AD is posting real donor numbers

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I don't like playing Liberty period.  I think they are a rising program, looking for a g5 upset win they can use to catapult themselves.  I think our decision to play them was likely financial, in that they threw some dough for us to come to their place in the 1st game.  This game makes me nervous.  They are going to be extremely fired up.   They beat Baylor just a year ago and cancelled classes they were so excited about it.

Perfect example of #OldDenton thinking. 

In this mindset we should never play any game because we might lose. 

Seriously who is afraid of Liberty??

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 6/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, Harry said:

I don't like playing Liberty period.  I think they are a rising program, looking for a g5 upset win they can use to catapult themselves.  I think our decision to play them was likely financial, in that they threw some dough for us to come to their place in the 1st game.  This game makes me nervous.  They are going to be extremely fired up.   They beat Baylor just a year ago and cancelled classes they were so excited about it.

The Great Liberty. 6-5. Couldn't beat some FCS.

DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME/RESULT LIVE STATS TV
9/2/2017 Baylor Waco, Texas W 48-45 Live Stats FS2
9/9/2017 Morehead State Lynchburg, Va. W 58-17 Live Stats BSN
9/16/2017 Indiana State Lynchburg, Va. W 42-41 Live Stats BSN
9/23/2017 Jacksonville State Jacksonville, Ala. L 10-31 Live Stats  
9/30/2017 St. Francis (Pa.) Lynchburg, Va. L 7-13 Live Stats BSN
10/14/2017 Kennesaw State Lynchburg, Va. L 28-42 Live Stats ESPN3
10/21/2017 Monmouth West Long Branch, N.J. L 39-56   ESPN3 / BSN
10/28/2017 Gardner-Webb Boiling Springs, N.C. W 33-17   Stadium
11/4/2017 Duquesne Lynchburg, Va. W 27-24 Live Stats BSN
11/11/2017 Presbyterian Lynchburg, Va. W 47-28 Live Stats College Football Down South
11/18/2017 Charleston Southern Charleston, S.C. L 19-20 Live Stats College Football Down South

As for who we play....I don't really care.

But regarding Army....another way to look at it:

Does the 1 game playing them offset the coaching staff's opinion that taking a week in the middle of the year to totally turn your practice upside down has an effect on the season? Especially if they don't HAVE to...(not in conference) In other words does the negative of playing the one game vs Liberty offset the positive of playing a high profile program for one game when you compare that game to the momentum of a full schedule. Does 10-2 with a win vs Liberty look better than 8-4 with a game vs Army? (Assuming you believe what seems like the coaching staffs thoughts on disrupting practice in the middle of the year)

If you take out the HOD bowl loss (because it was the last game of the year), after we beat Army the other two times we played them in season, we were 2-7 and our defense was not good in those losses. We were perhaps lucky we got a massively down Rice the week after last seasons game then we gave up 41 and 50 the next 2 games. Yes the opponents were good but we should've been peaking in games 13 and 14 on the year.

You can draw your own conclusion but it seems like the coaching staff doesn't like disrupting practice momentum and maybe they do feel it affects the team. You can argue that that's weak and the coaches should be able to handle that. I get it. But it seems like there's risk\reward at play here and the program is removing risk. We are on the verge of somethign big picture here and we're walking that G5 wire where we have NO ROOM for error and we can't take chances on losing games. If the coaches think maintaining practice momentum for every week helps the team win more games....then so be it.

Seems the coaches have spoken and the AD backed them. If we go 10-2 this year and are a top 10 G5, it's not going to matter that we played Liberty. Big picture, sacrificing the one marquee matchup that the fans might enjoy for a shot at upping our national profile with a 10-2 or 11-1 season may be worth it. Fans would enjoy seeing UNT get national attention as well.

And as for the LIberty game specifically....this team should be well coached and mature enough to not look past Liberty. Our talent and continuity in this system should be too much for them to handle. That Baylor win last year should help us. They'll hear it 100 times in the week leading up to that game. This game shouldn't be close.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1