FAU at North Texas Game Moved up to Thursday

UNTFan23

I'm sure they won't say it but no way the Ath Dep like the 8:30 Thursday slot. But CBSSN owns our tier I rights. They dictate the date and time. Which isn't just CUSA, the Pac 12 bitches about their start times non-stop. My guess is as our program gets better, this will happen more often. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

I'm sure they won't say it but no way the Ath Dep like the 8:30 Thursday slot. But CBSSN owns our tier I rights. They dictate the date and time. Which isn't just CUSA, the Pac 12 bitches about their start times non-stop. My guess is as our program gets better, this will happen more often. 

This is true. But its also why the MWC seems to think that some TV contracts are simply not worth the money they bring over others that do not have that drawback.

Short term a weekday game can even be nice. However, having games regularly on weekdays, reduces the habit of people going to games. That habit is important in keeping fan bases bound long term. Once people get used to spending saturdays without watching their favorite team, they may just stick with the alternative program in fall.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2018 at 11:10 AM, Prettylittleeagle said:

Whelp...this is going to be a hard one for us out-of-towners to make...

Don’t you know how bad your empty but paid for seats are gonna look on TV?

Ima have to email Wren about selling you tickets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Looking at both schedules we will have an advantage. We get a bye week, go to ODU, and play them at home. FAU plays 4 in a row then travels to Texas on a short week.

We will need every advantage to hopefully beat an undefeated ranked team in front of a sellout crowd broadcasted on national t.v. with a quite a few recruits in attendance.

• Upvote 3

The short week and late start will help us immensely. I'm not sure it will be enough to overcome the talent gap but anything helps.

That said, to make this move for CBSSN is one of the few bad decisions by the AD thus far. Our conference television agreement is complete trash I don't understand why if we're making pennies we don't at least have an agreement with ESPN. The casual fan still watches ESPN, CBSSN is no where on the radar. We are not getting any new eyeballs on our product, I don't really see the benefit.

I could see a big student turnout and that would be great for TV, I can also see an awful turnout if we have a .500 record or so coming in to the game. Still I can't help but roll my eyes at the people complaining about getting home at 12 or 1 on a weeknight.. live a little guys.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

42 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The short week and late start will help us immensely. I'm not sure it will be enough to overcome the talent gap but anything helps.

That said, to make this move for CBSSN is one of the few bad decisions by the AD thus far. Our conference television agreement is complete trash I don't understand why if we're making pennies we don't at least have an agreement with ESPN. The casual fan still watches ESPN, CBSSN is no where on the radar. We are not getting any new eyeballs on our product, I don't really see the benefit.

I could see a big student turnout and that would be great for TV, I can also see an awful turnout if we have a .500 record or so coming in to the game. Still I can't help but roll my eyes at the people complaining about getting home at 12 or 1 on a weeknight.. live a little guys.

What exactly is the fault of the AD? Should they refuse to play Thursday and forfeit the game because our alumni can't be bothered to attend?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

I think this is a huge risk/reward for CUSA--they seem to be going all in on the idea that these two teams will be their best two and want to showcase the game in a national broadcast. I think that is a very realistic possibility. I could see this feasibly being a sellout, especially if we are in first place in the West and FAU is in first place in the East--they'll be ranked if their only loss is to OU, we could be ranked if we beat Arkansas...

But if we aren't able to keep up our end of the bargain, the crowd that night will not be that good. Thursday night games early in the season usually do pretty well, but as the season progresses, if you aren't that good, the attendance drops anyway, but ESPECIALLY bad for a weeknight game--and that isn't considering any weather issues, which we know is somewhat possible. Some of those weeknight games in the SBC, MAC, or MWC can look dreadful on TV when the host team is not having a good season.

• Upvote 1