DRC: Littrell -- English on course to make return

Brett Vito

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Is this an open wager for the board? Or is this a specified offer to an individual? 

Open, but a 1 time offer not multiple wagers.  I'm more of a beverage wager than monetary.  I'm good for a few beers at a home game. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ll just go ahead and state what everyone is thinking.  If English can return as 75% of what he was we may step to the next level.  It’s just the truth.

There is 0 doubt.   You ever get to watch him play full speed? Man he was unblockable when he had to sit out for us.  He cut 30+ pounds so I can only imagine how much more explosive and quick he is.  I'm crossing my fingers he plays bc our defense won't look the same with him playing.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ll just go ahead and state what everyone is thinking.  If English can return as 75% of what he was we may step to the next level.  It’s just the truth.

Harry, I like the way you think!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Booger was amazing and probably the most dominant player at NT I've seen but he also had a great LB corps and pretty good secondary behind him. A dominant English makes us better, but the back seven have to step up to get this team to another level. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Booger was amazing and probably the most dominant player at NT I've seen but he also had a great LB corps and pretty good secondary behind him. A dominant English makes us better, but the back seven have to step up to get this team to another level. 

I agree and would add that the line he played on with the likes of Cardwell, Awasome, Daniels, etc... made it tough for teams to double him. They had to pick their poison.  Booger was special though. The best DT I remember watching at North Texas. I was in the stands during Greene's era but way too young to have any memories. 

On 5/25/2018 at 8:27 AM, MGNation92 said:

I have zero confidence whatsoever that English will play. 

I also think it's fairly sad that we are relying so much on one player to be a difference maker for us. I get that some guys are just more dynamic athletes/playmakers, but I'm fairly certain having English alone isn't going drop our PPG from 35 to 20 in one season.

Up voted this for its accuracy.  Love that English is coming back however we are still too thin on defense.  English is great but we are not talking about a sure bet Blue Chip first 3 rounds of the NFL draft player. If you have a solid defensive team with just decent depth that is only kind of player you should hope for a 15 point a game impact from.

• Lovely Take 1

On 5/26/2018 at 12:21 PM, greenminer said:

Does English have a higher college ceiling than UTSA's Davenport and UTEP's Hernandez? I'm not talking NFL/draft, since I am still baffled how Hernandez wasn't taken in the 1st.  I thought he was that good in college.

No, Davenports size and speed made him an easy 1st round projection once he figured it out his last two years.  But I think English could change games more than Davenport did, simply bc of where he plays 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 5/25/2018 at 2:14 PM, GMG24 said:

If he's healthy and plays this year I'd take a wager that he can help get that number below 30 PPG 

Lol I don't know if I can do another one. Already on the hook for some Beth Marie's for MeanGreenTexan and some Shiner for Mr. Withers if he even plays at all.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2018 at 10:21 PM, GMG24 said:

His appeal was denied. 

I really feel like what was denied, or at least what they publicly said was denied, was the appeal to allow him to play immediately.  We new the appeal was going to be denied because the NCAA had recently put in a new rule for Bryce's exact situation.  There is also a process to apply for an extra year of eligibility.  I may well be that they applied for this and were denied, but I feel like the stuff that came out publicly was regarding his attempt to play without sitting a year.

On a separate note, it looks like Bryce might be able to apply for an additional year under the same rule change that might allow Riley Mayfield an extra year.  English redshirted his freshman year, but then suffered a season ending injury last year during the pre season.  In the past, a player could not get an extra year if they did not redshirt due to an injury.  Now, it may be possible due to the rule change.

One way or another, hoping he gets the opportunity to play at least 3 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I really feel like what was denied, or at least what they publicly said was denied, was the appeal to allow him to play immediately.  We new the appeal was going to be denied because the NCAA had recently put in a new rule for Bryce's exact situation.  There is also a process to apply for an extra year of eligibility.  I may well be that they applied for this and were denied, but I feel like the stuff that came out publicly was regarding his attempt to play without sitting a year.

On a separate note, it looks like Bryce might be able to apply for an additional year under the same rule change that might allow Riley Mayfield an extra year.  English redshirted his freshman year, but then suffered a season ending injury last year during the pre season.  In the past, a player could not get an extra year if they did not redshirt due to an injury.  Now, it may be possible due to the rule change.

One way or another, hoping he gets the opportunity to play at least 3 years.

That's what I am thinking about English. he make get another year. If so, that would be some really good news.

• 2 months later...