3 Years Ago: A QB Race

MGNation92

20 minutes ago, Eastwood Eagle said:

Am I on the minority of folks who looks back at Dajon and thinks "what could have been"?

Not sure, but I have thought the same.  For his sake, I hope he has been able to straighten things out.

• Upvote 1

The worst combo of QBs in our history...not a one of them could play at this level. I'm not sure Greer could've played at a FCS school. The fact that Andrew McNulty started here for as long as he did was confirmation that Dan McCarney had seen modern college football pass him by.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

On 6/19/2018 at 10:09 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, he transferred to East Texas State, and didn't win the starting job there, so . . . "what could have been" was probably not all that much.

Yea the qb there won the d2 equivalent of the heisman and got signed by the rams as a udfa 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

On 6/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, untjim1995 said:

The worst combo of QBs in our history...not a one of them could play at this level. I'm not sure Greer could've played at a FCS school. The fact that Andrew McNulty started here for as long as he did was confirmation that Dan McCarney had seen modern college football pass him by.

In the second scene just before they switch to the first Canales interview you see #19 throwing the ball. As you may or may not know, he's our current back-up to Mason Fine......and he came off the bench cold last year and threw a TD pass against a B-10 school. 

As I recall I assessed him (Shanbour) and DW as being the best pure passers of the group. I also spent all spring scratching my head over Greer and all the reps he was getting. I couldn't decide if DW was undisciplined, unfocused, or just not all that bright.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

In the second scene just before they switch to the first Canales interview you see #19 throwing the ball. As you may or may not know, he's our current back-up to Mason Fine......and he came off the bench cold last year and threw a TD pass against a B-10 school. 

As I recall I assessed him (Shanbour) and DW as being the best pure passers of the group. I also spent all spring scratching my head over Greer and all the reps he was getting. I couldn't decide if DW was undisciplined, unfocused, or just not all that bright.

Greer was the worst QB I’ve ever seen start a game for us in the 30 years of following our program. He had “happy” feet, threw some serious ducks when he did make a throw, and just looked totally overwhelmed at this level of play.

ill never forget that last game against UTEP in Denton in 2015. Chico let every QB play, like this was some HS team that let all the seniors play their last game to be nice. Greer comes in and immediately throws a pick 6. We lost by 3 points....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Greer was the worst QB I’ve ever seen start a game for us in the 30 years of following our program. He had “happy” feet, threw some serious ducks when he did make a throw, and just looked totally overwhelmed at this level of play.

ill never forget that last game against UTEP in Denton in 2015. Chico let every QB play, like this was some HS team that let all the seniors play their last game to be nice. Greer comes in and immediately throws a pick 6. We lost by 3 points....

As a reminder, here is the stat line for Greer and McNulty combined for that first game in 2014 when we were coming off a bowl championship season with Thompson. 3 of 17 for 15 yards and 4 interceptions. One interception was a 28 yard pick 6. There was also a fumble lost by one of them. Greer’s QBR was -11.1 while McNulty’s was -40.2. Worst quarterbacking performance I’ve seen at any level. Just to recap, we completed more passes for more yards and more points to the opponent than we did to our own team. Almost impossibly bad but we found a way to do it coming off a 9 win season.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

As a reminder, here is the stat line for Greer and McNulty combined for that first game in 2014 when we were coming off a bowl championship season with Thompson. 3 of 17 for 15 yards and 4 interceptions. One interception was a 28 yard pick 6. There was also a fumble lost by one of them. Greer’s QBR was -11.1 while McNulty’s was -40.2. Worst quarterbacking performance I’ve seen at any level. Just to recap, we completed more passes for more yards and more points to the opponent than we did to our own team. Almost impossibly bad but we found a way to do it coming off a 9 win season.

A lot of that has to fall on Chico.  He did a solid job as interim HC, but the QB situation immediately went south once Chico took over QB coaching duties from Todd Dodge.  Not to mention how much that situation has improved since Graham Harrell and his young protégé arrived.

• Upvote 3

On 6/21/2018 at 9:59 AM, untjim1995 said:

Wasn’t it Greer that took a knee on a play in Austin when one of the UT defense was coming at him?  No attempt to allude him. It was embarrassing.  Reminded me of the “Blow the whistle!” scene in Necessary Roughness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2018 at 10:09 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, he transferred to East Texas State, and didn't win the starting job there, so . . . "what could have been" was probably not all that much.

Dajon never played at A&M-Commerce.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

How they could not find a decent QB out of that group and coach him I will never know.  Greer made me walk out of Apogee in garbage time.  When they put him in the game I said he was going to throw an interception.  Well he proved me wrong for two plays by handing the ball off.  The third play interception.  That is when I knew the coaching staff had to go.  The back up QB at Ryan or Denton High probably could have played just as poorly as that group.  Still shocked that Conner Means couldn't get playing time at QB.