Racist regents 'scapegoated' black football players in Baylor rape scandal, former AD says

Cerebus

DaMN: Racist regents 'scapegoated' black football players in Baylor rape scandal, former AD says

A former athletic director at Baylor University said the school's regents cast black football players and the football program as the scapegoats in a university-wide rape scandal that spanned decades, according to a motion filed Wednesday in federal court.

---

"It's shocking to hear a former athletic director acknowledge that Baylor scapegoated African-American football players in an effort to cover-up broader issues beyond the control of any single player," Wilson said. "Players sacrificed immensely for Baylor University, and the university failed them. We are optimistic that the courts will require the university to provide full disclosure of all of its actions in this regard."

---

During McCaw's deposition, he said the attorneys for Pepper Hamilton, the firm that conducted the internal inquiry told him there would be three possible results. The report would either be a "detailed document," a "summary report," or the firm could "whitewash the whole thing."

In the end, McCaw testified, a trip by several regents and Baylor general counsel Chris Holmes to Pepper Hamilton's office in a Pennsylvania office led to the decision that regent J. Cary Gray would issue a "false" and "misleading finding of fact skewed to make the football program look bad and cover up the campus-wide failings."

...and boom goes the dynamite.  

Missed this the first go around:

According to the court filing, McCaw also said the school's former police chief, Jim Doak, ignored rape reports and discouraged reporting sexual assaults. The former AD tells about one recording that "reveals a police dispatcher putting a young woman reporting her rape on hold to order himself a meal," the motion says.

Like I said earlier, if I were a parent of a recruit I would never ever let them attend Baylor.  Heck, I wouldn't spend my mkney to allow my child to attend one class there.  That program should be shut down, the Regents gutted and anyone associated with this mess fired and/or arrested.  As a Christian, it is shameful that Baylor and SMU have done what they have nkw and in the past.  Truly disgusting.

• Upvote 4

It is not just the current issues, Baylor has more scandals than any modern program.   Yet, they continue to recruit well in all sports, most surprising even in women teams.    

'The NCAA should apologize to SMU for the death penalty.   Baylor's problems are much greater than just paying players and trying to get a competitive advantage. 

I don't understand the comments relative to scapegoating anybody.   You are either guilty or not guilty, it has nothing to do with anything else.   

• Upvote 1

For all the soul selling and disgraceful things that Baylor did....all it got them was an RG3, McLane Stadium and a couple of years of compelling football. The NCAA as a rugulatory organization is an absolute joke. They are brazenly soft on P5 schools and use G5 schools as props when they need to make an example of a program. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

For all the soul selling and disgraceful things that Baylor did....all it got them was an RG3, McLane Stadium and a couple of years of compelling football. The NCAA as a rugulatory organization is an absolute joke. They are brazenly soft on P5 schools and use G5 schools as props when they need to make an example of a program. 

Anyone below the super conference level would be hammered by the NCAA.  Every new rule that comes out  of the NCAA is to favor the big boys.  They are slowly killing college football.  Remember the day when playing field was level and the upsets that happened.  Those are becoming fewer and fewer.  College football is a lot better when the playing field is level for all.  

The new redshirt rule- Lets take UTSA Davenport for an example.  He has a great freshmen and sophomore year, one or more of the power conferences notice him. What if a player on the power conference made a call to Davenport and said" hey, you are good you should play here".  The wheel starts turning and the lower division schools become a farm league for the power conferences.  I know there is a rule about coaching talking to players but a coach can always put his player up to it.

I am sure the good players will drop down to the non power conferences for playing time so they can show their skill to the NFL scouts. Maybe it will be a wash but something tells me the power conferences will win the battle.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Hypocrisy and racism at a school promoting its Christian values?  Shocked I tell you. 

Almost a metaphor for the entire Catholic priest mess.

if we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it.

Any schools that are allowed to hide behind secrecy, like the private schools, have too many options to cover things like this up.  I hope they implode in a ball of fire. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

The NCAA has the perfect piñata to beat the hell out of in Baylor. They are a pissant P5 school, that will not be in a P4 league in the years ahead when the Big XII and Pac 12 eventually merge and other pieces find homes. 

Yet the NCAA doesn't seem to look at this as their chance to pound them. This is worse than SMU--by a large margin. They aren't Penn State, whose problems were worse, yet they are a bigtime program with a huge enrollment in a big state. This is a freaking small, Baptist school that doesn't even register on the national front--even when Baylor was really good, their ratings were terrible for their games, unless they were playing UT or OU.

Baylor sold their souls for the $$$ that athletic success brings. They deserve everything that the law can throw at them.

• Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

It's also worth noting that Ian McCaw is about as lowlife as a human being can be. I don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth. Baylor did a lot of bad things, but I'm not using Ian as my source.

Educate me.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Moderators, can't you move this to the Eagles Nest?  Nothing to do with UNT Football.

1) Ian McCaw is the AD of Liberty, a school we have a home and home series with.

2) Every once in a while I hear voices saying we should "cut corners" or "play like the big boys" when it comes to recruiting, enforcing rules, etc.  F that.  This is where that leads you.  I wouldn't trade any level of athletic success if it meant having to stain the reputation of North Texas.  

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

1) Ian McCaw is the AD of Liberty, a school we have a home and home series with.

2) Every once in a while I hear voices saying we should "cut corners" or "play like the big boys" when it comes to recruiting, enforcing rules, etc.  F that.  This is where that leads you.  I wouldn't trade any level of athletic success if it meant having to stain the reputation of North Texas.  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 4

45 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Oh, good grief!  If I was worried about UNT staining the reputation of our fine University and athletic program through looking away from recruiting violations in Denton, I wouldn't have suggested moving the thread.  Fact is, to my knowledge, we have never even come close to sniffing a violation.  Other than a possible Bret Vito, Athletic Center parking violation!

Remove those down votes.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 8

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Sad truth is many would sell their soul to be a hair away from a playoff spot like Baylor was.  Has their recruiting suffered?  Sure, to an extent - however they are still recruiting at a very high level off of the fact that a). they are in the Big 12 a p5 conference and b). had a ton of success during the Briles era (like top 5 in country etc).

The Baylor alums I know - and there are many good ones I know who are family and friends - have sort of segmented this away from the rest of the university.  It's a dark chapter but it did not pertain to the University as a whole.  That is why these revelations from McCaw are so insidious.  He insinuates that this segmentation was by design from the highest levels of leadership including the BOR.

And all this from a school  that was only given entry to the Big 12 due to the political influence of alumnus and then governor Ann Richards.  They couldn't have entered the conference on their merits.

You can't dispute what they were able to accomplish from that winning era though.  Look at their newly built stadium, the Heisman trophy winner, the national recognition, the increases in season tickets and donations... believe me that Baylor is still the beneficiary of this and will be for many years to come.  Just like Penn State, the transgressions will be paid off and swept under the rug. That good ole Baylor line will carry on.

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sad truth is many would sell their soul to be a hair away from a playoff spot like Baylor was.  Has their recruiting suffered?  Sure, to an extent - however they are still recruiting at a very high level off of the fact that a). they are in the Big 12 a p5 conference and b). had a ton of success during the Briles era (like top 5 in country etc).

The Baylor alums I know - and there are many good ones I know who are family and friends - have sort of segmented this away from the rest of the university.  It's a dark chapter but it did not pertain to the University as a whole.  That is why these revelations from McCaw are so insidious.  He insinuates that this segmentation was by design from the highest levels of leadership including the BOR.

And all this from a school  that was only given entry to the Big 12 due to the political influence of alumnus and then governor Ann Richards.  They couldn't have entered the conference on their merits.

You can't dispute what they were able to accomplish from that winning era though.  Look at their newly built stadium, the Heisman trophy winner, the national recognition, the increases in season tickets and donations... believe me that Baylor is still the beneficiary of this and will be for many years to come.  Just like Penn State, the transgressions will be paid off and swept under the rug. That good ole Baylor line will carry on.

I can't deny what Baylor has accomplished in athletics, but they should be universally condemned for the way they did it.   The NCAA, Big 12, Baylor alums and fans should all be deeply ashamed of Baylor's athletic program. 

• Lovely Take 2