Starting Lineup

agw0038

Hey Guys and Happy Summer to everyone!

I thought it might be fun to go through possible starting lineups for the upcoming season.

So my thought is that Ryan Woodridge gets to moved to the 2-gaurd to make room for Gibson at the 1. Roosevelt and Adbul on the wings and Zach Simmons in the middle.

1. Gibson

2. Wooldridge 

3. Smart

4. Mohammed 

5. Simmons

Thoughts?

Also, how good can Jordan Duffy be next year? How good is the Russian kid? Who else do you guys think can help us coming off the bench?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, agw0038 said:

I thought it might be fun to go through possible starting lineups for the upcoming season.

So my thought is that Ryan Woodridge gets to moved to the 2-gaurd to make room for Gibson at the 1. Roosevelt and Adbul on the wings and Zach Simmons in the middle.

1. Gibson

2. Wooldridge 

3. Smart

4. Mohammed 

5. Simmons

Thoughts?

Also, how good can Jordan Duffy be next year? How good is the Russian kid? Who else do you guys think can help us coming off the bench?

I expect Woolridge to be a combo guard.  I think we'll see Gibson playing some 1 with Woolridge at 2, like you have, but I would also expect to see Woolridge slide over to point so Wise can come on.

Wise & Smart on the floor together....   Gotta be a nickname for that tandem somewhere.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I expect Woolridge to be a combo guard.  I think we'll see Gibson playing some 1 with Woolridge at 2, like you have, but I would also expect to see Woolridge slide over to point so Wise can come on.

Wise & Smart on the floor together....   Gotta be a nickname for that tandem somewhere.

Could all it the Ben Franklin lineup. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, agw0038 said:

1. Gibson

2. Wooldridge 

3. Smart

4. Mohammed 

5. Simmons

Thoughts?

I don't think that Woolridge would play off the ball, even with a healthy Gibson. Gibson was healthy and starting at the beginning of last year but he played off the ball and Woolridge ran point. 

Defensively, however, you could see Woolridge guarding an off-the-ball player possibly if Draper, Duffy, or Gibson are in the game next to him. Here is what I have

1 - Ryan Woolridge
2 - Jorden Duffy
3 - Roosevelt Smart
4 - Mark Tikhonenko
5 - Zachary Simmons

Bench
1/2 - Umoja Gibson
2/3 - Larry Wise
2/3/4 - Abdul Mohamed
2/3/4 - Michael Miller
4 - Jahmiah Simmons
5 - Tope Arikawe
1/2 - DJ Draper

Also, how good can Jordan Duffy be next year?

If he's starting, he'll probably be our second leading scorer. If he's at full-strength, he can be a 15 point/game guy, easily.

How good is the Russian kid?

To everyone reading this, can we please stop referring to Mark Tikhonenko as "the Russian" or "the Russian Kid?" His last name is 10 letters, 4 syllables. It's really not that hard. Referring to him as the afore mentioned is just lazy. Hell, call him Tikho for short if you really want to abbreviate.

As far as how good can he be, he's the closest thing we have to a prototypical stretch-4. Which is why he had Power conference offers. Miller and J Simmons are probably further along, so they might be more likely to start at the 4 but Tikhonenko has them beat hands down in potential.

Who else do you guys think can help us coming off the bench?

I think Gibson off the bench would give us a legit 6th man and a legit backup point guard at the same time. We lacked both of those things most of last year. We also now have a bench made up entirely of guys who have some offensive skill, and can shoot free throws. Gone are the guys who brought little to nothing offensively and couldn't shoot free throws (Benford recruits), save for Woolridge. 

I also think Wise and Mohamed will be helpful as wings. They can allow guys like Smart and Duffy to play the 2 offensively and also not have to guard bigger wings defensively. Basically, they can bring some of what Lawson and Holston brought defensively, while also being able to stretch the floor from 3 and not be liabilities offensively.

Mike Miller really brings a lot on both ends now that he is shooting jumpers right-handed, as evidenced by the CBI. Jahmiah Simmons is a player who played, started, and produced for Mccasland as a true freshman at Arkansas State. He's not a great three-point shooter but it looks like he's working on it so should at least have the capability. He knows how to play in the paint on both ends, and can score down low, rebound, and even block shots despite being by just 6'4".

Last, Arikawe and Draper both are knowns. Arikawe is a solid backup 5 and Draper is likely an end of the bench guy now but capable of lighting it up from deep and playing adequate defense.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Good thread.

Not sure how it will play out but Holy Kimoli I love the depth...

I say you have to have Duffy in the starting lineup.  He showed me a LOT at the tail end of the season.

Also don’t count out the Russian according to my sources.

This kind of reminds me of some of Johnny’s teams in that the issue is not talent but how to get enough minutes to everyone and maintain good chemistry and keep everyone happy.

super excited about this season!