Wyoming Sets a Value on the Exposure Their Football Team Brings Them

Cerebus

Study: Wyoming Cowboys Football exposure nets nearly $160 million

LARAMIE, Wyo. — University of Wyoming Football generated a phenomenal amount of excitement and national exposure throughout this past year.  As a part of that national exposure, the media exposure associated with Wyoming Football has been valued at over $159 million for the period from Aug. 1, 2017 through May 14, 2018.

Joyce Julius & Associates Inc. of Ann Arbor, Mich., an independently owned and operated research company that has provided independent sports, special events and entertainment program evaluation since 1985 put together the media exposure valuation.

I'm sure The Wren knows, but I noticed that this study was performed by Joyce Julius and Associates in case he wants to entertain such a study.  The previous administration would most assuredly have approached Orange Julius.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

IMO surveys or studies like this always come out with the conclusion who ever pays for them wants.    There are just too many intangibles such as brand awareness that cannot be really be evaluated.     

Even if you believe that Wyoming got $150m in extra media coverage.   Being Wyoming would never spend that kind of money on advertising, what is the real benefit.   Did this drive extra donations and add students?  I suspect Wyoming would have a problem supporting a tenth of the benefits cited by any objective data.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I can assure you from my visit to the University of Wyoming campus last week that the figure quoted is supportable. Although Laramie is a third the size of Denton it is a thousand times more supportive of its athletic programs and of the university as a whole. Their facilities including a state of the art indoor practice facility are outstanding. It is easy for UNT to stand on the outside and throw cold water on studies or proven successes of other universities' athletic programs, but just visit these campuses that you criticize, and you may understand that although we may have made great strides , we are still light years behind even our peers much less the P5.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

I’m currently in Laramie visiting family that attends the University of Wyoming, I only say that to provide some context on what I’m about to say. First I understand the point you’re trying to make but these are two vastly different programs that I feel should not be compared. First of all...there is nothing out here. Laramie is small and supportive because what else are they going to do? The town lives or dies on the university. The IPF is a must up here, it’s Wyoming! North Texas is in a bigger market and has to compete with big time programs to get attention, Wyoming simply doesn’t have to do that. Everyone will eventually see this for themselves in 2026 I believe. 

GMG 

• Lovely Take 2

On 5/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, DallasGreen said:

I can assure you from my visit to the University of Wyoming campus last week that the figure quoted is supportable. Although Laramie is a third the size of Denton it is a thousand times more supportive of its athletic programs and of the university as a whole. Their facilities including a state of the art indoor practice facility are outstanding. It is easy for UNT to stand on the outside and throw cold water on studies or proven successes of other universities' athletic programs, but just visit these campuses that you criticize, and you may understand that although we may have made great strides , we are still light years behind even our peers much less the P5.

I’m not throwing shade at them. I just call BS on arbitrary numbers that don’t pass the sniff test.