Softball

Wonder if there will be a coaching change after another disappointing season.  Kee only winning year at NT was her first with a 31-22 record.  Unfortunately after that season, Kee lost a lot of her better players because of undisclosed reasons.   The last couple of years she seems to have stopped her player turnover problems, but she has an overall record of 122-144.  Not horrible but NT really has not been close to any CUSA championships.  

I don't know what her contract status is.  NT also should return most of the team next season.  It will be interesting to see how Baker handles this program.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Our focus should not be on hiring a coach that has local connections. Softball is a sport that does not pay coaches as well as the big 3 (football, basketball, and baseball). That is to our advantage. We could and should go out and hire a major name that will resonate with softball recruits on a national level. Melyssa Lombardi should be that target. She has been the associate head coach at Oklahoma since 2007. That means she has been a major part of winning 3 of the last 6 NCAA Softball Tournament Titles. And, to the best of my knowledge she is currently earning about $130,000 a year at OU. In my opinion, hiring her away should be a no-brainer.

Her Bio. If anyone can find a better candidate, please post.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210266768

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Our focus should not be on hiring a coach that has local connections. Softball is a sport that does not pay coaches as well as the big 3 (football, basketball, and baseball). That is to our advantage. We could and should go out and hire a major name that will resonate with softball recruits on a national level. Melyssa Lombardi should be that target. She has been the associate head coach at Oklahoma since 2007. That means she has been a major part of winning 3 of the last 6 NCAA Softball Tournament Titles. And, to the best of my knowledge she is currently earning about $130,000 a year at OU. In my opinion, hiring her away should be a no-brainer.

Won't find a better bio. Doesn't make it realistic. I had the same thought originally but it's a pipe dream. As I recall, Kee made less than $70k. My guess is no one in CUSA makes more than $100k. 

Lombardi makes $185k according to the OU campus paper below. So as excited as I am about UNT, don't think we could get someone to take a 50% cut to take our job (which would require us to double the current salary to offer).

Breaking down the figure further, Gasso's biggest jump in pay came from unrestricted private funds, which are derived from fundraising, promotions and personal services. This number increased from $145,000 to $445,000. Her base salary grew from $250,000 to $280,000, and the remaining $50,000 comes from other unrestricted private funds.

She wasn't the only coach rewarded for the back-to-back national championships. Hitting coach J.T. Gasso will make $125,000, up from $83,400, and pitching coach Melyssa Lombardi was given a bump from $109,000 to $185,000.

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Also, highly doubtful that UNT would pay $130k for softball. I hope we do but that would by far be the highest salary in CUSA.

9 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Won't find a better bio. Doesn't make it realistic. I had the same thought originally but it's a pipe dream. As I recall, Kee made less than $70k. My guess is no one in CUSA makes more than $100k. 

Lombardi makes $185k according to the OU campus paper below. So as excited as I am about UNT, don't think we could get someone to take a 50% cut to take our job (which would require us to double the current salary to offer).

Breaking down the figure further, Gasso's biggest jump in pay came from unrestricted private funds, which are derived from fundraising, promotions and personal services. This number increased from $145,000 to $445,000. Her base salary grew from $250,000 to $280,000, and the remaining $50,000 comes from other unrestricted private funds.

She wasn't the only coach rewarded for the back-to-back national championships. Hitting coach J.T. Gasso will make $125,000, up from $83,400, and pitching coach Melyssa Lombardi was given a bump from $109,000 to $185,000.

Thanks for finding the updated numbers. In my opinion, Lombardi is not going to inherit the OU program. I think Gasso's son will. And yes, $185,000 is very high for a C-USA softball coach. Personally, I believe investing $200,000 in Lombardi would guarantee North Texas becomes a nation power in softball, and in my opinion that is a small price to pay. I'm sure our athletic department could adjust their budgets to free up the funds and make this happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

Personally, I believe investing $200,000 in Lombardi would guarantee North Texas becomes a nation power in softball, and in my opinion that is a small price to pay. I'm sure our athletic department could adjust their budgets to free up the funds and make this happen.

Any suggestions on where they could "adjust their budgets"?  It seems they could have had dirt turned on the IPF months ago if that's all there were to it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Any suggestions on where they could "adjust their budgets"?  It seems they could have had dirt turned on the IPF months ago if that's all there were to it.

Tell you what, you find me an office in the athletic center, hand me the budgets, and I will move $200,000 to make it work. You might not like where I move the money from, but I would find the funds. This isn't about not having the money, it is about what our priorities are for the money we have. I believe the success of our softball program should be a top priority within the women's sports.

Edited by Side Show Joe

Just for starters........

Angelo State's Travis Scott.

They are currently 52-7 and play in the DII World Series on May 24th.

http://www.angelosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=712&path=softball

Scott stresses the importance of fundamentals, and it has paid dividends over the last 13 seasons. Under his guidance, Angelo State has averaged 48 wins per season, hoisted five NCAA Division II South Central Region trophies and made five trips to the NCAA D-II National Championships, bringing home the national title in 2004 and finishing as national runner-ups in 2017. Scott guided ASU to six LSC Conference Championships and six LSC South Division titles in the last 13 years.  

During his reign, Scott has coached 29 ASU All-Americans, 55 NFCA All-Region players and 76 All-Lone Star Conference honorees. In addition, 19 Rambelles have been named Academic All-LSCteam under Scott.

As a five-time LSC Coach of the Year, Scott boasts a 626-209-1 record at ASU for a .748 winning percentage. Including his three seasons at Southeastern Oklahoma prior to his arrival in San Angelo, Scott has a career coaching record of 727-259-3 and a .735  winning percentage. He currently ranks 7th in NCAA D-II in winning percentage among active coaches.

A native of Ardmore, Okla., Scott brought a winning tradition with him when he arrived at ASU. In his three previous seasons as head coach at Southeastern Oklahoma – his alma mater – Scott claimed three LSC North Division titles and guided the Lady Savages to the South Central Regional Tournament in 2003. His teams also claimed a LSC championship in 2001 and finished as runners-up to ASU in 2003. Scott’s record at SOSUwas 101-50-2 and earned LSC North Coach of the Year in 2002.

Scott’s coaching legacy took roots when he was the head baseball and softball coach at Lone Grove High School in Lone Grove, Okla. His softball teams posted a cumulative record of 165-62, including four 30-plus-win seasons, five district championships, four regional titles and two runner-up finishes in the Class 3A  OSSAA State Tournament. Seven of his players garnered all-state recognition and 13 received college athletic scholarships.

As a high school baseball coach from 1993-2000, Scott posted a 131-74 record and numerous district championships and regional titles. His 1997 and 1998 teams were Class 4A state semi-finalists.

A skilled baseball player himself, Scott competed at Southeastern Oklahoma from 1990-92 and was the starting third baseman on the 1990 team that finished fourth at the NAIA College World Series, where he was named to the all-tournament team and was a Gold Glove recipient.

Scott holds a bachelor’s degree in health, physical education, recreation and dance and a master’s in secondary education-health/physical education from Southeastern Oklahoma. He is married to associate head coach Katie Scott and has three children, step-daughter Kenna Dawn Self and sons Mickey Ryan Scott and Gehrig Brooks Scott.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

Problem with raines is her husband in the head basketball coach at the same college.  Doubt she leave because of that. She would be a great choice I agree she is young and I think she will relate better to college athletes.

Edited by southsideguy

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Problem with raines is her husband in the head basketball coach at the same college.  Doubt she leave because of that. She would be a great choice I agree she is young and I think she will relate better to college athletes.

Thanks for catching that.  There was a story on her and this year's team on the news recently and I thought of her.  Honestly, didn't read the personal part of her bio.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:18 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Just for starters........

Angelo State's Travis Scott.

They are currently 52-7 and play in the DII World Series on May 24th.

http://www.angelosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=712&path=softball

Scott stresses the importance of fundamentals, and it has paid dividends over the last 13 seasons. Under his guidance, Angelo State has averaged 48 wins per season, hoisted five NCAA Division II South Central Region trophies and made five trips to the NCAA D-II National Championships, bringing home the national title in 2004 and finishing as national runner-ups in 2017. Scott guided ASU to six LSC Conference Championships and six LSC South Division titles in the last 13 years.  

During his reign, Scott has coached 29 ASU All-Americans, 55 NFCA All-Region players and 76 All-Lone Star Conference honorees. In addition, 19 Rambelles have been named Academic All-LSCteam under Scott.

As a five-time LSC Coach of the Year, Scott boasts a 626-209-1 record at ASU for a .748 winning percentage. Including his three seasons at Southeastern Oklahoma prior to his arrival in San Angelo, Scott has a career coaching record of 727-259-3 and a .735  winning percentage. He currently ranks 7th in NCAA D-II in winning percentage among active coaches.

A native of Ardmore, Okla., Scott brought a winning tradition with him when he arrived at ASU. In his three previous seasons as head coach at Southeastern Oklahoma – his alma mater – Scott claimed three LSC North Division titles and guided the Lady Savages to the South Central Regional Tournament in 2003. His teams also claimed a LSC championship in 2001 and finished as runners-up to ASU in 2003. Scott’s record at SOSUwas 101-50-2 and earned LSC North Coach of the Year in 2002.

Scott’s coaching legacy took roots when he was the head baseball and softball coach at Lone Grove High School in Lone Grove, Okla. His softball teams posted a cumulative record of 165-62, including four 30-plus-win seasons, five district championships, four regional titles and two runner-up finishes in the Class 3A  OSSAA State Tournament. Seven of his players garnered all-state recognition and 13 received college athletic scholarships.

As a high school baseball coach from 1993-2000, Scott posted a 131-74 record and numerous district championships and regional titles. His 1997 and 1998 teams were Class 4A state semi-finalists.

A skilled baseball player himself, Scott competed at Southeastern Oklahoma from 1990-92 and was the starting third baseman on the 1990 team that finished fourth at the NAIA College World Series, where he was named to the all-tournament team and was a Gold Glove recipient.

Scott holds a bachelor’s degree in health, physical education, recreation and dance and a master’s in secondary education-health/physical education from Southeastern Oklahoma. He is married to associate head coach Katie Scott and has three children, step-daughter Kenna Dawn Self and sons Mickey Ryan Scott and Gehrig Brooks Scott.

Rick

This makes the most sense based on where he is from and North Texas is definitely a step up. We could increase the salary, but not to the point that we would have to if we went after Lombardi or Gasso.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, Venson said:

This makes the most sense based on where he is from and North Texas is definitely a step up. We could increase the salary, but not to the point that we would have to if we went after Lombardi or Gasso.

There's so many great options out there I'm glad I'm not having to make the decision.

BTW...Angelo St went 1-2 in the series and was eliminated yesterday by 60-10 Southern Arkansas, who is coached by another great candidate..Jason Anderson.

http://muleriderathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=387&path=softball

Rick

• Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

BTW...Angelo St went 1-2 in the series and was eliminated yesterday by 60-10 Southern Arkansas, who is coached by another great candidate..Jason Anderson.

http://muleriderathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=387&path=softball

Rick

Lost in the semi to Saint Anselm.

http://muleriderathletics.com/news/2018/5/27/historic-season-comes-to-a-close-for-sau-softball-in-national-semifinals-against-no-2-seed-saint-anselm.aspx

Rick

• 2 weeks later...