New UNT Tradition: Official Class Ring and Dunk Ceremony

Harry

I think the idea of having an official ring makes a lot of sense.  Seems like they used Josten's back in the day but you could go a lot of different directions with the look.  Anything that helps build tradition is welcomed.

I had to talk my wife into getting a class ring when she graduated UNT.  She initially thought that since she was getting her degree at such an, uh, "advanced" age, that it was silly.

But after I talked her into it and she got it, she was very happy.  She wears that ring every day, and with a lot of pride.

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, Stix said:

But to be serious - what is the significance of dunking your ring in the fountain?  Maybe the best person to answer this is @KRAM1.

Who knows.  Why do the ags dunk their rings in a pitcher of beer at the Chicken?

Edited by LongJim

I think it is more of starting a tradition for those purchasing class rings. Many colleges and universities do such things as “tradition”. As has been stated, this is an area of campus that holds great significance to many of our students. So, the location makes sense.

As many of you already know, our youngest son graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY. When they get their rings, they did them in a bowl of water containing water from the Seven Seas and Oceans that has been gatherd and delivered to the Academy for the purpose.

Many here ask for “traditions”. Perhaps this is the start of a good one for UNT. The ring ceremony was held outdoors as well for the first time. Talk about traditions...this ring ceremony thing has really grown in recent years.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I think it is more of starting a tradition for those purchasing class rings. Many colleges and universities do such things as “tradition”. As has been stated, this is an area of campus that holds great significance to many of our students. So, the location makes sense.

As many of you already know, our youngest son graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY. When they get their rings, they did them in a bowl of water containing water from the Seven Seas and Oceans that has been gatherd and delivered to the Academy for the purpose.

Many here ask for “traditions”. Perhaps this is the start of a good one for UNT. The ring ceremony was held outdoors as well for the first time. Talk about traditions...this ring ceremony thing has really grown in recent years.

Texas A&M has been dunking rings for many years.

To your comment about Academy rings, in the Air Force, we had a nickname for Academy grads; "ringknockers". At meetings, they would gently knock their rings on the table to let others know they were Academy grads, not low-life ROTC or OTS officers!

On 6/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, Stix said:

But to be serious - what is the significance of dunking your ring in the fountain?  Maybe the best person to answer this is @KRAM1.

Per the original post, it’s officially called the Eagle Ring Dive (not Dunk).  Goes well with our “diving” eagle logo, newly added to the ring. 

• Lovely Take 1

i love how traditions at this school get everyone’s feathers ruffled.   No pun intended.  

Many schools have a ring tradition of putting it in booze.  My guess is that someone probably considered the possibility that there’s always going to be a number of people who don’t drink (yes, even if they are in college...) So, the simple answer would be to still “submerge” the ring.  And what better place to do than at a body of water in the middle of campus = everyone dunks at once, so no private parties and makes for a good photo.   

• Thanks 1

It thrills me to no end that UNT is doing more and more of these sort of things because these are exactly the traditions that help to build a lifelong connection between alumni and the university. When I first arrived at UNT, students often tended to see it as stopping off point for a few years that created little long-term connection. That has really changed over the last several years and things like this reinforce it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, chomp said:

It thrills me to no end that UNT is doing more and more of these sort of things because these are exactly the traditions that help to build a lifelong connection between alumni and the university. When I first arrived at UNT, students often tended to see it as stopping off point for a few years that created little long-term connection. That has really changed over the last several years and things like this reinforce it. 

adriel?.......this you?

• Upvote 1

In 2000 or 2001 the university announced an official ring (like A&M), the one I purchased when I graduated in 2001. Now there are several official rings, and I am not happy about that. You either have an official ring, or you have several rings with the letters UNT on them. I guess it makes money for the seller, but it is not as special as a tradition.

• Upvote 3

Anybody thinking about buying a new ring? I have the older XL ring with the star in the center, and love it. It's white gold, but thinking about ordering a copy in that white lustrium because it stays shiny, and mine looks super old and dull.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1