At the Game

untgirl04

As a UNT alumna who has supported the Mean Green for the past three years, I am appalled at the conditions of tonight's game. Not only are water bottles outlawed now, students were not allowed to leave their seats - even to go to the bathroom. Although I had a ticket for tonight's game, I chose to sit with some friends as a student guest in the Student's section. So many students came out to support the team tonight - a positive to an otherwise disappointing night. It was so crowded that students were literally standing on top of each other. During the second quarter, a few of the students moved over to the bleachers to our right, where paying fans usually sit. Although the section was almost entirely empty, the students were told to leave the seats. Then, when I got up to get a drink, I was told that if I left the stands, I would not be allowed to return to my seat. If students can't even get water, or go to the bathroom at the game, how long do you think students will actually sit in the stands? Athletics needs to remember that we are playing in Texas, and it's really hot outside. Animals aren't allowed to be treated like that, so why is UNT treating its students in that manner?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I intend to write RV a letter first thing in the morning. I want to make sure that he understands the seriousness of the situation. In addition, I know of four others who are writing letters. Anyone else who would like to contribute, please feel free. As emmitt01 said so eloquently last week, we just don't have that big a fan base. Just when students are starting to come to the games, they go and make it miserable for them. If RV and UNT Athletics want to build a new stadium, they're going to have to fill Fouts first. If they can't get the students to return to the games, they'll never get it done.

I noticed the ushers were giving people grief of sorts on the Alumni side, very strict with the seats. Seemed like they did not want people to move around.

They made me throw away a full bottle of water also. Man that is asinine, lets give people more reasons not to come to the games.

What is this stuff about water bottles? You mean to say you bought a bottle of water at concessions, and they wouldn't allow you to take it to your seat? That doesn't make any sense. Was is something you brought from home, that wasn't purchased at concessions?

I also don't get the comments from UNTGirl04 about not being allowed to leave your seat. They wouldn't allow you to go pee, and go back to the original seat that you payed for (student guest seat or otherwise)? Seems there must be something else to this. Was the seat still not the one originally designated for you, or were you not able to actually produce evidence of having a ticket?

If these things really happened as you guys have presented, then we have a serious problem with the CSC events staff we've hired to work the games. But it sounds like something isn't right with your stories. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

What is this stuff about water bottles?  You mean to say you bought a bottle of water at concessions, and they wouldn't allow you to take it to your seat?  That doesn't make any sense.  Was is something you brought from home, that wasn't purchased at concessions?

I also don't get the comments from UNTGirl04 about not being allowed to leave your seat.  They wouldn't allow you to go pee, and go back to the original seat that you payed for (student guest seat or otherwise)?  Seems there must be something else to this.  Was the seat still not the one  originally designated for you, or were you not able to actually produce evidence of having a ticket?

If these things really happened as you guys have presented, then we have a serious problem with the CSC events staff we've hired to work the games.  But it sounds like something isn't right with your stories.  At least I'm hoping that's the case.

The problem is that I wasn't even allowed to leave the aisle-way to get to the concessions stand. When I headed up the bleachers to get a drink, the girl at the exit informed me that if I passed by her, I wouldn't be able to get back to my seat. Even when I showed her my ticket and told her where in the Student Section I was sitting (which was in the right place), she told me to go back and sit down. (Student seating is kind of a "find a spot and sit" seating arrangement. When you purchase a student guest ticket, or are a student, you just have to sit in your designated area. There are no specifically assigned seats.) There were several students who had left to go to the restroom, waiting on the other side of her. She wouldn't let any of them through, even though they were just trying to return to their spots.

Yes, some of the students weren't sitting where they should have been at first. However, once they were told to leave, they left - and there weren't any other problems. However, that is not a reason to deny students just trying to watch the game their opportunity to buy a drink or go to the bathroom.

No, they wouldn't let outside drinks in (which I 100% agree with) and they wouldn't let the student go BACK to sit in the bleachers because she did not have a ticket for that section; but rather a pass to sit in the student section-which **sorry** I agree with that 100% as well. North Texas fans are way too used to treating Fouts like their living room, coming and going as they please - sitting in any section they want - using student ID's for decades after graduation to get in free. The dept hired an outside firm to fix these problems, this was their test run. It was a shock to most people to see the game actually run like every other IA school in the country. Eventually they will get used to it. The student could go to the bathroom, but she would have had to go sit back in the student section because she was sitting in seats that are not free to sit in. If you want a drink, buy one in the game, they are $2.00. In order for us to stop playing UT and getting our asses tanned - we have to learn to make money at our home games. Granted, it was a shock to actually see these rules be enforced tonight and since it was the first time, the company probably did not realize that the majority of our fans are spoiled.... but still, we have to eventually start acting like a stadium with rules.... I would fix this problem (if I were RV) by expanding the student section to include some of the end zone seats for people that don't like "crowds".. but I think the whole point is to get everyone in a concentrated plce to generate a better atmosphere rather than have them speckled throughout the stadium.

Regarding the seating, there looked to be plenty of seats down towards where the 20 FAU fans were sitting. Wouldn't they let ya'll sit down there, or where they trying to herd all of the students in to about 3 sections? If there's not enough room in the "student seating" then move the band down to where the FAU folks were sitting and move the visiting fans to the endzones. We paid $60 to sit beyond UT's endzones, so I would think moving the visiting folks down there and charging them 8 would be acceptable.

No, they wouldn't let outside drinks in (which I 100% agree with) and they wouldn't let the student go BACK to sit in the bleachers because she did not have a ticket for that section; but rather a pass to sit in the student section-which **sorry** I agree with that 100% as well.  North Texas fans are way too used to treating Fouts like their living room, coming and going as they please - sitting in any section they want - using student ID's for decades after graduation to get in free.  The dept hired an outside firm to fix these problems, this was their test run.  It was a shock to most people to see the game actually run like every other IA school in the country.  Eventually they will get used to it.  The student could go to the bathroom, but she would have had to go sit back in the student section because she was sitting in seats that are not free to sit in.  If you want a drink, buy one in the game, they are $2.00.  In order for us to stop playing UT and getting our asses tanned - we have to learn to make money at our home games.  Granted, it was a shock to actually see these rules be enforced tonight and since it was the first time, the company probably did not realize that the majority of our fans are spoiled.... but still, we have to eventually start acting like a stadium with rules.... I would fix this problem (if I were RV) by expanding the student section to include some of the end zone seats for people that don't like "crowds".. but I think the whole point is to get everyone in a concentrated plce to generate a better atmosphere rather than have them speckled throughout the stadium.

To clarify: I was wanting to return to the student section because the alumni don't seem to have enough spirit. My ticket was for the exact section that I was supposed to be in, and the section that I was, in fact, sitting in. I was not trying to get into, nor out of a section that I did not pay for.

I do, however, agree that the student section should be expanded. I understand wanting to concentrate the groups for the most effective noise, but the students shouldn't be crammed together (in some cases two students standing on one seat) like a bunch of cattle. I have no problem buying a drink at the game, but I have to be allowed to go get it first.

If RV and UNT Athletics want to build a new stadium, they're going to have to fill Fouts first. If they can't get the students to return to the games, they'll never get it done.

I just don't get that philosophy and never have from others who have posted it.

I think you build new facilities within the Texas college football scene to keep up with the Joneses you are recruiting against each Winter and what a concept with this>>>>>>> for fan comfort and ease in viewing a football game.

Even tonight as my group sat in Lower Section E, I marveled with just how far our fans are from the action on the gridiron at Fouts Field--a very impersonal environment for fans to try to connect with their team and probably even vice-versa.

So its not just RV and UNT athletics who want the stadium. Many of us who have been sitting in our track and field stadium for a few decades have wanted a new football venue since some of you were born.

But still.......................we need a Big Donor who doesn't let 1 or 2 losses afffect his resolve in helping a school like UNT that is expected to grow to 43,000 in enrollment improve its facilities.

I was sitting in the student section in a legitamate student section (the section right next to the band) and went to the concessions for a drink. I came back and was told that I couldn't go back down to my seat. I said that I already had been sitting there and just went back down to the seat. I understand the whole thing of having paying people sit together and have students sit in certain sections since we don't pay for tickets. But to deny a student to go back to their seat (if they are sitting in the correct section like I was) after they legitamatly buy a drink at the concession stand, then there is something wrong with that.

In defense of my sis-in-law, the problem started when said outsourced security force didn't tell students that were filing into said "paid" seating that they weren't suppose to be there. Instead, they told students after the game started. If they don't want students sitting there to begin with, rope it off and have the "hired guns" patrol it like it's scarce natural resource or something. Until the students were told to leave, the section was actually packed.

Regarding the other issue, since students were forced from their seats, they just piled into the next section over. This lead to overcrowding. Because the section was too full, the "hired guns" weren't letting students back into the section, despite some having been there the entire half. So, rather then letting students already in the section after half the game was close to over get something to drink/eat, they were told not to leave or risk losing their seats. You tell me if you'd give up your seats, regardless if they were assigned to you or not, if you were told that if you left, you couldn't get back to your seats?

Having been there for the entire situation (in the section I was sitting in), it was something that could have been avoided with proper execution even before students started piling in. These security guys need to walk on egg shells, else they'll start a riot. It was already an emotional situation with the action from the game, they only fueled the fire with the stuff that went on in the stands.

Regarding "paid" seating on the student side. Nothing pi$$es the students off more then a ton of empty seats that are still somewhat close to the action and being told they can't sit there (and then see those seats remain empty for the entire game). Now, if people constantly bought tickets for the section in question, then the students wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but that really isn't the case. There are students that are making a concerted effort to make it the games, only to be told they can't sit somewhere because other people aren't doing their part and buying up those tickets.

I think you build new facilities within the Texas college football scene to keep up with the Joneses you are recruiting against each Winter and what a concept with this>>>>>>> for fan comfort and ease in viewing a football game. 

Even tonight as my group sat in Lower Section E, I marveled with just how far our fans are from the action on the gridiron at Fouts Field--a very impersonal environment for fans to try to connect with their team and probably even vice-versa.

While I agree with you completely that Fouts is an impersonal environment and we desperately need a new stadium, I still think that we need to fill Fouts. The reasoning is simple: how are we going to get a big donor to contribute for a new stadium if we can't prove that we need more room?

I believe that we are "keeping up with the Joneses" by building our fantastic Rec Center, and improving on academic buildings such as the new Chem building. The UNT master plan is amazing. Eventually, Fouts will need to go, but I think for the time being, UNT is doing a great job of getting all their ducks lined up to make their move as soon as we have the money. Besides, even if we do find someone generous enough to give us a new stadium, how can we afford to keep it open if there's no one there to enjoy it?

Agree completely with untgirl. We have one of the nicest college basketball facilities that I've ever been to, but only about 10% of this board shows up. Building a shiny new stadium isn't going to do squat if the fans aren't there. Getting Fouts to 25,000+ has to be the priority.

You know..I really think UNT should just give up on trying to make money off food inside football games, at least on the student side..why don't they offer students free food like they do at every other 1000 events unt hosts? If students were offered free food INSIDE the game I know a lot of more people would come in, rather than just sitting outside and getting drunk with their friends.

p.s. yes, the guy asking to see my student id every time I went to get food or use the bathroom got VERY ANNOYING.

You know, I don't think i'm all that annoyed that they dont' allow outside drinks into the game. It's that they didn't tell us that they were starting to do that. I mean, as I was standing in line to get into the game, I saw gallons upon gallons of water being thrown away. It just seems like a really big waste to me. If they're not going to let us bring water in, fine. But tell us before the game so that people aren't wasting money getting water before the game. $2.00 a bottle can be pretty steep when you're still just a student.

I walked ALONG way too get 3 bottled waters.... I then went to the entrance and they wouldn't let me in with them. So I walk another half mile and put the water in the car, then I walk back. Really fun.

I agree with UNTGIRL04... if they aren't going to let us bring water in let us know before time. But hey, now we know. <_<

Edited by ipEAGLE