Orlando Sentinel Preseason Rankings: #46 North Texas

MGNation92

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I certainly would not call it a weakness with three returning starters.  Hall should be a solid starter at one corner - the key is so we see sophomore season Brooks or junior Brooks. Sophomore Brooks was a baller. Let’s hope we get him. 

One safety position is in good hands with Khari, and there is a strong competition at the other, which is always good. 

• Upvote 1

Two years ago--TWO YEARS AGO---we were generally rated anywhere from 126 to 128 (out of 128).

The biggest improvement you make is going from being awful to average. We have obviously done that. The hard part is making your way to being great from just being good, so that challenge lies in front of SL and Company. If we get 9 wins again this year, the opportunities in front of us will be unlike anything we have seen around here in the last 40 years. Even if SL leaves, the chances of keeping the momentum going will be there if we can hire from within--looking at you, Graham Harrell...

As I have said, enjoy the ride--as UNT fans, we don't have many times like this to look back on with great fondness. This is just amazing!!

• Lovely Take 4

I don't mean to be a downer, but someone please explain to me how a defense that basically sucked last year has improved so much this year.According to Texas Football, we were ranked 107th in allowing opponents to convert on 3rd downs,gave up 41 plays for over 30 yards[6th worse in nation],and ranked 120th against the pass.In addition, we gave up an average of 49 points in our 5 losses. We also lost 5 starters off last years defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

I just think people believe we are going to outscore them. We also have that mojo factor with a stud qb - that gives people a belief that we will pull some rabbits out of the hat and end up on the winning side of things. 

GMG

• Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I certainly would not call it a weakness with three returning starters.  Hall should be a solid starter at one corner - the key is so we see sophomore season Brooks or junior Brooks. Sophomore Brooks was a baller. Let’s hope we get him. 

One safety position is in good hands with Khari, and there is a strong competition at the other, which is always good. 

Wouldn’t count out Siggers and Davis starting at safety over 4 and 27, which would be a major upgrade athletically.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

I don't mean to be a downer, but someone please explain to me how a defense that basically sucked last year has improved so much this year.According to Texas Football, we were ranked 107th in allowing opponents to convert on 3rd downs,gave up 41 plays for over 30 yards[6th worse in nation],and ranked 120th against the pass.In addition, we gave up an average of 49 points in our 5 losses. We also lost 5 starters off last years defense.

Because it really only has to improve slightly and if our offense stays the same we're probably a nine team win again. Having an offense ranked #13 gives you a lot of leeway. And that defensive ranking isn't as bad if you take out a few games. They weren't awful every game. 

Let's look at the losses. Is SMU better this year? No.  Is Arkansas better than Iowa? No. Are the teams that we beat in close wins last year significantly better? No.

Don't ask me about FAU. I'm not sure we have an answer for that team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, meanrob said:

Because it really only has to improve slightly and if our offense stays the same we're probably a nine team win again. Having an offense ranked #13 gives you a lot of leeway. And that defensive ranking isn't as bad if you take out a few games. They weren't awful every game. 

Let's look at the losses. Is SMU better this year? No.  Is Arkansas better than Iowa? No. Are the teams that we beat in close wins last year significantly better? No.

Don't ask me about FAU. I'm not sure we have an answer for that team. 

I think it must improve more than "slightly". We were stomped by 4 teams in 5 games,and won 5 games by a total of only 17 points.SMU has Ben Hicks back, and Arkansas has the coach that lit us up last year.The question to me is has our defense improved significantly, not slightly, and I just don't see it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, wardly said:

I think it must improve more than "slightly". We were stomped by 4 teams in 5 games,and won 5 games by a total of only 17 points.SMU has Ben Hicks back, and Arkansas has the coach that lit us up last year.The question to me is has our defense improved significantly, not slightly, and I just don't see it.

Guess it depends on what you're expecting out of this team. I don't think all the pieces are there for a ten-win team that gets top 25 votes but another nine win season is doable. If we're on the positive side of the turnover margin, that's a huge plus. I think 2018 can be a fun, exciting season that keeps the ball rolling and if we can keep the band together, the sky is the limit for 2019. Either way, I'll give the defense and coaching staff a little benefit of the doubt that they can improve. 

Being down 17-14 to a Big Ten team on the road into the fourth quarter doesn't qualify as a stomp to me. And I'm not sure how Chad Morris going to UA is a positive for UA yet SMU losing him isn't a negative for SMU. It's a small sample size but Dykes doesn't impress me. Troy and FAU were/are bad matchups but I don't see any other teams besides FAU in our conference with that mixture of skill and beef. 

I say another 9-3 year with a win over SMU. We lose one or two we think we could've won and don't get all the late game breaks to go our way this year. After fifteen years of mostly bad UNT football, 9-3 would make me ecstatic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Our defense should have some continuity with the staff as well. This will be year 2 of running this Reffett only defense. I have to think that will help. Plus, the offense was great last year...but if we turn a few field goals into TDs this year (and not have to depend on our kicker so much) this will help take some pressure off the D....hence the "slight" improvement needed to get 9-10 wins again this year.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, wardly said:

When you lose 5 games by an average of 49 points and win 5 games by an average of only 3 points I think you have more than minor problems on defense. Hope I am wrong.

Check that math. We GAVE UP an average of 49 points in those losses, not lost by. 

And for the record, I could cherry pick five OU games where they gave up an average of 44 points a game. 

Our defense needs to get better but not necessarily light years better. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

Check that math. We GAVE UP an average of 49 points in those losses, not lost by. 

And for the record, I could cherry pick five OU games where they gave up an average of 44 points a game. 

Our defense needs to get better but not necessarily light years better. 

My error. We lost those games by an average of 23+ points per game. We also lost 5 starters off that defense plus about the best field goal kicker we have ever had. I'm thinking light years, and I hope I am wrong. I certainly didn't see 9 wins coming last year.

• Thanks 1