Recruiting Update

Having closely followed recruiting for the last 15 years I honestly had grown more and more disinterested every year. We continued to pull in classes that ranked near the bottom of all teams in the country. What has happened thus far in recruiting for 2019 is truly exciting. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

image.png.a8cd5dca00726550dfa0e6c73137a34f.png

I'm just going to leave this here for y'alls consideration. 

They only ended up 1 higher than us last year as well.

Seems like that Wilson shine is starting wear off after pulling in all these players and not winning with them

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

image.png.a8cd5dca00726550dfa0e6c73137a34f.png

I'm just going to leave this here for y'alls consideration. 

Only so many Converse Judson players they can get.   Especially when we're also taking them.   McCormick committed to them after we got Garrison to jump on board.  Anyone want to trade?

Now what Rice is doing is very impressive.   Again, is that "star-inflation"?  Or is Bloomgren really turning recruiting around there this quickly?

• Lovely Take 1

I'm very pleased with this year's efforts in recruiting. This is how you build for the long term. As things stand now, in addition to the top class in C-USA, our haul is also better then any current class in the Sun Belt, and all but Boise State in the MWC. Much better then what we have historically seen in Denton.

Compared to the rest of the G5s, we would sit right in the middle of the AAC, and fifth in the MAC. (Yeah, that surprised me too)

Compared to the other Texas programs (247Sports)

1. Texas A&M (2)

2. Texas (13)

3.TCU (24)

4. Texas Tech (36)

5. SMU (39)

6. Baylor (41)

7 Houston (65)

8. North Texas (67)

9. Texas State (80)

10. UTSA (82)

11. Rice (83)

12. UTEP (No Recruits)

• Thanks 1

I may be off base as far as recruiting and may not know what I am talking about, but I think some of the changes in Denton have helped with this. I agree that the winning and the recruiting department changes are the biggest reason for the turn around, but I think some of the changes made in Denton helps. When I was growing up in Denton there really was nothing here. The square, Hickory and Oak Streets were nothing but pawn shops, feed stores, and other small town stuff like Wolfs grocery, etc. If you were a college student who visited Denton and considered UNT, I am sure that went into some decisions. I mean if you do not have a car, it was difficult to get to Dallas and Fort Worth to enjoy some nightlife. We all had to hang in close proximity to UNT to have any fun and being on campus all the time was boring. Now these kids come here and there is a nightlife for them, there is a transit system to get around if you have no vehicle, and DCTA can get you to all parts of Dallas. I spoke to a bus driver for Wynne Transportation that told me he has driven a lot of recruits and family members for UNT visits and they always take them to the square to show the changes that Denton has made. Again I may be off base, but I do think it helps.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Is there a good reason why we're getting all of these commitments in such a short period of time?  Is there something in the NCAA recruiting schedule that would lead to this?  Is this some kind of snow ball effect that one signing is leading to another?   Is all of this simple coincidence? 

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'll never not be amazed by what LaTech does.  There has to be something in the Ruston water, because - last I checked - it wasn't much of a looker.

I agree. I went to the Popeyes chicken in Ruston as I was passing through and it wasn't too far from the university and I thought OMG does this town suck. LOL

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'll never not be amazed by what LaTech does.  There has to be something in the Ruston water, because - last I checked - it wasn't much of a looker.

3 hours ago, Venson said:

I agree. I went to the Popeyes chicken in Ruston as I was passing through and it wasn't too far from the university and I though OMG does this town suck. LOL

Agreed. Place is an aboslute dump. 

But, they love their sports over there. 

5 hours ago, Venson said:

I may be off base as far as recruiting and may not know what I am talking about, but I think some of the changes in Denton have helped with this. I agree that the winning and the recruiting department changes are the biggest reason for the turn around, but I think some of the changes made in Denton helps. When I was growing up in Denton there really was nothing here. The square, Hickory and Oak Streets were nothing but pawn shops, feed stores, and other small town stuff like Wolfs grocery, etc. If you were a college student who visited Denton and considered UNT, I am sure that went into some decisions. I mean if you do not have a car, it was difficult to get to Dallas and Fort Worth to enjoy some nightlife. We all had to hang in close proximity to UNT to have any fun and being on campus all the time was boring. Now these kids come here and there is a nightlife for them, there is a transit system to get around if you have no vehicle, and DCTA can get you to all parts of Dallas. I spoke to a bus driver for Wynne Transportation that told me he has driven a lot of recruits and family members for UNT visits and they always take them to the square to show the changes that Denton has made. Again I may be off base, but I do think it helps.

Agree. Even the new Embassy Suites. It's a vast improvement over any other hotels and has to make an impression on recruits.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Is there a good reason why we're getting all of these commitments in such a short period of time?  Is there something in the NCAA recruiting schedule that would lead to this?  Is this some kind of snow ball effect that one signing is leading to another?   Is all of this simple coincidence? 

I believe there is a dead period approaching, so these guys want to commit beforehand.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Venson said:

I think it just may be the first time in forever that UNT actually put all the components together at the same time: winning (check), a good stadium (check), a good student city (check), a board/President that really provides the necessary recources for the AD to work with (check), an AD that for the most part knows what to do with those and finds way to have that influence recruiting (check).

If you don't have the perception from the at large football community, then you need all of these concurrently to really turn recruiting around, and this may be the first time UNT-Denton has managed to cobble it all together at the same time.

That said, I just hope we can hang on to most of these. It is one thing to learn to find success, but it takes another learning process for knowing how to handle success.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

I will be calling Mike Smith in the Athletic Department today and making my MGC donation.  I challenge those here that have not done the same to do so.   The AD is running on all cylinders currently.  Show them you are taking notice. 

In case you need the number.
Mike Smith: 940-565-3528

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

I think it just may be the first time in forever that UNT actually put all the components together at the same time: winning (check), a good stadium (check), a good student city (check), a board/President that really provides the necessary recources for the AD to work with (check), an AD that for the most part knows what to do with those and finds way to have that influence recruiting (check).

If you don't have the perception from the at large football community, then you need all of these concurrently to really turn recruiting around, and this may be the first time UNT-Denton has managed to cobble it all together at the same time.

That said, I just hope we can hang on to most of these. It is one thing to learn to find success, but it takes another learning process for knowing how to handle success.

I certainly agree. Especially about the part where Denton and UNT have finally been able to cobble it all together. I remember my Senior year at Denton High School was the same year they installed turf at Fouts Field. UNT asked the city for help and the city only agreed if Denton High School could play their home games there. So, that year Fouts Field was our home field instead of Bronco Field. I mean I understand Denton wanting to help out the lone high school at the time, but I would have thought they would have wanted to help to bring up the profile of the university so more people would want to come here to increase the tax base. Now if they could just get the damn streets around the campus fixed.

• Upvote 1