Track and Field/ Soccer Complex Video

Wow...thanks for posting.   I was wondering how the progress was coming along.     In the original plan I thought the seating was going to be for 1,500.    I can't speak for track, but for big soccer home games vs SMU, TCU, OU, Baylor, etc. soccer can exceed 1000.

Beautiful facility! 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Is seating for 1,000 enough?  What does the current stadium seat and what are our average crowds?

I’ve never seen a track and field event at North Texas but I’ve been to many soccer games and they draw a decent size crowd every time. The crowd was maybe a hundred people but the stands are small and uncovered facing directly into the sun. The 1,000 seat capacity should be enough in my opinion. Although I would expect to see bigger crowds this upcoming season. 

If we can consistently get 1000 to games/events I'm sure there will be an opportunity to expand.

Never been a huge fan of track although I respect the sport.  If we are going to do though -- let's do it right.

I guess my comment wasn't very clear regarding capacity.  I hadn't really thought about the track events since it has been so long that we have been able to host one.  I was referencing soccer.  I haven't been to games at the current venue but did attend the North Texas/Texas Tech tournament game in Lubbock a few years ago and that game was standing room only.  I looked up their venue, which is very nice, for reference at it seats 1,500.  I hope we get to the point where more seats are needed.  

Either way, this looks like a fantastic venue for soccer and track.  I have know Coach Sheffield for a long time and am anxious to see the results he can produce with a dedicated facility to recruit to and a D1 level track. It amazes me how much he has done with the crap facilities he has had to work with over the years.

For comparison, here are some pics of Tech's facility.  Looks like our's will compare nicely which should only enhance recruiting and the soccer program.

Related image

Related image

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Lovely Take 2

I couldn't agree with you more UNTlifer.   I had in mind TT facility as a benchmark of what our facility could be and it certainly looks like it will be right there..... (I've also seen TT facility a few times while my daughter played at UNT).    Hedlund has done an outstanding job of recruiting and drawing fans to see a consistently good product, all the while having very average facilities.    My hope is with the upgraded facilities it will draw more students (will be nice not to buy food from a trailer and pee in a trailer ..lol), along with helping Hedlund recruit that extra depth to take his ladies deeper into the tourney.  You can see from the 2016 numbers the Big 12 supports their women's soccer teams pretty well.   In the past we've beat TCU, Baylor, OU, TT so  I'm hopeful we can also beat them in attendance someday!

image.png.8767793b119fde020e1eba0dbcb87914.png

• Lovely Take 1

1,000 seats for track is totally ridicules! One advantage the football program enjoyed back in the 70's was hosting the UIL Boys Regional Track Meets. Prospects from all over North Texas would participate and have unofficial visits to NTSU; as most HS football players also participate in track. The home side of the press box was always full. This decision appears to be based on what the track program has looked like recently instead of what it can be. The NCAA Track championships are going on now in Eugene, OR. There are a number of smaller programs with the fastest times in the country. Why not UNT? Never been to a soccer game in my life and have zero interest. Next to football/basketball (equal interest) Track is and has always been my 3rd favorite sport. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 6/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

I hate having the soccer game field inside a track as it puts the fans farther away from the action.  However, I understand space is precious. 

This does bother me quite a bit but there are plenty of college soccer facilities that share space with the track team. I do, however hope the AD eventually decides to build a standalone facility for soccer and give the track team the full space in this venue. For what it's worth I've seen a few soccer games at SMU and never really noticed the track being an issue.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

1,000 seats for track is totally ridicules! One advantage the football program enjoyed back in the 70's was hosting the UIL Boys Regional Track Meets. Prospects from all over North Texas would participate and have unofficial visits to NTSU; as most HS football players also participate in track. The home side of the press box was always full. This decision appears to be based on what the track program has looked like recently instead of what it can be. The NCAA Track championships are going on now in Eugene, OR. There are a number of smaller programs with the fastest times in the country. Why not UNT? Never been to a soccer game in my life and have zero interest. Next to football/basketball (equal interest) Track is and has always been my 3rd favorite sport. 

A) 1,000 seats doesn't mean 1,000 capacity. Literally infinite standing room, grass space tickets. 

B) I'm sure they would like to have it bigger or separate. Money isn't infinite and candidly the athletic department can only spend so much on sports like track/soccer. I honestly have a hard time with spending $14 million on anything other than football right now. 

C) Stadiums like this are easily expandable. I'm sure if the need is demonstrated, it will be on the list.

If money was spent on locker rooms, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. that help us get better players then I like that call. Get that wrong now and it's much more expensive to change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/30/2018 at 10:52 AM, UNTLifer said:

I guess my comment wasn't very clear regarding capacity.  I hadn't really thought about the track events since it has been so long that we have been able to host one.  I was referencing soccer.  I haven't been to games at the current venue but did attend the North Texas/Texas Tech tournament game in Lubbock a few years ago and that game was standing room only.  I looked up their venue, which is very nice, for reference at it seats 1,500.  I hope we get to the point where more seats are needed.  

Either way, this looks like a fantastic venue for soccer and track.  I have know Coach Sheffield for a long time and am anxious to see the results he can produce with a dedicated facility to recruit to and a D1 level track. It amazes me how much he has done with the crap facilities he has had to work with over the years.

For comparison, here are some pics of Tech's facility.  Looks like our's will compare nicely which should only enhance recruiting and the soccer program.

Related image

Related image

Big difference is the track. Doesn't ruin our facility, but that's a big difference between ours and the Tech stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Big difference is the track. Doesn't ruin our facility, but that's a big difference between ours and the Tech stadium. 

And we have some covered seats. I also like the "curb appeal" of ours better. But don't like the loss in environment with the track as a barrier.

3 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

And we have some covered seats. I also like the "curb appeal" of ours better. But don't like the loss in environment with the track as a barrier.

I guess we will see what impact there is on the environment. The stands weren't necessarily right on the sideline of the current venue but definitely closer. 

Theres a soccer practice field directly to the east of this track facilIty in the master plan. That needs to be turned into a prime stand alone soccer venue. It's so close the exact same locker rooms could be used. 

Wait a minute!  Obviously I missed the memo regarding this being a combination "track and field/soccer" complex.  I thought it was a new track and field only complex?  Don't we already have a pretty nice soccer stadium for the Ladies, next to the Lovelace softball stadium?  What happens to the current soccer stadium?

What did I miss?

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Wait a minute!  Obviously I missed the memo regarding this being a combination "track and field/soccer" complex.  I thought it was a new track and field only complex?  Don't we already have a pretty nice soccer stadium for the Ladies, next to the Lovelace softball stadium?  What happens to the current soccer stadium?

What did I miss?

You did miss it!

According to Wren and John Hedlund, at the Coaches Caravan, the current field is not regulation width, and prevents NT from hosting playoff games.  The new facility will be regulation width.

The master plan that's been posted here shows a new softball field eventually being built in the main (former golf course) area, and the west side of Bonnie Brae becoming a parking/tailgating area.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2018 at 12:06 PM, ttunt1970 said:

If y’all would look at UT’s soccer field it has a track around 

That doesn't make it ideal. I went by yesterday. The stands are up (not the press box yet). The stands are right on the track, which is good. We will see how the views are but long term I hope the athletic departments amends that master plan and builds a dedicated soccer venue like Texas Tech, TCU, Texas A&M, etc. That program deserves it and it wouldn't be expensive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1