What does he have to do?

BIG DAWG

I read something in the Denton Record-Chronicle that I found to be very disturbing. I read that Scott Hall was having to compete for his starting position when practice starts this fall. What does Hall have to do? Will he always be competing for the job? After having a season that few UNT QB's could compare to, can we not throw the guy a bone in his senior season and come out and name him the starter? Heck, to top it all off, Andrew Smith really hasn't shown much number wise, except for his record, which was built on defense and running the ball. You will be hard pressed to find a UNT QB who can rival Hall's season last year, and he didn't even start the whole season.

Scott should get the nod for the first 2 games. If we go 1-1 or better it will be his job to lose. If he messes up against FAU then Andrew will get the call. Dickey does not mess around. He will play the best personel and if that is Andrew so be it.

Is Andrew Smith ever the best option? What has he ever really done number wise? I know that he has that great winning percentage, but his numbers are horrible. All he had was a great defense, a great running game, and horrible passing stats

• Upvote 1

I still wish we would go to the single wing to utilize our RB depth and get rid of the QB position altogether so I don't have to read anymore threads like this.

It is not just a QB postion thing. Every positions is up for grabs. It is called competition and it makes you better.

Exactly mhow, two very succesful coaches in this part of the country make it well known that every position can and will be upgraded. Bill Parcells and Bob Stoops. That's the only way to go, earn a job by effort, not by default.

Smith is nothing special, I still remember watching the NO Bowl live in 2002 and just watching Smith running and told my wife watch where the pass goes and boom he hit his man to bad it was right in the numbers of a Cincy CB, we were just lucky that one of their guys got called for push to the back 15 yards behind the TD run or else we might have been 0-3 in the Big Easy.

Hopefully the competition will be fair and even if it is Byerly DD better play the best man, forget this seniority s**t!! mad.gif

Guest JohnDenver

Nothing in life is fair.

I know a bunch of people on this board that think Smith got an unfair shake lastyear. Starting against *all* the good teams and sitting against the bad teams. Also, DD doesn't win OOC games and Cobbs was hurt in two of them.

With that, Smith didn't get a "fair" chance and competition.

I like both QB's, and they both have strenghts and weaknesses. However, Hall's season last year was far from spectacular. He had some really good looking touchdown passes. SOME of them were simply balls he flung downfield that Johnny Quinn went after with some amazing catches. He did throw a strike to Cobbs in the endzone in one game, that was sweet.

I still can't help but think what might have been in the New Orleans Bowl had Scott hit Andy Blount streaking down the middle of the field behind the entire defense. Momentum was crucial at that early stage of the game.

I like both QB's, and they both have strenghts and weaknesses.  However, Hall's season last year was far from spectacular.  He had some really good looking touchdown passes.  SOME of them were simply balls he flung downfield that Johnny Quinn went after with some amazing catches.  He did throw a strike to Cobbs in the endzone in one game, that was sweet.

I still can't help but think what might have been in the New Orleans Bowl had Scott hit Andy Blount streaking down the middle of the field behind the entire defense.  Momentum was crucial at that early stage of the game.

I agree. It's difficult to really get excited about either one of them, I sometimes think. They are both at times inconsistent. I don't know. It's hard to predict which is the better player, without being "on the inside". Hall is good at times, but so is Smith. Hall is bad at times, but so is Smith. I guess we'll have to trust in Flannigan and Dickey and go with the best guy for the job - but neither really excites me too much (which could be a byproduct of the system).

Guest e-bone

Heck, to top it all off, Andrew Smith really hasn't shown much number wise, except for his record, which was built on defense and running the ball.

You are so right. Andrew did nothing at all for the Mean Green, it was all the defense and Kevin Galbreath. While Scott Hall had to do it all himself! I mean, that Patrick Cobbs was a chump last season, he didn't help Scott Hall at all. What did he do? Lead the nation in rushing? What a scrub!

I almost forgot that no skill wannabe named Johnny Quinn. If it wasn't for Scott making pin point passes every time, Quinn wouldn't have caught a ball all season! It's not like Scott ever threw lob passes up for grabs and was rescued by Quinn making spectacular catches. And it's not like Andrew made amazing downfield throws two seasons ago only to have a reciever drop the ball while no defender was within 10 yards of him.

I just don't know why Andrew hasn't been cut yet. He obviously has no skills and is nothing compared to Jesu.... ahh... I mean Scott Hall.

BTW, I'm being sarcastic.

Edited by e-bone

Season Stats: not counting the NO Bowl game

Scott Hall 225 plays, 72 yds rushing, 1580 yds passing, Total yards 1652 yds, av 137.7 yd

Andrew Smith: 53 plays -23 yds rushing, 187 yds passing, 164 yds total, av 23.4 yds

Passing stats:

Scott Hall Efficiency 159.77 , 165 attemps 98 completions 5 interceptions completed 59.4 %

Andrew Smith: Efficiency 68.59, 35 attemps, 13 completions 4 interceptions completed 27.1 %

One stat that is not in the NO bowl media guide is the number of fumbles Scott and Andrew made.

Guest e-bone

Season Stats:  not counting the NO Bowl game

Scott Hall 225 plays, 72 yds rushing, 1580 yds passing, Total yards 1652 yds, av 137.7 yd

Andrew Smith:  53 plays -23 yds rushing, 187 yds passing, 164 yds total, av 23.4 yds

Passing stats:

Scott Hall Efficiency 159.77 , 165 attemps 98 completions 5 interceptions completed 59.4 %

Andrew Smith:  Efficiency 68.59,  35 attemps, 13 completions 4 interceptions completed 27.1 %

One stat that is not in the NO bowl media guide is the number of fumbles Scott and Andrew made.

And if they had played against opponents that were remotely as good as each other, those numbers would mean something.

i don't think we should have a qb... having a qb out there means that there is one less blocker for the emerald express.

SO I VOTE NIETHER HALL OR SMITH!!

GO EMERALD EXPRESS... COBBS FOR HIESMAN, And president, and czar.

Edited by Travis

You guys got too much time on your hands!!!

All I care about is a Mean Green WIN Period.

This is a TEAM sport. DD & staff will put the best player in the position

he can succeed.

I am looking forward to the guys getting with it and hopefully this year the mistakes will be few against Texas. If so and the Mean Green can capitalize on their mistakes.

A big win for the program.

GMG

I do not think Ieans id the answer at all.  They were trying him at receiver last year during the spring.  We will see I guess

I know...I just made the decision a few months ago to say "Jonathan Ieans is the answer" whenever these stupid Hall vs. Smith threads start.