West TAMU

ACU

San Angelo State

Midwestern St

NutsaCK

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not really sure what they are rating.  The stadium, the atmosphere or just who is big time or not.   UT and A$M stadiums are big and costs were astronomical and if you get 100,000 fans; it is certainly a great football experience.  The Alamo Dome is an indoor dump.  SMU's stadium is fine if you forget about access and love disinterested small  home fan crowds.   

Frankly, I don't go to a ball game to see a band and in my opinion the UT band would be far down my favorite list.  I don't really understand how someone can criticize the NT band for lack of innovation and praise UT's band which has about as vanilla program as any band in D1 football. 

I have no idea why Vito harps on the price tag of Apogee.  I think it was a good deal and if you add in a land value would produce a much larger number.  

Because they randomly stroll/walk/mope out onto the field into position which screams "WE DONT CARE" and projects as the furthest from a college football atmosphere as possible.

And any stadium ranking list that doesn't place the alamo dome at the bottom is a joke.  I would rather watch a game at Fouts than in that shitty echo chamber.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Because they randomly stroll/walk/mope out onto the field into position which screams "WE DONT CARE" and projects as the furthest from a college football atmosphere as possible.

And any stadium ranking list that doesn't place the alamo dome at the bottom is a joke.  I would rather watch a game at Fouts than that shitty echo chamber.

Rick

Innovation is a lot different than inspiration.  

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Innovation is a lot different than inspiration.  

They aren't innovative at all. At least not to my untrained eye. It's mainly the same routine, same in game songs, and same green t shirts and khaki shorts. I've literally seen high school bands the evening Friday before our Saturday games in full dress. That should be a minimum standard on Game Days. 

And a college football marching band should present itself to the grand stand crowd pre-game and halftime. Not play grab ass as they lollygag to their designated hash. Our band is good at a lot of things, but overall presentation is certainly not one of them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

It’s hard to get people who either loathe football or are just apathetic to its existence to care enough to give any kind of an effort beyond the barest of minimums...to me, that’s the Green Brigade’s leaders’ fault. But when you’ve been told and shown that your music program is the window to your school, you don’t have to care much about it, either, unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

2016 Notre Dame vs Texas.  I was at that game with my older brother.  He's a big UT Alum and fan, and season ticket holder.  Love or hate the horns, the pre-game pageantry is great.  So much tradition.

Let SilverEagle and I take over UNT's Green Brigade pre-game and half time and we'll get it right!!

UNT's halftime perfromances remind me of high school band competition.

Just don't imitate the Tech Band.  I hate how they run out and their opinion of themselves is much higher than the performance they deliver.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Just don't imitate the Tech Band.  I hate how they run out and their opinion of themselves is much higher than the performance they deliver.

Once again we find ourselves in agreement. I don't like running and/or prancing out on the field. To me, a high-stepping double time (Ohio State) is sufficient to convey energy and enthusiasm and get the home crowd going. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm not into the running out on the field, high-stepping, etc.  I do like how the whorn band enters the field, with a touch of showmanship.  UNT and the Green Brigade can do so much better.

Hell, when we got back into the big boy division in '95, at least the band wore uniforms and marched in around the track.  Didn't care for "Fly Like An Eagle" the whole time.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I get frustrated at folks throwing the band itself under the bus for the showmanship of how they enter the field, innovation of their performance, or even what they wear.  If they are sloppy at doing what they are told to do, then blame THAT on the band.   But, if you have an issue with song selection, attire, organization, originality, etc., seems like that falls at the feet of one person.

nicholas_williams_headshot.jpg?itok=Xwng

I don’t know how much say Wren has in this.  Maybe another airplane banner is in order?  Seriously though.  I’d welcome a change at this position, whether it be by replacing Williams or by helping him understand that things have to change if he wants to stick around. Things are stale in this area of our game day experience. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I get frustrated at folks throwing the band itself under the bus for the showmanship of how they enter the field, innovation of their performance, or even what they wear.  If they are sloppy at doing what they are told to do, then blame THAT on the band.   But, if you have an issue with song selection, attire, organization, originality, etc., seems like that falls at the feet of one person.

I don’t know how much say Wren has in this.  Maybe another airplane banner is in order?  Seriously though.  I’d welcome a change at this position, whether it be by replacing Williams or by helping him understand that things have to change if he wants to stick around. Things are stale in this area of our game day experience. 

I agree with you, Mr. Williams is apparently a great musician, but if you read his bio he is involved in a lot of activities. Of all those activities, the most visible by far to the average alumni is the marching band.  It is time for a change, there is no reason that the NT band should not be a premier organization.   I speculate that Mr. Williams is band director because of his tenure and status with the music department more than his leadership of the marching band.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I agree with you, Mr. Williams is apparently a great musician, but if you read his bio he is involved in a lot of activities. Of all those activities, the most visible by far to the average alumni is the marching band.  It is time for a change, there is no reason that the NT band should not be a premier organization.   I speculate that Mr. Williams is band director because of his tenure and status with the music department more than his leadership of the marching band.  

I couldn't agree with you more.

If you or anyone else would like to share your "concerns" about how the Green Brigade is not up to the standards of our nationally recognized school of music, then here are two e-mail addresses to convey the message.

nicholas.williams@unt.edu

Be sure and cc his boss. 

john.richmond@unt.ecu

Edited by SilverEagle

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I don't think athletics has any say. Same for any campus. Other than allotting "X" amount of time to the band, it's all in the music school. But I'm sure athletics does receive a lot of the feedback and hopefully they share it with CoM

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I couldn't agree with you more.

If you or anyone else would like to share your "concerns" about how the Green Brigade is not up to the standards of our nationally recognized school of music, then here are two e-mail addresses to convey the message.

nicholas.williams@unt.edu

Be sure and cc his boss. 

john.richmond@unt.ecu

I spoke to him personally three years ago about their entrance as they walked by during the Mean Green March.  You were standing about 10 feet from me.  

Remember, after I walked along with him and asked he told me "We just don't have time to work on a marching entrance"

To which I replied..."But your marching......RIGHT NOW to a real cool cadence that would be perfect to enter the stadium to. Why not just use it?"

To which he shot back.."We just don't have time"...and he walked off.

So to me this means it's a zero priority on whether they look like shit or not as a college football band.  And that's why during the N.O. Bowl......they got their doors blown off by Troy.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I spoke to him personally three years ago about their entrance as they walked by during the Mean Green March.  You were standing about 10 feet from me.  

Remember, after I walked along with him and asked he told me "We just don't have time to work on a marching entrance"

To which I replied..."But your marching......RIGHT NOW to a real cool cadence that would be perfect to enter the stadium to. Why not just use it?"

So to me this means it's a zero priority on wether or not they look like shit or not as a college football band.  And that's why during the N.O. Bowl they got their doors blown off by Troy.  

Rick

Time Management For Dummies, 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/0764551450/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Z0dmBbDEMTFD3

Somehow other schools find time.  More specifically, other band directors find time.  All about priorities.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Time Management For Dummies, 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/0764551450/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Z0dmBbDEMTFD3

Somehow other schools find time.  More specifically, other band directors find time.  All about priorities.  

I’m certain he could reference a number of Tim Ferris’s writings to become more efficient. It’s jive. We get the band locked on, it helps with the game day experience. 

13 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

So to me this means it's a zero priority on whether they look like shit or not as a college football band.  And that's why during the N.O. Bowl......they got their doors blown off by Troy.  

Rick

Rick, your exchange with Dr. Williams  reminded me of a post that 'letsgiveacheer" made at my request about how the Band used to be put together and how they went about putting together a show every week. Note the part that I bolded.

• Mean Green Eagle
  •  
  • letsgiveacheer
  • Members
  • team_member.gif
  • 1,132 posts
  • purple_heart.ico

Everything has changed in forty years but this is how it was:

We marched 128. While there may have been some, I do not recall any non-music majors in the marching band. Mr. McAdow auditioned everyone before allowing them in and the standard of playing was very high. The primary reason people joined the marching band was to have a chance to play in the concert band in the spring, at that time the top band on campus. In the words of Mr. McAdow, "if you don't walk, you don't sit!" Among my fellow marchers are members of some of the top symphonies and leading professors.

I should add that all the major programs did it this way. The Director of Bands always directed the marching band and the top concert band. Those days are long gone.

It was not required for music ed. majors to be in the marching band. In fact, most of them avoided it.

A few other tidbits:In my four years, I remember only two out of town trips, one to Tulsa (out and back) and another to NM We wore our full uniforms for every game. Rehearsals were from 4 to 5 each day with dress rehearsals on game day. We did a new show for every game even when we played consecutive home games. State where the governor came to Mr McAdow following our half time show and pronounced the North Texas band the best he had ever seen.

Edited August 24, 2014 by letsgiveachee

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Yet another example of how you cannot make people care about anything related to football that loathe its existence...this guy’s response just screams, “We only show because they make us. Otherwise, we wouldn’t waste our time any further. Besides, WE are the window to the university, not this stupid game...” 

This is what we have faced for decades because of our priorities being placed on them over athletics, the exact opposite of how it is everywhere else around the region. At the worst, we should be somewhat close to UH and at the very best, we could have been like Tech if we had focused on athletics and football after Hayden left. Instead, we basically gave up to the mindset listed above. And make no mistake about it, those same voices HATE what’s going on in New Denton right now—and it’s glorious to watch!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You know, I don't believe that the school of music dislikes athletics or tries to actively undermine it. But I do believe that they believe that they know best regarding how and what they present at football games.  And I also believe that, "down the corridor of years" since Maurice McAdow retired, the administration has given them tacit approval to do  just that.

I took the time to look up the bio of Maurice McAdow. It's an interesting read about a musician/instructor/showman from another era. From a purely academic view, he wasn't all that impressive. He didn''t get his masters until the 50's when he had already been the director of Bands at North Texas for almost 10 years. But what Mr. McAdow did have was lots of REAL WORLD experience. In other words, he had to go out there and make a living playing and directing and he had to know what the public liked........not what the musical academics liked. 

Maurice McAdow's bands put on a SHOW, they didn't conduct a music clinic on the football field. Unless, of course, you were there to see a clinic in showmanship, musicianship, and energetic participation in the game day process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_McAdow

I hope that one of the stations (ideally TCM) shows "Stars and Stripes Forever" as part of their 4th celebration. There are several scenes in the movie that kind of makes my point. In one scene, Sousa (played excellently by Clifton Webb) has left military service and put together his own band. Sousa stands up before the group and explains the bands goals. Of particular interest is the point he makes to the band that they will play songs that the public wants to hear..."if our public wants to hear "Turkey in the Straw" then that's what we"ll play". In another scene his band marches into Atlanta for a playing engagement and what are they marching to?....Dixie. BTW, it's the best version of Dixie I've ever heard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Dr. Williams is a football/hockey fan.

......who (IMHO) doesn't have a clue as to how to do the spirit/celebration part of a football game. There are LOTS of football fans in the stands at Apogee who are very knowledgeable about football, but I would never put them in charge of the band or any of the spirit groups.

• Upvote 2