The Newest Helmet Technology: VICIS Zero1

I think it was my sophomore year of high school in Indiana when I was first issued a hard plastic helmet.  That would be circa 1960-1961. Those early plastic helmets were awful. In the years prior to that, we had really snazzy leather helmets in school colors with a design that looked like a Notre Dame knockoff.  To be fair, we were less than 10 miles from their campus.

Those leather helmets were the best shock absorbers and most comfortable, by far. Those VICIS  helmets described in the video look interesting but I'm not sold.  They look a little TOO soft and the material looks like it would tear up over a relatively short time. JMO

8 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I think it was my sophomore year of high school in Indiana when I was first issued a hard plastic helmet.  That would be circa 1960-1961. Those early plastic helmets were awful. In the years prior to that, we had really snazzy leather helmets in school colors with a design that looked like a Notre Dame knockoff.  To be fair, we were less than 10 miles from their campus.

Those leather helmets were the best shock absorbers and most comfortable, by far. Those VICIS  helmets described in the video look interesting but I'm not sold.  They look a little TOO soft and the material looks like it would tear up over a relatively short time. JMO

I hear ya.  But I think we're to the point where if it's successful in its claims one season of use will suffice, and they'll be looked upon as we look at shoes.  One season and they're done.

Rick

This new technology could not only protect the athletes significantly better, but also save football from the concussion related issues that are on the horizon. The original intent of the plastic helmets was to reduce skull fractures, which it does a great job. However, I do not think they really understood the process of a concussion decades ago like we do now...They unknowingly created a helmet that facilitated concussions....Good intentions, but bad design. 

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I hear ya.  But I think we're to the point where if it's successful in its claims one season of use will suffice, and they'll be looked upon as we look at shoes.  One season and they're done.

Rick

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

No mention of what they might cost...

That was my first thought when I read Rick's reply above.  If they only last a season, that could get real expensive in a hurry. Agree with Rick that shoes are expendable items; helmets tend to be big bucks. 

Rick seems to insinuate (and it's hard for me to disagree) that you can't put a price on player safety and long term health.

And speaking of the cost of helmets, how many helmets as issued per player ?  We have green, white, Black, chrome, matte green, shiney green that I can think of.  Are each of these individual helmets or simply the same helmet with a bunch of different covers ?

Edited by greenjoe

34 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

And speaking of the cost of helmets, how many helmets as issued per player ?  We have green, white, Black, chrome, matte green, shines green that I can think of.  Are each of these individual helmets or simply the same helmet with a bunch of different covers ?

Wow! I totally overlooked that aspect. If the new design will only last one year, it cuts back on potential gameday "looks" because I don't think all of the options you cite are just "slipcovers". It may depend to some extent on exactly what material the exterior is made from and what could be done with it without surface damage. JMO.

If these are clearly shown to reduce concussions, the NFL will jump right on board.  They can afford it.  Spending an extra million or so per season is peanuts compared to the billions of dollars they could be looking at in terms of future CTE lawsuits.  I would imagine FBS teams will have to find a way--easy for Bama, UT, and Ohio State; tough for C-USA and MAC teams.  After that, though...if these helmets cost $950 apiece, and average a one- or two-year lifespan (a wild guess), not too many high schools or youth football programs will be able to afford them.  So where does that leave them, when they know they're sending kids onto the field with far less head protection than others have?

• Lovely Take 1

On 5/25/2018 at 10:20 PM, Christopher Walker said:

Similar question leaning into your insight: would firefighter helmets benefit from this kind of design?

I'm sure they would.

As for cost, I spoke with a parent yesterday whose son is in high school and getting fitted for one this week, and she said they are around the $500-$600 range.  

If this helmet does as it claims that will drop quickly.  My son's Xenith, which is an excellent design, was $250 and I'd have no problem doubling that if it meant giving him that kind of protection through high school. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1

Would be nice to see the NCAA supplement the cost of these helmets for EVERY member school. Take it out before they distribute the $$ to schools (would be interesting to see the P5's complain and then have to justify why all players safety is not important).

On 5/26/2018 at 1:33 PM, greenjoe said:

And speaking of the cost of helmets, how many helmets as issued per player ?  We have green, white, Black, chrome, matte green, shines green that I can think of.  Are each of these individual helmets or simply the same helmet with a bunch of different covers ?

They have four helmets: White, Black, Green, Chrome

The decals are changed per week to match the particular uniform combo

On 5/25/2018 at 8:50 PM, UNTLifer said:

Go back to leather.

I am only half joking.  The plastic shell was introduced for safetynof the wearer but it quickly became an tool to inflict damage on the opponent and tackling technique was thrown out the window in exchange for seeing how hard one could profect themselves in to the offensive player just trying to knock them down.  Improved technology led to an attitude of being invinsible.  Leather helmets would eliminate or minimize this practice and force defenders to return to proper tackling.

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Individual non-team price was quoted to me at $900.

Rick

They must have come way down off their price, as of last fall that was what they were asking.   Crazy. 

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

They must have come way down off their price, as of last fall that was what they were asking.   Crazy. 

That's how everything is when it first comes out.  I believe the Seahawks are going to be the first NFL team to sign on, maybe the Eagles also?  But once several major pro and college teams sign on that price will drop.

Rick