Revisiting the 2014 Signing Class

I thought it would be interesting to look back at the class that just completed their fourth year on campus.  Some have graduated, a few have a year of eligibility left and others left the program for one reason or another.  Here is how they rated at the time of signing based upon 247's system.

1. Caleb Chumley: 3 star, .8289

2. Tee Goree: 3 star, .8247

3.  Fonzale Davis: 3 star, .8137 (never made it to campus)

4.  Willy Ivery: 3 star, .8113

5.  Brandon Garner: 2 star, .7955

6.  Jalen Adams: 2 star, .7942

7.  Connor Means: 2 star, .7915

8.  Christopher Miles: 2 star, .7817

9.  Andrew Jones: 2 star, .7783

10.  Okeeron Rutherford: 2 star, .7783

11.  Shaquel Jackson: 2 star, .7724 (don't believe he made it to campus)

12.  Tillman Johnson: 2 star, .7683

13.  Jeffery Wilson: 2 star, .7676

14.  Avery Fortenberry: 2 star, .7667

15.  Johnavhan Graham: 2 star, .7650 (never made it to campus)

16.  Jalen Montgomery: 2 star, .7531

17.  Akii Smith: 2 star, .7518

18.  Kishawn McClain: 2 star, .7330

19.  Trevor Moore: 2 star, .7330

20.  TJ Tauaalo: 2 star, .7330

21.  Josh Greer: 2 star, .7000

22.  Matthew Dash: 2 star, .7000

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

Overall this class was pretty awful. You have McClain, Moore and Wilson as studs. TJ, Garner, Johnson, Miles as a solid contributors but outside of that not much to write home about. 

Would have loved to see Ivery in this (current)offense. I know he played 2015, but that was the first year. He could've been a big time player for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hard to truly assess this class based solely on on-field production because their careers may have been those most impacted by the coaching change.

I'm proud of the guys who have finished (or will finish) their careers wearing green and supporting the culture change we've seen in Denton.  When I think of Brandon Garner, I see him as being one of the key members of the team who embraced the new staff and grew into a leadership position based on his willingness to do so.

I assume many others in this class could be described similarly - only difference being Garner has been more featured in Beyond the Green.

• Lovely Take 2

On 5/29/2018 at 9:58 PM, MGNation92 said:

Overall this class was pretty awful. You have McClain, Moore and Wilson as studs. TJ, Garner, Johnson, Miles as a solid contributors but outside of that not much to write home about. 

Would have loved to see Ivery in this (current)offense. I know he played 2015, but that was the first year. He could've been a big time player for us.

To that list I would add Aaron Fortenberry.  He was a starter and if his dad hadn't died he could've been a solid player as well.

Edited by GrayEagle

44 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I could be wrong, but I think Kaydon Kirby was the player whose dad died and he ended up leaving with eligibility still remaining.  He was a walkon from Flower Mound that wound up earning the starting center position, along with a scholarship.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:51 PM, GrayEagle said:

To that list I would add Aaron Fortenberry.  He was a starter and if his dad hadn't died he could've been a solid player as well.

Avery Fortenberry, Aaron's younger brother, was a part of the 2014 class as a grayshirt. He never played a meaningful snap here, though.

And yes, Kirby was a starter whose father passed before his senior season. Kirby came in fall 2012 as a walkon freshman.