UNT lands defensive lineman who will be eligible this fall

Sounds like a guy who's been through a lot and has worked hard to get to this point.  Should be easy to root for...

https://247sports.com/Article/Caleb-Colvin-is-a-defensive-tackle-prospect-that-could-really-fit-Oklahoma-States-needs-of-getting-a-player-at-that-position-with-a-little-more-maturity-Caleb-Colvin-OKlahoma--118053141/

Caleb Colvin has been through a lot to get to where he hopes to be going. Colvin is shooting for a Division I football home that eluded him after his high school career at Owasso, in part because he suffered a torn ACL in his knee and because he didn't make his grades. Both situations have been corrected as Colvin is as healthy as he has been in a long time.

"I worked really hard on it," Colvin said of the knee. "My trainer Bryce Sawyer got me right. It took a long time, about eight months of rehab, but he got it right."

"I'm looking for a safe place, a place that feels like home," Colvin said of the kind of school he is looking for. "Somewhere not too far and some place where I fit in. I'd like to play right away, but if I will just work my way into it."

When Vito speaks with him, I expect we'll hear that the program's culture of family played a big role in his decision.

• Upvote 1

Read the 247 Sport's story -

6-4,  285 lbs. Several big programs are looking at Caleb - AR, OU, Troy, NE,K-state, ECU,  others.

Made the Deans Honor Roll

Watch the high light video - I am impressed.  I am glad Caleb picked North Texas.

Another gem in the making? I think so!

• Lovely Take 2

7 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Looks like his HS 24/7 Profile:

https://247sports.com/player/caleb-colvin-83239

Offer from Army

Edit: If he's as big as his Hudl says he maybe coming in as a NT. Not looking good if you're hoping for an immediate impact from English.

Why?  Was there news on English or just speculation, because we need the depth regardless?

• Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  Was there news on English or just speculation, because we need the depth regardless?

IDK...a lot of folks on here seem wildly obsessed with English, comparing him to the second coming of Booger when he hasn’t played a single down. 

Colvin was clearly a late qualifier at a position of need. Our staff stayed on him as others backed off and didn’t want to wait. Nice addition. Now, let’s get him here with Womack and get him ready for camp.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

IDK...a lot of folks on here seem wildly obsessed with English, comparing him to the second coming of Booger when he hasn’t played a single down. 

Colvin was clearly a late qualifier at a position of need. Our staff stayed on him as others backed off and didn’t want to wait. Nice addition. Now, let’s get him here with Womack and get him ready for camp.

I'm actually of the opposite mindset. I'm not convinced in any way that English will ever play meaningful snaps for us, hence the need for depth at NT/DE

As UNT Mean Green mentioned, some people think he'll be this all world game changer. I just think it was a good story for a bit, but I'm over waiting for anything productive on the field from him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I absolutely won't give up on Bryce English until he gives up on himself and I just don't believe that will happen.  It may take awhile but if he can be rehabbed to 80-90% of what he was he will still be a terrific lineman.  

We need him.  Young and Tauualo are seniors.  Hamilton has potential.  McMillan, LeBlanc, Saafi and Shaw may need time to develop.  With a healthy English we could be formidable this year.  I believe that Bryce will bounce back or bust a gut trying.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I absolutely won't give up on Bryce English until he gives up on himself and I just don't believe that will happen.  It may take awhile but if he can be rehabbed to 80-90% of what he was he will still be a terrific lineman.  

We need him.  Young and Tauualo are seniors.  Hamilton has potential.  McMillan, LeBlanc, Saafi and Shaw may need time to develop.  With a healthy English we could be formidable this year.  I believe that Bryce will bounce back or bust a gut trying.

Don't forget about Novil, who got some PT last year.  I think he's going to be a contributor this year, and may turn into a centerpiece down the line.

As for the bold, I agree.  And with his injury history, that's my only worry (not the gut, but the ankle/foot).

• Upvote 1

I believe the defense will be much stronger next year.  The dbs should be a strong point and rank among the best in the conference.  Both the dl and lb also should be much improved and should be of at least average CUSA quality.  I think the biggest issue is lack of depth at linebacker, but there are a lot of young players that should develop. 

The defense is not going to dominate, but I predict they will much better than the doormat of last year.   

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1