Could Mason Fine join the 5,000 yard Club?

Good article, another interesting tidbit I found on that page was in regards to the benefits of in-state scheduling:

SMU, which qualified for a bowl game and boasted a squad with the likes of Courtland Sutton, averaged less than 20,000 fans per game. But when North Texas came to town, thanks to proximity, that number rose by almost 5,000 fans.

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

If gets 5,000 yards then I doubt we have a great season. Probably means we were behind a lot. 

If he had similar stats to last year with an uptick in completion percentage and a downtick in INTs, we'll be just fine. 

I agree.   
I expect to see an increase in his numbers because we don't have Wilson behind him anymore. 
But yeah, he'll be winging it around a lot more if we're down a bunch.  See what he did at SMU & in the N.O. Bowl.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree.   
I expect to see an increase in his numbers because we don't have Wilson behind him anymore. 
But yeah, he'll be winging it around a lot more if we're down a bunch.  See what he did at SMU & in the N.O. Bowl.

Young, inexperienced running game ... defense probably not "shutdown" quality yet so we'll need to keep scoring in some games ... I could see 5k yards.  I wouldn't bet on it as it's been down very few times but it could.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, meanrob said:

If gets 5,000 yards then I doubt we have a great season. Probably means we were behind a lot. 

If he had similar stats to last year with an uptick in completion percentage and a downtick in INTs, we'll be just fine. 

Agree. They run the air raid but it’s not the typical version. Running the ball is important. And they’ve been successful. 

I wonder how many of the 5,000 yard passers were on winning teams. 

11 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The article says 12.  

9 from Texas.  

Graham Harrell twice.  

It’s not an exclusive club but it doesn’t take long to call the roll.

GO MEAN GREEN

That seems pretty exclusive. There are 100+ QBs that play every year for the past 100 years and it has only happened 12 times in over 10k attempts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I wonder how many of the 5,000 yard passers were on winning teams. 

Looking at sports-reference, there have been 15 passers with 5,000 yards in a season (with repeat QBs like Harrell).

14 winning teams.

1 losing team (5-7 Mahomes' Tech).

Passing a lot on a team built to pass a lot works, y'all.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I mean I didn't read the article cause it's so weird this specific site exists and that it really is just about Texas teams.

But I don't think Fine hits 5,000 yards.

That's not a knock, this offense is more balanced than we give it credit for.

Littrell's 2 seasons: 50/50 pass/rush.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Aldo said:

Looking at sports-reference, there have been 15 passers with 5,000 yards in a season (with repeat QBs like Harrell).

14 winning teams.

1 losing team (5-7 Mahomes' Tech).

Passing a lot on a team built to pass a lot works, y'all.

Well...there  you go. Thanks for looking that up

I also agree....our offense isn't really designed to throw for 5,000 yards. We run the air raid but not the typical Mike Leach throw it 60 times a game version. 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:42 AM, Wag Tag said:

This has to be the best 1-2 punch we have seen at UNT maybe in history? Now if we have a running game we will be able to add the 3rd punch. Guyton needs to crush it! GMG

Guyton could be a game changer. He will get a lot of double teams.  Will be interesting to see what schemes the coaches come up with to get the ball in his hand and take avenge of the other players who are receiving weaker coverage 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2