At the Game

untgirl04

Ok then,  let's do it like a lot of schools do it.  Lets move the student and band sections into the endzone seats.  They should have plenty of room there.    That way we will get SOME use out of those things and it leave more sideline seats for "Paying" fans.  dry.gif

Ok, I see your point. But what about this: imagine you are a current student at UNT, and every day, you deal with less and less parking, higher book prices, raised tuition, increased and added fees, and so on and so on.... You decide to go out and support the team every week by going to football games, basketball games, softball games, tennis, volleyball... anything you can do - between your work and school schedules. Now, one day you go to the game and are put in the endzones, where you can barely see the action. You can't leave your seats to go to the bathroom, or go get a drink of water. You gave up the opportunity to make more money (which at college tuition prices, you desperately need) so that you can support your team. It becomes obvious to you that the university doesn't really care about the students. When you graduate and become a successful member of society, will you really feel like donating money to your dear old alma mater?

Part of RV's job is to get money from alumni. Why not make his job a little easier by making sure that students leave the university feeling great about their experiences there? I'm not suggesting that students be given prime seats on the 50, but please don't shove the students in some corner somewhere. The students are the lifeblood of this university, and without them, you'd be really hardpressed to get anyone into the seats.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imagine you are a current student at UNT, and every day, you deal with less and less parking, higher book prices, raised tuition, increased and added fees, and so on and so on....

Sob..Sob. When I was a student we dealt with higher tuition and high book costs. I worked through school and quit so my wife could finish while I worked.

You are not a victim, you are blessed.

Sob..Sob. When I was a student we dealt with higher tuition and high book costs. I worked through school and quit so my wife could finish while I worked.

You are not a victim, you are blessed.

I'm alumna as well. My point is just that some students I'm sure feel this way. Higher tuition and things are all facts of life that we all deal with. But I do think that the university could do a better job of being nice to current students.

First off, my legal disclaimer: I was not at the game last night, so I have no first-hand knowledge. However, the situation being described (student stands packed like sardines, ushers telling people if they leave they will not be able to get back in, line of people waiting to get back in) sounds like a fire code issue. My guess is that someone in charge realized there were entirely too many people in that area and told ushers to allow exits only until the numbers leveled out. Much like waiting at a club for two people to leave before they will let another two in, only they weren't letting anybody back in for a while because they were over the limit, not at it.

Again, this is a W.A.G., but it makes sense given the circumstances!

Ok then, let's do it like a lot of schools do it. Lets move the student and band sections into the endzone seats. They should have plenty of room there. That way we will get SOME use out of those things and it leave more sideline seats for "Paying" fans. dry.gif

Yeah that makes perfect sense so the alumni can look at rows and rows od empty steel rows. That is the brightest idea yet. rolleyes.gif

Give the students some recognition for actually showing up rather than burning bridges like many are doing.

I'm a student, I was in the student section last night.  I didn't have any of these problem untgirl is describing.  My group was allowed to come an go as many times as we wanted.  The users did try to keep the ailes clear.

As with any situation, your mileage may vary.

The last time I remember an "outside" hired group handling and enforcing seating was during Helwig's early years. I was a student then and was very PO'd by the way things were done (rude attendants, etc.). In hindsight, part of it was probably shock at the rules actually being enforced, but I'll also say that I wasn't impressed with the attitude of the people either.

Now, on Sat. night, I'll will say that every one of the hired hands that I encountered was extremely polite. Yes, it was a pain to have to show the tickets every time I got up (which is often with small kids), but it was a small pain.

I wasn't on the student side, so I don't know what happened over there, but I had no complaints in my section.

OK, I agree with a lot of what's said in here, especially after the water thing and AT's flag getting taken (good thing mgdork got it back from the cop), so here's what you learn to do:

Act like you know what you're doing. Before the game, at roughtly 5:15, I went to see my mother in Section E to give her a few things I had for her and to say "Hi." At the top of the ramp/bottom of the stairs, the guy asked to see my ticket. I just said "I'm with my mom," and walked up the steps to talk with her. If you stop for them or look like you're lost, they have a chance to question you and block your way. Mind you I didn't make a concession run, but if there's more of you than them, they can't stop everyone from just walking by.

Learn to hide stuff better. I can understand not allowing beer or sodas or food, but banning water is crap. However, do you really need to be holding it? Just put it in your pocket, show your ID, and walk on in. Back in August, I went to Houston for the Cowboys/Texans game, and went to the pregame food thing in the Bubble. We grabbed a few extra bottles of water for the game, but Security wasn't letting them in. So I just slipped it in my pocket after emptying it of the metal objects that the wand might find. The others in my group had to throw theirs away, but I still had mine. And if they're searching purses, make sure it's on the bottom and there are things over it. I have a friend who's always bringing her own water and snacks into the movie theater by doing that.

If you want to do something, learn how to do it beforehand.

I intend to write RV a letter first thing in the morning. I want to make sure that he understands the seriousness of the situation. In addition, I know of four others who are writing letters. Anyone else who would like to contribute, please feel free. As emmitt01 said so eloquently last week, we just don't have that big a fan base.  Just when students are starting to come to the games, they go and make it miserable for them. If RV and UNT Athletics want to build a new stadium, they're going to have to fill Fouts first. If they can't get the students to return to the games, they'll never get it done.

I wrote to RV about an issue I had at a game last year and he simply gave me a "I thought that type of mindset was gone" (complaining about anything) instead of actually addressing the issue.

I agree PMG. We need a new stadium so badly. It would change everything around here. I complain a lot about fans coming in at the end of the 1st quarter and such. I have to wonder if part of that psche is the result of being in a stadium in which you really don't feel like you are part of the game or can contribute as a fan.

It is needed and it must happen if we are to have a future. Troy and FAU are finding a way to get it done. We have got to do the same.

I closed the store early to get to the game on time. As I was leaving, a couple came in and asked for a repair I chose to do on the spot. Now, in more of a hurry, I left forgetting the 12 inch wrench I had stuck in my pocket. And I didn't think about it until I heard "no outside water" in line to get in Fouts. I stuck my bottle in my pocket, only to find that wrench. No one said a word. Now it was a wrench and not a gun, but I couldn't help but laugh that people were being asked to dispose of water when I brought in a hunk of steel. On a side note, I was able to adjust the gears on RV's bicycle at halftime. GO MEAN GREEN and hurry

I closed the store early to get to the game on time.  As I was leaving, a couple came in and asked for a repair I chose to do on the spot.  Now, in more of a hurry, I left forgetting the 12 inch wrench I had stuck in my pocket.  And I didn't think about it until I heard "no outside water" in line to get in Fouts.  I stuck my bottle in my pocket, only to find that wrench.  No one said a word.  Now it was a wrench and not a gun, but I couldn't help but laugh that people were being asked to dispose of water when I brought in a hunk of steel.  On a side note, I was able to adjust the gears on RV's bicycle at halftime.  GO MEAN GREEN and hurry

And greenjoe sat right behind me with that wrench in his pocket. You don't think I was worried just a little bit? LOL!

Next game greenjoe, I'll bring the screwdrivers!:)

what was your issue?

My issue was an incorrect amount of tickets being sent when I ordered over the internet. The ticket office stonewalled me when I pointed out their error to them, so I took the issue to RV. Instead of offering to clear up the problem, he sent the e-mail inferring that I had the wrong attitude about UNT athletics. (Sorry, RV, but I expect the ticket folks to know the difference between the numbers 2 and 4. If that makes me have an attitude problem, heaven knows what RV expects us to do when his ticket employees can't count.)

At RV's suggestion, I took the incorrect tickets to the "Will Call" trailer before the game and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Great communication and customer service. Everyone on the UNT seemed overly defensive about the whole situation. It was really quite simple: I ordered X amount of tickets, you sent me Y by mistake. What's the big deal? Just fix it.

Edited by Mean&Green

The family package is a damn good deal... 4 tickets to all home games and 4 hot dogs and 4 drinks at every home game for 140 bucks. With a deal this good, the stadium should be overflowing.

I was also not at the game on Saturday, and I can see both sides of the arguement.

you shouldn't be allowed to bring in bottled water from the outside.

but

the concessions should have ordered more water in the first place. That's just simple logic. "Hey, they're not going to let people bring water in this year...better order more."

You shouldn't be able to sit in seats that you didn't pay for.

but

you shouldn't have been allowed to sit there in the first place. There's no need to be a piehole about it if you have a security shirt on. That's stupid.

The University's perspective should be to listen to the fans, and remember those people that were talked into going to the game by friends, and now may not return. We need their attendence as much as anyone. Fringe supporters become solid supporters, etc.

The family package is a damn good deal... 4 tickets to all home games and 4 hot dogs and 4 drinks at every home game for 140 bucks.  With a deal this good, the stadium should be overflowing.

I did notice that there were a lot more families there this game... But then they said "no strollers". Un-fricking believeable. Then we asked - well do you have a place for us to leave them then? Answer -"we can't be responsible for that". Great Job RV. <_<

With everything going on I was pissed BEFORE the game started, and then it just got worse. To start with, the folks at the deck didn't seem to know which end was up. They let us in but didn't have any tickets out and the mailer had said something about the "bar" being able to take cash so we figured that was the reason. We go to the "bar" to get some water and the arse smarted off to my Dad and Wife because they didn't have tickets. We go BACK to the table and Dolly Dingbat couldn't figure out which tickets were for drinks and which were for food which shouldn't have mattered anyway because the food didn't arrive till 5:15 or so. Get to the seats and have tar all over the place. I have 8 seats, 4 of us were there the other 4 were on I-35 heading to the game. Had to practically sign over my life to get 1 cushion for the people that would soon be there. 3rd quarter go to get water and voila!! Concessions stands are out!! Who would have ever thought there might actually be people at a UNT game that would get thirsty!!! They sure like to beg for our money, but apparently return on investment (not talking about the football team) for us doesn't factor very highly for them. I decided Sat night I was going to write RV then just figured it was pointless. Ok enough ranting thanks for the vine.

Edited by CorinthEagle

With everything going on I was pissed BEFORE the game started, and then it just got worse.  To start with, the folks at the deck didn't seem to know which end was up.  They let us in but didn't have any tickets out and the mailer had said something about the "bar" being able to take cash so we figured that was the reason.  We go to the "bar" to get some water and the arse smarted off to my Dad and Wife because they didn't have tickets.  We go BACK to the table and Dolly Dingbat couldn't figure out which tickets were for drinks and which were for food which shouldn't have mattered anyway because the food didn't arrive till 5:15 or so.  Get to the seats and have tar all over the place.  I have 8 seats, 4 of us were there the other 4 were on I-35 heading to the game.  Had to practically sign over my life to get 1 cushion for the people that would soon be there.  3rd quarter go to get water and voila!!  Concessions stands are out!!  Who would have ever thought there might actually be people at a UNT game that would get thirsty!!!  They sure like to beg for our money, but apparently return on investment (not talking about the football team) for us doesn't factor very highly for them.  I decided Sat night I was going to write RV then just figured it was pointless.  Ok enough ranting thanks for the vine.

Corinth,

You should write to RV. But, don't be shocked if he shoots you the same b.s. he shot me, "I thought this type of attitude was gone." As if the UNT athletic department employees can be sloppy and rude simply because the football team went to the New Orleans Bowl a few times.

Try it, Corinth. Hopefully, RV is getting enough complaints to actually do something about poor customer service this year.

And to hope on this band wagon of buzz kills, I didn't get a massage at half time. And now one held by hand when I went potty. And they didn't give me free beer. And some of the other fans smelled bad. And I wasn't allowed to bring in my shoppong cart. And RV didn't personally greet me at the gate.

This thread is pathetic.

Shaft why don't you keep your smart-ass comments to yourself. You talk about everyone else's negativity but there you are tearing everyone down as if your the King Mean Green. You sat in the student side, these fans were on the alumni side, obviously buying ticket packages and they should be treated with some respect by the Athletics department and obviously they weren't. So where is your complaint?

mad.gif