Watching Party Location Change? (Collin County)

UNT 90 Grad

I'm thinking about moving the Collin County UNT Football Watching Parties to Killarney's Live - Irish Pub instead of continuing at Fuzzy's Tacos in Allen.  Killarney's is located in Fairview Town Center.  This is the former location of Fairview Down Under, where we used to host watching parties several years back.  I'd like to get your thoughts on this location change.  I spoke with the owner of Kilalrney's and he was very open to the idea.  He said when he took over the location, he remembered the North Texas signage (put up by the beer vendors) that had been taken down.  One down side is that they currently no longer have a projector, but would still put the game on the large TVs around the bar/restaurant and run the audio throughout.  This place is known for its live music, but they said they'd tell the bands that they'd have to wait to start until after the games end.  They also said if we had a late bowl game (i.e. 7pm or later), they'd be willing to not have a band play that night.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/KillarneysLive/

gallery_3776_75_876603.jpg

gallery_3776_75_377759.jpg

28056564_228365021043974_52883504602631727972993_228365007710642_37877483805730027867002_228364991043977_77765294891436627972637_228364974377312_217230810408482

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
Replaced party pics with higher resolution versions of same images.
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

29 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Wherever you choose, make sure you can hook the TV up to a computer since most of the games are online. 

Yup.  I asked that question as well.  I need to get together with their tech guy, but they said the have the same setup from Fairview Down Under, minus the projector. (And we streamed games there before.)

• Upvote 1

Yes! Please move it...

Sitting in Fuzzy's for 3 hours always feels a bit odd.  The staff never seemed very welcoming and it isn't really a comfortable place to hang out. Also pretty sure Fuzzy's was charging $5 for most of their domestic pints.  Bars generally have better draft pricing on domestics.

Not sure how their distributed A/V setup works at the pub, but it might be as simple as getting a Chromecast and bringing a phone or tablet as the designated streaming to Chromecast device.  Happy to provide 2 cents worth of A/V advice if you find out more info about their setup. As long as they have WiFi and can distribute a single HD source you probably will be good to go with a cheap streaming stick.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I make only one or two of these a year.  And hopefully I will be at one or two of these road games in person.  But for my two cents I think a move would be fine.  Fuzzy's isn't that great.   Even if you don't settle on this place there should be better options than Fuzzy's.  This menu is certainly an upgrade.  However I am concerned about the live music conflict.  I would not want you to get caught up in a tug-of-war if a special band wanted to do a set that conflicted with a game.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't have a vote in this, as I can never attend, but IMO this is a no-brainer.

I love Fuzzy's, but I don't know how a taco joint that happens to have TVs held up for so long when you have so many sports pubs in the area.

Yeah, the trick has always been finding one in this area that’ll let us pipe the audio throughout, has good Internet connectivity, and a setup conducive to streaming some games through a PC to the TVs. 

• Lovely Take 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I and the restaurant staff did the A/V test tonight to make sure we could stream games into Killarney’s to the TVs and the restaurant audio system.   SUCCESS!   Killarney’s Irish Pub will be the new UNT Football Watching Party spot for the Collin County area the forseeable future.  I think this location will be great with plenty of room for growth.  They now have a billiard and darts room with a big screen TV as well.

Thanks for putting this together.  Killarney’s is an easier sell to the wife. Hope to see you guys soon! GMG!

• Upvote 2

My understanding is that East Side or Oak Street hosts watching parties in Denton periodically as well.  We still get a handful of folks that make the drive from Denton to Allen/Fairview too, usually for the broader food offerings.   Just depends on the experience you are looking for. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MattyV said:

Are there watching parties in Denton?
I wonder why we don't have one at Rudy's in Denton.
Or II Charlies in Denton. 

There is always one at Eastside across all the TVs. Having it on the rooftop patio projector at II Charlie's would be cool, though, for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ntsumgspe said:

Todd, thanks for taking the time to find us a new home for our watching parties. I never had a problem with Fuzzy's, but a new locale will be nice to give a try.

"I Like Tacos"...

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Thanks!   I picked up the half time door prizes yesterday for the year.  We have some new things, not available in stores.  (example:  NT Alumni garden flags.).  Also picked up a thick stack of the new schedule posters for the watching parties.  I’m told at least one of the Killarney’s bar tenders is an alum.   It’ll be a good partnership.   All set for the Arkansas game.  

PS - Note on the menu pic above that Killarney’s does have multiple taco offerings.   😀

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m gonna like working with the Killarney’s folks.   Texted the owner today about hanging some of the schedule posters in the restaurant.  Not only did he say yes, but he also said he’s reached out to their beer guys about having some North Texas signage done up.  

If you live in the area, please give this place some business and let them know your looking forward to the watching parties.  ...and of course, join us at Killarney’s for the game against Arkansas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 2

By the way, Killarney's is in the same shopping center building as the Fairview Rally House Texas location.  I met with the store manager yesterday on doing some cross promoting.  They are working on a deal such that watching party attendees will receive special discount coupons at Rally House for UNT gear (in the range of 20% off).  I'm also working with them on possible items for door prizes.  More to come.  The store manager is also wanting to use this as justification to the corporate folks to up their inventory on UNT products.

large_RH.jpg.2fe12f5395cfe42865f42ccddcd

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2