Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Does UTEP start factoring in C-USA West?

Head Coach is Dana Dimel who had success as an assistant at K-State.  I recall he struggled mightily as a head coach at Houston.  Still a respected guy.

They have Chico as their OC and I noticed Mike Simmonds is their o-line coach.   I have always felt like UTEP could be a decent program with the right coaching and recruiting focus.  It may take them a couple of years but I could see them being a tougher opponent pretty quickly.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Head Coach is Dana Dimel who had success as an assistant at K-State.  I recall he struggled mightily as a head coach at Houston.  Still a respected guy.

They have Chico as their OC and I noticed Mike Simmonds is their o-line coach.   I have always felt like UTEP could be a decent program with the right coaching and recruiting focus.  It may take them a couple of years but I could see them being a tougher opponent pretty quickly.

Going to need a very intelligent QB & WR corps to grasp chico's playbook unless he's simplified between 2015 & now.

• Upvote 1

Not on the UTEP bandwagon, but with a new AD, FB, and BB coaches there seems to be a growing interest, similar to our recent changes. Will be interesting to follow. Interested to see how Chico does (he does seem to put his heart into it)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This is a good joke.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

For the benefit of the CUSA image nationally, I hope they can pull themselves out the cellar quickly.

As for sustained success, given how long they've hoped for an invite to the MWC, I suspect that if they demonstrate that they're substantially improved across the athletic department by consistently challenging for division titles in football and conference titles in men's hoops, they will be very aggressive trying to find a way to saddle up with a new conference with a geographical footprint that better fits their needs

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

UTEP has a great run about once every decade.

They have a solid culture, the city loves their Miners! but not a ton of resources.  I don't think anyone will ever see them at the top of ranking of CUSA football budgets.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Demil is the the guy they need, and I predict Chico will have another opportunity to be an interim head coach within the next 4 seasons.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not on the UTEP bandwagon, but with a new AD, FB, and BB coaches there seems to be a growing interest, similar to our recent changes. Will be interesting to follow. Interested to see how Chico does (he does seem to put his heart into it)

Locks have been flying off the shelves at local hardware stores.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2018 at 12:48 PM, Harry said:

Is that the same Mike Simmons who stated to meet him in the parking lot after the game?

• Haha 1