19' OLB Offer: Gabriel Murphy; Bishop Lynch - 3 star .8477

• 4 weeks later...

I think we are winning battles against NutsaCK now because Frank Wilson has proven to be like Tony Benford, a decent recruiter and salesman, but a horrible coach and molder of young men. I mean Grant McCasland, in his first season, got more out of Benford's players than Benford could ever dream of. Wilson had all that talent and NutsaCK didn't live up to the hype. I would say they regressed. Sure he had Davenport, but I could have coached Davenport and he still would have made it because he was just that damn good. Kids are starting to realize that under Wilson, their talent may regress. Littrell has proven he can take kids that no one wants on the FBS level and make them stars. Ala Mason Fine, Mike Law, etc. These kids are figuring out that they will get better as players and men at UNT.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Venson said:

I think we are winning battles against NutsaCK now because Frank Wilson has proven to be like Tony Benford, a decent recruiter and salesman, but a horrible coach and molder of young men. I mean Grant McCasland, in his first season, got more out of Benford's players than Benford could ever dream of. Wilson had all that talent and NutsaCK didn't live up to the hype. I would say they regressed. Sure he had Davenport, but I could have coached Davenport and he still would have made it because he was just that damn good. Kids are starting to realize that under Wilson, their talent may regress. Littrell has proven he can take kids that no one wants on the FBS level and make them stars. Ala Mason Fine, Mike Law, etc. These kids are figuring out that they will get better as players and men at UNT.

I agree with what you are saying but we shouldn’t discount the fact that Wilson has a strong selling point to make on p5 caliber defensive linemen with the Davenport story.  Having someone go that high in the NFL draft is a powerful tool - especially at that key position- that can be wielded.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree with what you are saying but we shouldn’t discount the fact that Wilson has a strong selling point to make on p5 caliber defensive linemen with the Davenport story.  Having someone go that high in the NFL draft is a powerful tool - especially at that key position- that can be wielded.

That's a good sell, but Davenport arrived at UTSA 2 years before Wilson. If I am an opposing coach, I would say that Wilson was just the beneficiary of a talented guy that was left over from the previous regime. However, he does have that selling point because we have to go all the way back to 2004 for our last draft pick. and I would dare say all the way back to Joe Greene for a high number 1 so I certainly can see that selling point.

27 minutes ago, Venson said:

That's a good sell, but Davenport arrived at UTSA 2 years before Wilson. If I am an opposing coach, I would say that Wilson was just the beneficiary of a talented guy that was left over from the previous regime. However, he does have that selling point because we have to go all the way back to 2004 for our last draft pick. and I would dare say all the way back to Joe Greene for a high number 1 so I certainly can see that selling point.

You are right that he lucked out in that he himself did not land the kid, and a lot of bigger schools than us missed out him.

My point is that NFL draft lure is strong.  I think La. Tech does a nice job on it and its something I would like to see us improve on.

The major P5 schools have shrines developed to show recruits their NFL draft success stories and there is a good reason for that.  

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

You are right that he lucked out in that he himself did not land the kid, and a lot of bigger schools than us missed out him.

My point is that NFL draft lure is strong.  I think La. Tech does a nice job on it and its something I would like to see us improve on.

The major P5 schools have shrines developed to show recruits their NFL draft success stories and there is a good reason for that.  

100% agree.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Improving implies we are actively doing something. 

I would like to see it happen in general. We are flirting with 2 decades of ineptitude as far as the NFL draft is concerned. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Improving implies we are actively doing something. 

I would like to see it happen in general. We are flirting with 2 decades of ineptitude as far as the NFL draft is concerned. 

Ben,  SL hasn't recruited a single HS kid that could be eligible for the draft yet.   A little premature to start judging his recruits on a lack of NFL draft success.  

17 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Ben,  SL hasn't recruited a single HS kid that could be eligible for the draft yet.   A little premature to start judging his recruits on a lack of NFL draft success.  

Cerebus, that wasn't a slight at Littrell and Co., but the lack of success as a whole in regards to NFL draft production. So, uh, simmer down turbo. 

And this is Ben, but I am not Kevin Durant'ing. I had to create another account.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Venson said:

I think we are winning battles against NutsaCK now because Frank Wilson has proven to be like Tony Benford, a decent recruiter and salesman, but a horrible coach and molder of young men.

Not even close.  At no point in Tony's tenure, first or last year, was a local outlet projecting undefeated.  Not even a winning record.

I get what you're trying to say, tho.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Cerebus, that wasn't a slight at Littrell and Co., but the lack of success as a whole in regards to NFL draft production. So, uh, simmer down turbo. 

And this is Ben, but I am not Kevin Durant'ing. I had to create another account.  

Off topic, but what is Kevin Durant'ing?

• Haha 1