Athlon 2018 CUSA Predictions

jdennis82

I'll let you guys read without giving anything away but they certainly do a good job highlighting much of the intrigue of the coming season for our conference...

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-usa-football-2018-predictions

Clearly, we know where the publication stands on it's view of our QB situation: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-starting-quarterback-rankings-2018

For comparison's sake, here's their 2017 article predicting a 5-7 finish for the Mean Green (of course, few projected the 2017 season correctly for our squad in Denton)...

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-usa-football-2017-predictions

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WaxaWarrior2016 said:

Position to Watch: North Texas OL, unanimous. I had a chuckle at that.

Also, nice shoutout to Graham Harrell for coach on the rise!

Yeah, I kind of nodded in agreement at that. 

I still can't get over that play that you and @MGNation92 have in y'all's signature. It was literally an unbelievable play that did not at the time and has not even now received enough regional or national recognition. It's an absolute STUD play by both QB and QR, especially QB. I mean Fine laid that ball in literally a "spot" on a random mark on the field and it was an absolute perfect throw by just repetition and memory. I don't think that play in its given time will be out done by Fine. I hope it is, but I have a feeling this play will lay down in UNT football lore, regardless of opponent. 

To Note: I had walked up to from my seats on row 1 section 112 to the middle rail section between the end zone and wing seating. As we were walking up UNT were eating TO's with UTSA's O on the field and it got to 4th and 3, I believe, with a little over a minute left and we called our last TO. I told my wife, the beautiful @Lydia Gooding, that I had to watch what happens. So she agreed to hold up with me there...Then the punt went down to the 2 yard line and I was like WTH. But, hey hun, let's see what happens. And then we hit that big heave to Lawrence on the field boundary. Then magic happened. I was giving high fives AND hugs to people I have never seen in my life. It was, regardless of the shitty opponent, the best UNT experience I have experienced thus. 

PS; The Army game and Rice 2013 game were great as well. My wife's favorite moment to date has been the win over Army in 2017, because according to her, their fans were "A-holes". 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

OL and defense must improve. Year 3 in the system and here's where these so called "Amazing evaluation skills" start to rear their head. I like our interior line, I am extremely skeptical about our tackle situation. Woody is our best lineman, but can he make the transition to tackle? Is the NCAA going to screw us on Mayfield? Can Brammer step up?

If we don't get more consistent pressure from the front 6/7, we will lose those close games we won last year.

These two units are the difference between 7-5 and 10-2

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

OL and defense must improve. Year 3 in the system and here's where these so called "Amazing evaluation skills" start to rear their head. I like our interior line, I am extremely skeptical about our tackle situation. Woody is our best lineman, but can he make the transition to tackle? Is the NCAA going to screw us on Mayfield? Can Brammer step up?

If we don't get more consistent pressure from the front 6/7, we will lose those close games we won last year.

These two units are the difference between 7-5 and 10-2

If he can stay at End, look for Rod Young to have an Aaron-Bellazin-like Senior Year.

That will be predicated on NT being strong behind Tauaalo... which is where English comes in.

19 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, I kind of nodded in agreement at that. 

I still can't get over that play that you and @MGNation92 have in y'all's signature. It was literally an unbelievable play that did not at the time and has not even now received enough regional or national recognition. It's an absolute STUD play by both QB and QR, especially QB. I mean Fine laid that ball in literally a "spot" on a random mark on the field and it was an absolute perfect throw by just repetition and memory. I don't think that play in its given time will be out done by Fine. I hope it is, but I have a feeling this play will lay down in UNT football lore, regardless of opponent. 

To Note: I had walked up to from my seats on row 1 section 112 to the middle rail section between the end zone and wing seating. As we were walking up UNT were eating TO's with UTSA's O on the field and it got to 4th and 3, I believe, with a little over a minute left and we called our last TO. I told my wife, the beautiful @Lydia Gooding, that I had to watch what happens. So she agreed to hold up with me there...Then the punt went down to the 2 yard line and I was like WTH. But, hey hun, let's see what happens. And then we hit that big heave to Lawrence on the field boundary. Then magic happened. I was giving high fives AND hugs to people I have never seen in my life. It was, regardless of the shitty opponent, the best UNT experience I have experienced thus. 

PS; The Army game and Rice 2013 game were great as well. My wife's favorite moment to date has been the win over Army in 2017, because according to her, their fans were "A-holes". 

Those three games are also my favorite memories at UNT games. I was in the Green Brigade back in 2013 for that Rice game, and completely lost it on that defensive stand! My dad and sister (both Rice alums) were present which made it a little more fun!