenses.

One student, "Megan," who wished to withhold her real name, is graduating from a local university in May and has financed a significant portion of her college expenses by dancing at an undisclosed Dallas club. Money was her primary motivator in choosing the job.

"I was enticed by the money, absolutely!" Megan said. "I liked the attention from customers and the friendships I had with some of the dancers."

Jodi Cheyenne, TWU senior, first began working as a waitress at what she described as an all nude "dive" in Abilene in 2002, just after her 19th birthday.

"I couldn't find a job anywhere, and they hired me on the spot," Cheyenne said. "The dancers could be annoying sometimes because they were always saying things like, 'You'll be dancing in two weeks. No one ever makes it two weeks without dancing or quitting.' They all started out as waitresses, of course. I did end up quitting after two weeks exactly, but I lasted six months at the other club I waitressed at."

Cheyenne began working at a Dallas topless club in February 2003 after transferring to NT, and used the weekend income for living expenses.

"The money was good when it was good, but when the money was bad, it was really bad," she said.

Megan also began as a waitress, but was fired for poor performance, and subsequently sought employment at the club's main competitor. She applied as a waitress, but was hired as a dancer.

"This is a very common practice in the industry -- a girl comes in to get a job as a waitress and they convince her to dance," Megan said. "However, I was already curious about dancing so I really didn't need much persuading."

Megan and Cheyenne both found the adaptability of scheduling to be one of the biggest benefits of the job.

"I love the flexibility dancing provides," Megan said. "I never have to jeopardize homework or an upcoming test to make it in for a shift that I would be required to work for a different type of job. I also love the fact that the money is instant."

According to Michael Niskar, general manager of Texas Showgirls, a Dallas topless club, some clubs are very lenient with their student employees.

"We're very flexible on [students'] schedules. We let them come in late or leave early if they have class the next morning," Niskar said. "We normally require that all girls work at least one slow night per week, like a Monday or a Sunday, but we give the students a break."

Niskar said he does not find it an inconvenience to have so many student employees; in fact, he prefers "having entertainers who are in college or who have never been in the business before, because that way they can be taught how to do it the right way."

"Sometimes, when girls come from other clubs, they arrive with bad habits intact, and those can be very hard to break," Niskar said.

Megan believes that the "sleazy, creepy pervert" profile of a typical strip club patron is not an entirely accurate one.

"Most people would assume the customers are the worst part of it but I feel really lucky because I usually always get the really nice guys that are polite, respectful and generous," Megan said.

Many who are "in the industry" believe that there are plenty of drawbacks as well.

"The job desensitizes you," Cheyenne said. "The lifestyle can really get suck in some girls. Nightly drinking can be troublesome for some, and some of the dancers get into drugs and/or prostitution."

Niskar said his club takes precautions to prevent employees from engaging in illegal activity.

"We have random drug testing for all our employees," Niskar said. "We have a zero tolerance policy on drugs and prostitution."

Erma Lawson of the sociology faculty is also a medical sociologist and registered nurse believes the work environment in clubs to be detrimental to the physical and mental health of its employees.

"I think there are many negative effects. Being constantly surrounded by smoke has a very profound effect on the lungs' capacity to function properly. Studies have proven that there is a link between cigarette smoking and cervical and ovarian cancer, which are both on the rise," Lawson said. "[The dancers'] clothing, or lack of clothing, can also pose a danger to the women, especially the high heels, which has been proven to have an enormous impact on the spine."

Lawson said she also thinks that working in an adult club environment can negatively influence women's body image.

"It becomes an instrument, a means to an end," Lawson said. "That may also affect one's self-image down the road in terms of thinking well enough about herself to select a marriage partner."

Megan advises that working in a strip club is not for everyone, and certainly not a wise choice for a permanent job.

"If you can have the mentality to do it for a certain period of time while accomplishing something, like college or some type of post-high school training, and the strength to get out...then it's a great way to make a temporary living," she said.

#2 MootPoint

MootPoint

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

Interesting that a woman wrote the article. . . . I would have thought with college students, you would have half a dozen guys screaming to do this story. wink.gif
This is my lack of a real signature.

#3 MeanGreenBuzz

MeanGreenBuzz

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:57 PM

I had a friend that waitressed at silver city and she said you would be suprised how many girls came down there and danced a few nights just for the money. She worked there 3 months and didn't dance, but there were 3 girls from NT that got hired as waitresses and then danced a few times.

#4 Rudy

Rudy

GoMeanGreen.com Addict

• Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(MeanGreen61 @ May 2 2005, 03:47 PM)
Being constantly surrounded by smoke has a very profound effect on the lungs' capacity to function properly.

ohmy.gif No effing way. Surely, you CANT be serious!!! Don't let Phillip Morris find out about that study ohmy.gif blink.gif unsure.gif

If you're telekenetic and you know it clap my hands.

#5 drex

drex

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

"Let's give a bump for U of N T
Grind for the green and white..
Tips are in store, no matter the score,
Our girls will ever fight, fight, fight.

This conjures up a basketball halftime performance that could be in Sports Illustrated.

#6 UNTFan23

UNTFan23

Surprises are coming out every day

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(Rudy @ Jun 4 2005, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE(MeanGreen61 @ May 2 2005, 03:47 PM)
Being constantly surrounded by smoke has a very profound effect on the lungs' capacity to function properly.

ohmy.gif No effing way. Surely, you CANT be serious!!! Don't let Phillip Morris find out about that study ohmy.gif blink.gif unsure.gif

I'm sorry ...

user posted image
facebook_logo.pngblogger.pngtwitter-logo.png

bar-pitcrew.jpg

#7 gksmith

gksmith

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

I think that is the story almost anywhere (except maybe BYU).

Wasn't there a movie about this?

GK Smith

Facebook - Greg Smith
Twitter - @gksmith2002
LinkedIn - gregoryksmithmcts

Greg's Virtual Business Card - https://www.mcpvirtu...goryksmith/card

Next week there can't be any crisis. My schedule is already full. Henry A. Kissinger

GO MEAN GREEN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users