Dickey to A & M

DeepGreen

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I  find it refreshing that his offensive philosophies are still held in such high esteem.

You do know that his recent offensive philosophy is night-and-day difference to what it was when he was at UNT, right?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don’t normally play the “what if” game but, boy howdy, I wonder how things would have transpired in Denton if we afforded him the resources he deserved.

It’s a fair question. He was quite the conundrum—could develop kids into tough players if the talent was there, but if it wasn’t, then he couldn’t get anything done. I think he knew he never had a QB he trusted to throw it a lot, even Scott Hall, who was his best QB. He just didn’t take chances with the offense, plain and simple. With apogee and this administration and especially this AD, he could have been our version of USM’s Jeff Bower. But he couldn’t get the administration to even try to update the stadium situation, the AD just kept his head down and did whatever to stay in budget and get an extension, and the fans/media just didn’t care about the SBC back then at all. Dickey should’ve gotten a head coaching job somewhere else with the success he rolled out from 2001-2004, but he could not even get a bit of interest.

I still think we beat him down to the point of him just not giving in a rip in the last two years here. That Black Hutch Jersey debacle was so high school, it wasn’t even funny—pure embarrassment. I’d rather be called an MFer every day than see my alma mater, the Mean Green, roll out in a uniform that a YMCA team wouldn’t want to wear.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

That Black Hutch Jersey debacle was so high school, it wasn’t even funny—pure embarrassment.

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times.  I don’t remember this, or the MF’er quote.  Could you help jog my memory?

Side note:  I ran into his mom in New Orleans...Didn’t know it was her, but I had been drinking and asked her if she was for UNT or Memphis?  Her response was, “Well, my sons the coach for UNT so I’d better root for them.”  We took a pic and went our separate ways. Sweet lady. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You do know that his recent offensive philosophy is night-and-day difference to what it was when he was at UNT, right?

That might suggest Dickey was able to adjust his offensive scheme to the skills and abilities of his players, rather than insisting the players fit - like round pegs into square holes - into his preferred offense.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good for him.  In hindsight, we probably let him go to soon but that is in the past now.  He’s a great coach and good to see him getting recognition.

I also wonder what would have happened if he actually had an AD that was like we have now??

• Lovely Take 3

I was a DD fan then.  He could coach then and he can coach now.  The AD and all the short sighted leadership at the University at that time are just as responsible for the Dickey's failed last season and the miserable seasons that followed.  Happy for him wish it would it have worked out for him here.  It will be particularly disappointing if he has a part in Texas A&M winning the SEC Championship cause that is the Texas region football fandom I dislike the most. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

People always want to remember him by his darker moments (hint: we all have them)...

But they seem to forget, the man could recruit without a pot to pi$$ in terms of facilities and asst salaries...

He could also coach and win.  Troy and Arkie State have scored 3 consecutive Sun Belt conf championships but neither have one been able to get to 4.  It's possible that no one will again:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sun_Belt_Conference_football_champions

Dickey was almost like Moore in that he learned to adapt to his talent, but Dickey hit it with 2 classes here to win in the Sunbelt.

I doubt he will call the Aggie boosters mfer"s and after the success was trying to get out of here. The black jerseys was bush, but I wish him well.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, GTWT said:

That might suggest Dickey was able to adjust his offensive scheme to the skills and abilities of his players, rather than insisting the players fit - like round pegs into square holes - into his preferred offense.

Not really.  Dickey came to UNT with a run-first philosophy different from his predecessor, and not very successful initially until he recruited the type of players that fit his system.  At least since he was at Texas State with Franchione, he's been running a pass-happy spread offense, and I imagine he'll be running that until he retires.  Unless the HC tells him otherwise.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Good for him.  In hindsight, we probably let him go to soon but that is in the past now.  He’s a great coach and good to see him getting recognition.

In all likelihood, he never would have developed the offensive system he has now if he would have remained HC at UNT.  I am glad for his success, and wish him all the best. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

DD seems to have conquered his personal demons and became an excellent assistant coach.   I do think that he ruined his own career at NT and he should have been fired.  

Do you think he has 09/12/2020 circled on his calendar, with a note ("MFers") below?  Question, no info. 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not really.  Dickey came to UNT with a run-first philosophy different from his predecessor, and not very successful initially until he recruited the type of players that fit his system.  At least since he was at Texas State with Franchione, he's been running a pass-happy spread offense, and I imagine he'll be running that until he retires.  Unless the HC tells him otherwise.

Not very successfully at first because he needed time to recruit players that could win in Div I?  Remember UNT's last winning season before hiring Dickey had been 5 years before.  No scheme wins without players.  Since then Dickey has shown he can be successful running very different offenses.  That's the mark of a good offensive coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Felozano said:

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times.  I don’t remember this, or the MF’er quote.  Could you help jog my memory?

Side note:  I ran into his mom in New Orleans...Didn’t know it was her, but I had been drinking and asked her if she was for UNT or Memphis?  Her response was, “Well, my sons the coach for UNT so I’d better root for them.”  We took a pic and went our separate ways. Sweet lady. 

The m’fr was before my time but the black jersey situation happened in 2006. Our athletic director thought it would be a good idea to fire a coach midway through the season and allow him to coach out the remaining games. What could go wrong, righ? Well for the last home game the players came out and warmed up in their regular dark green jerseys and pants. When it came time for kickoff, they all came back out in what looked like junior high jerseys bought at academy. The jerseys we just plain black with white numbers. They didn’t indicate the conference or school name anywhere. That and the 7-O.T. game were all I could stomach of Darrell Dickey.

unt-mean-green-black-jersey.jpg

Somewhere exists a picture of Darrell Dickey in his all black “coaching funeral attire” garb. 

Thanks to @rcade for still having the photo available. http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3069/fired-north-texas-coach-black-mood

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1