AD is posting real donor numbers

4 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Then why are you here? This site, especially this particular forum, is dedicated to athletics. If you no longer support athletics because of this, then why are you here constantly bringing it up? 

I don't know how long you've been posting on this board but I've been here a damn long time.  The only folks who have any right to suggest I don't belong on the board are Harry & the administrators.  So, respectfully, go to hades.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 7

11 hours ago, GTWT said:

I don't know how long you've been posting on this board but I've been here a damn long time.  The only folks who have any right to suggest I don't belong on the board are Harry & the administrators.  So, respectfully, go to hades.

I have been on here plenty long, not that it matters. As for to suggesting that you don't belong, I never said that. Please reread. I asked why you are spending your time on here if you no longer support the program. You sure spend a lot of time on something you profess to no longer care about. As I stated in my post, just want to understand. 

Also, just because you say something "respectfully" doesn't make what follows respectful.

• Upvote 2

Let's not get into the business of running fans off. 

WB did what he thought was right by his coaching staff. I don't agree with it for he should be doing what is right by the fan base. As I've said again and again, coaches come and go. The fans are here to stay...In theory. 

I get the thought process, just not the details in the execution. And people have the right to bitch about it. He raised ticket prices and added Liberty. Yes, he added UH too, but why not nix Army and buy an additional W at home. Accomplishes the same thing without having to travel to FCS Lynchburg, at all costs to us at that. Buy a FCS W, keep LU travel costs in our pocket and have gate and concessions to boot x 2. At worse, schedule the 1 and 1 with LU but at least get travel costs from LU in the negotiations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, GTWT said:

If the only available replacement for Army in 2018 & 2019 was Liberty then it was a mistake to drop Army.  I really don't care how hard it was for UNT's coaching staff to prepare for Army - that's their job.  Playing Army is good for the program, playing Liberty isn't.  Do what's best for the program & let the coaches bitch about how tough it is.

You'll have to take this up with Coach Littrell and Wren Baker.  Because they very apparently disagree with you.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Purely in terms of scheduling, the garbage win addition of Liberty is outweighed by the additions of Houston, Cal, Memphis, and Wyoming so I guess for me it makes up for it.

Edited by Aldo
*I know it's across two administrations and they're not a direct result of adding Liberty
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Purely in terms of scheduling, the garbage win addition of Liberty is outweighed by the additions of Houston, Cal, Memphis, and Wyoming so I guess for me it makes up for it.

And Texas Tech. Scheduling has improved and there is no denying that. So it just makes Liberty seem that mucg more of a blunder given the trajectory of progress in terms of scheduling.

To note, the ACC, MWC, and the AAC has an opponent on their schedule they have to prepare for each year that runs the option. So this isn't an exclusive problem to UNT, so the woe is me can be removed from the narrative. Not saying it's coming from you Aldo. 

16 hours ago, GTWT said:

Do you really believe that Liberty U has that much leverage?  I suspect LU would really love to play an institution with the status of the Military Academy.  It's a shame Army agreed to play them.  It's a bigger shame that we agreed.

We wanted out of two of the Army games and Liberty had openings. I'd say they had a fair amount of leverage.

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

And Texas Tech. Scheduling has improved and there is no denying that. So it just makes Liberty seem that mucg more of a blunder given the trajectory of progress in terms of scheduling.

To note, the ACC, MWC, and the AAC has an opponent on their schedule they have to prepare for each year that runs the option. So this isn't an exclusive problem to UNT, so the woe is me can be removed from the narrative. Not saying it's coming from you Aldo. 

I loved the Army series, but I also understand and respect (not a comment towards you) the decision of the coaches and administration.

I don't have to prepare for it nor do I have to travel for it so I don't have squat to say. 

The Army for Liberty wasn't a 1-for-1 decision either. It opened us up for those other teams, which I am okay with. The folks that don't understand that either don't want to or are just focused on the initial shock of the downgrade from Army to Liberty. It was a net positive move because of the other teams we did get, instead of playing the same team over and over (very uncreative imo).

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I loved the Army series, but I also understand and respect (not a comment towards you) the decision of the coaches and administration.

I don't have to prepare for it nor do I have to travel for it so I don't have squat to say. 

The Army for Liberty wasn't a 1-for-1 decision either. It opened us up for those other teams, which I am okay with. The folks that don't understand that either don't want to or are just focused on the initial shock of the downgrade from Army to Liberty. It was a net positive move because of the other teams we did get, instead of playing the same team over and over (very uncreative imo).

Not to mention the positive (not having to interrupt their weekly routine to play Army) we get on the actual gridiron that Littrell wanted.

17 hours ago, GTWT said:

If the only available replacement for Army in 2018 & 2019 was Liberty then it was a mistake to drop Army.  I really don't care how hard it was for UNT's coaching staff to prepare for Army - that's their job.  Playing Army is good for the program, playing Liberty isn't.  Do what's best for the program & let the coaches bitch about how tough it is.

I agree that Army and/or Navy is good for our program, but only because their supporters (which are everywhere in the metroplex) show up in larger numbers than North Texas fans. I never realized how many seats around me (section 105) had been unsold until the Army game when there were many Army fans all around me. 

So fill in those gaps with people wearing green instead of black and yellow........THAT is what will be best for our program. And don't piss off the best coach we've had here since Hayden Fry. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

i'm not sure, but it seems like some of the dislike is caused by personal and/or political opinions of liberty university.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

i'm not sure, but it seems like some of the dislike is caused by personal and/or political opinions of liberty university.

For some, probably so. For me personally, not at all. I just don't want to see the D1 FBS program that I follow closely and that is trying to garner attention and respect agree to travel thousands of miles to a FCS transitional team. It's not a good look. In my mind, a good analogy would be for Texas A&M or UT to agree to a 1 on 1 with us. There would be ESPN/media and fan outrage. 

22 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

I don't like playing Liberty for the same reason I wouldn't want to play ITT Tech or a JC.  I find it distasteful to play a school where academics are so limited.

Some defenders of playing Liberty have tried to say not wanting to play them is anti religious discrimination.  I have zero problem playing a religious school.  I would love to schedule BYU.  Once Baylor actually clears up their rape cover up scandal I can see playing them as well.   

I don't like playing Liberty period.  I think they are a rising program, looking for a g5 upset win they can use to catapult themselves.  I think our decision to play them was likely financial, in that they threw some dough for us to come to their place in the 1st game.  This game makes me nervous.  They are going to be extremely fired up.   They beat Baylor just a year ago and cancelled classes they were so excited about it.

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I don't like playing Liberty for the same reason I wouldn't want to play ITT Tech or a JC.  I find it distasteful to play a school where academics are so limited.

Some defenders of playing Liberty have tried to say not wanting to play them is anti religious discrimination.  I have zero problem playing a religious school.  I would love to schedule BYU.  Once Baylor actually clears up their rape cover up scandal I can see playing them as well.   

If Rice can do this against UTSA, we can do it too.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I don't like playing Liberty period.  I think they are a rising program, looking for a g5 upset win they can use to catapult themselves.  I think our decision to play them was likely financial, in that they threw some dough for us to come to their place in the 1st game.  This game makes me nervous.  They are going to be extremely fired up.   They beat Baylor just a year ago and cancelled classes they were so excited about it.

Baylor was quickly exposed the next few weeks on their way to a 1-win season.    And Liberty came crashing back to earth, losing 4 straight games to the likes of Jacksonville St., St. Francis (PA), Kennesaw St., & Monmouth.

Basically, if you're counting on Incarnate Word to be a sure-win (which, I believe UIW would beat Liberty)... you should also be counting on Liberty to be a sure-win.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Liberty--live the other FCS games--for where our program currently sits, are just lose-lose for us. We beat them badly, so what...we barely beat them, it hurts our pull with potential fans...we lose, it pretty much crushes your momentum.

We need season ticket buyers, people going to games, and contributing to the MGC. Liberty and the FCS spares don't help with any of this. We don't play a conference schedule full of really tough opponents that require a softer OOC game to recover from, like some AQ league. In the lower G5s, we aren't that much more talented than the FCS anyway, since they get FBS transfers to play ASAP that are often better than a lot of comparative players at the lower G5s.

USM was mentioned earlier--they routinely played 5 home games a year, just to play big name teams anywhere, any time. And they would beat them periodically. But that reputation of theirs got them home games against some Power Teams that would never dream of being seen in Denton, like Nebraska and A&M, just to name a few. And that reputation, even as USM fell back, still resonates today, as seen this past season when the Independence Bowl lucked into getting Florida State to play there and they agreed to play Southern Miss in that game, in part because they knew it was a very beatable opponent, but also a G5 name that their coaches and fans would be able to help them in recruiting and feeling good about the progress they were making going into next season.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Which would make a little better sense, but was not the case. The naysayers need to just come full circle and agree this was a piss poor decision. I'm getting tired of bitching about this particular topic, but don't worry, not in general. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Rice can do this against UTSA, we can do it too.

Liberty is at a much lower level than UTSA, Troy, ULM, UIW, Boise... anyone else you can think of.

Liberty doesn't have tenure, and some of their bigger programs are "self accredited".  

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Understood, but we would be delusional to put ourselves on Rice's level academically.

Liberty doesn't have tenure.  That is junior college level.  

This is like debating which girl is uglier.  Yeah, one of them has a lazy eye, however THE OTHER ONE DOESN'T HAVE A HEAD.   It's a non starter debate.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Liberty doesn't have tenure.  That is junior college level.  

This is like debating which girl is uglier.  Yeah, one of them has a lazy eye, however THE OTHER ONE DOESN'T HAVE A HEAD.   It's a non starter debate.  

I mean....At least one won't talk....#amirite

• Haha 2

Interesting to look at Liberty's 2018 schedule.  They open with ODU and also play Army so we should have a decent idea of how well they match up with us after those two games:

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting to look at Liberty's 2018 schedule.  They open with ODU and also play Army so we should have a decent idea of how well they match up with us after those two games:

2018 Liberty Schedule
Sept. 1 vs. Old Dominion

Sept. 8 at Army
Sept. 15 vs. Norfolk State
Sept. 22 vs. North Texas

Sept. 29 at New Mexico
Oct 6 at New Mexico State
Oct. 13 vs. Troy
Oct. 20 vs. Idaho State

Nov. 3 at UMass
Nov. 10 at Virginia
Nov. 17 at Auburn
Nov. 24 vs. New Mexico State

If Army can find a QB that is even 75% as good as Bradshaw was, they're going to roll over Liberty to a score of something like 50-13, and that's only because Monken won't run-up the score even more than he could.

The ODU game will be a good barometer, yeah.  But I don't think ODU is going to hang with this NT offense either, so maybe don't pay attention to how many points ODU scores against Liberty, rather how many points ODU's defense holds Liberty's offense to.