Recruiting Update 6/16

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It's a long way until Feb!! 

And not as long until December. I like the early signing period but it has taken some of the fun away from the February National Signing Day. It's kind of like opening all but one or two Christmas gifts on Halloween. 

14 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I know the last few weeks have been tough as far as recruiting goes. Having to watch rivals UTSA and SMU have early success has been rough. But I do have some positives. BE PAITENT!!! It's about to heat up. And I can say with out a doubt. This will be UNT best class in the last decade. The director of recruiting Luke Walerius has been doing some very good thing. UNT is in on some VERY big names!! We already have a 3 star RB ( multiple P5 offers) and a 3 star WR! So the cupboard is not bare. Things are going to really start heating up. We should star expecting some commitments the rest of this month and July. So be PAITENT Mean Green Nation we are in for a fun and exciting summer! It's a long way until Feb!! 

Is this more HYPE? Kidding! GMG 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Just landed another 3 Star! 

Not necessarily directed toward you but have we decided what the the bar is going to be for UNT recruiting? If we sign a bunch of 2 star guys (or not rated), what resonates on here is that stars don't matter. (from coaches and fans) but, when a kid is a 3 star or better, we are doing well. Then I read that it should be based on the number of offers a kid gets. Yet there are many kids getting multiple offers that can't play, in my estimation. I realize many offers are based on potential. (mostly in football) 

With or without this star system (which I've never got in to) UNT,  historically,  has always signed a handful of good players. The problem has always been that others programs sign more. Based on the number of kids playing in Texas alone and the number of scholarships offered, it appears to me that  mid major programs should be signing mostly high 2 or 3s. Right? Just asking.

Changing sports and level. the NBA draft is Thursday. Read today that of the 450 players who played 100 minutes or more this past season, 20% of them were 2nd round draft picks. Another 22% of the 450 were not drafted. (42% not 1st round guys) There seems to be different opinions and results.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Not necessarily directed toward you but have we decided what the the bar is going to be for UNT recruiting? If we sign a bunch of 2 star guys (or not rated), what resonates on here is that stars don't matter. (from coaches and fans) but, when a kid is a 3 star or better, we are doing well. Then I read that it should be based on the number of offers a kid gets. Yet there are many kids getting multiple offers that can't play, in my estimation. I realize many offers are based on potential. (mostly in football) 

With or without this star system (which I've never got in to) UNT,  historically,  has always signed a handful of good players. The problem has always been that others programs sign more. Based on the number of kids playing in Texas alone and the number of scholarships offered, it appears to me that  mid major programs should be signing mostly high 2 or 3s. Right? Just asking.

Changing sports and level. the NBA draft is Thursday. Read today that of the 450 players who played 100 minutes or more this past season, 20% of them were 2nd round draft picks. Another 22% of the 450 were not drafted. (42% not 1st round guys) There seems to be different opinions and results.   

Can’t buy into the 2nd round 3rd round 2 Star No star guy.  The numbers are in these guys favor to be “more successful” because their are more of them.  Sure the top level guys should pan out but when they don’t guess who is there waiting in the wings.  2nd and 3rd level guys so on and so forth.  I just like to watch kids tapes we get.  Tells me most of what I need to know. 

• Upvote 1