DRC: Littrell -- English on course to make return

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He’ll be ready barring another freak injury. Don’t know if he’ll be game-ready enough to unseat Tauaalo as the starter, but having him in the 2deep will be huge.

I don't want this to come off as condescending, but English at 3/4 speed is better than Tauaalo at full speed.  Bryce is a freak and absolute game changer, I really hope he can play this year so y'all don't think I'm crazy.  

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

@Brett Vito the NCAA rule about transferring due to sick family member is not supposed to cost the player a year of eligibility (hence the reason he was not able to play right way).  Has the ADept confirmed that Bryce is a junior?  The way I understand the rule, he should be a redshirt sophomore this year.

His appeal was denied. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

@Brett Vito the NCAA rule about transferring due to sick family member is not supposed to cost the player a year of eligibility (hence the reason he was not able to play right way).  Has the ADept confirmed that Bryce is a junior?  The way I understand the rule, he should be a redshirt sophomore this year.

The NCAA rule automatically applies for any transfer.  You have to apply for it not too; his application was denied.

• Lovely Take 1

I have zero confidence whatsoever that English will play. 

I also think it's fairly sad that we are relying so much on one player to be a difference maker for us. I get that some guys are just more dynamic athletes/playmakers, but I'm fairly certain having English alone isn't going drop our PPG from 35 to 20 in one season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I also think it's fairly sad that we are relying so much on one player to be a difference maker for us. I get that some guys are just more dynamic athletes/playmakers, but I'm fairly certain having English alone isn't going drop our PPG from 35 to 20 in one season.

Some people may still be holding out hope that he's going to be an all-conference guy, but I'm not there. 

I do think that English simply being in the 2-deep at nose tackle keeps Young at end, which makes the DL stronger.  We'll be better simply with his presence because without him, we have no depth behind Tauaalo and Young will have to move back over.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some people may still be holding out hope that he's going to be an all-conference guy, but I'm not there. 

I do think that English simply being in the 2-deep at nose tackle keeps Young at end, which makes the DL stronger.  We'll be better simply with his presence because without him, we have no depth behind Tauaalo and Young will have to move back over.

I absolutely agree with that. I'm just not sure you can rely on a guy like English coming into the season at maybe 75%(if at all)? I won't be surprised to see LeBlanc in there a lot more than some people are comfortable. Especially with a full spring/summer/fall practice under his belt.

I agree with @GMG24.  Bryce is a game changing type athlete.  First interior lineman to remind me of BK since BK.  

Even at 75% he is a different type of player than we have had in a long time.  

And yes, a guy running amok on the inside makes everyone beside and behind him better.  Ends get more 1 on 1, linebacker don't have to fight of guards when those guards are too busy elsewhere, db's don't have to cover for as long when the QB is on his back.  

5 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

If he's healthy and plays this year I'd take a wager that he can help get that number below 30 PPG